LOTRO:Quick Start Guide
|ISBoxer Quick Start Guides|
|EVE Online - Српски / Srpsk|
|Lord of the Rings Online|
|World of Warcraft - Dansk - Deutsch - Nederlands - 中文版|
|Your game not listed?|
|Quick Start Guide for other games (older version here)|
ISBoxer is the most feature-packed multiboxing software available, and over the last 2 years has also become the easiest to use. As such, there are a lot of guides and videos available, some of which go into great detail on various features, many of which have been superseded by newer and easier to use features.
This guide will help you find the quickest and easiest way to get started multiboxing Lord of the Rings Online, and how to get the most out of ISBoxer without confusing yourself. We will try to cover in detail all of the topics a brand new multiboxer might need to know.
If at any point you don't understand something in this guide, please feel free to stop by the ISBoxer Chat Room for help.
Before configuring ISBoxer
Before you can configure ISBoxer, you will need to make sure that Inner Space (installed by ISBoxer) is running in the system tray (usually next to the clock, where all the icons are). ISBoxer is going to generate configuration for Inner Space, based on what you set up in the ISBoxer software.
If Lord of the Rings Online was auto-detected by Inner Space, it will already be listed in the Inner Space menu and available for use in ISBoxer. If not, you will need to select "Add Game" from the Inner Space menu, and point it to the Lord of the Rings Online launcher, TurbineLauncher.exe.
Next, make sure in the launcher options (there's a little down arrow thing in the upper right corner of the LOTRO launcher), that the following options are turned OFF:
- Load launcher when computer starts up
- Retrieve updates automatically
- Keep launcher open
These options must be disabled or ISBoxer cannot launch your characters correctly! Then in the options in the game, make sure it is set to DirectX9 or DirectX11 -- DirectX10 is not currently supported. (Note: As of ISBoxer 41, these settings should automatically be corrected for you.)
Start by using the Quick Setup Wizard, easily found in the Wizards menu. The Quick Setup Wizard is pretty much self-explanatory, and has as few options in it as possible.
After setting up your configuration in ISBoxer, Export the settings to Inner Space to activate the configuration. This can be done from the File menu. ISBoxer does not need to be running during play, but it is common to leave it open in case you want to make changes during gameplay. We do recommend trying out your configuration before making many changes, so will you know later whether you broke something or it was already broke.
After Exporting, you can launch your team through the Inner Space menu under "ISBoxer Character Sets", or right click on your Character Set in ISBoxer (in the top pane) and select Launch. See "Logging into the game" section below.
Logging into the game
- Right click the Inner Space icon in the system tray, and find the Character Set listed under the ISBoxer Character Sets menu
- Right click the Character Set in the top pane in ISBoxer, and select Launch
- or, Create a desktop Launch shortcut. To do so, right click the Character Set in the top pane in ISBoxer, and select Create desktop Launch shortcut
Note that later on if you need to re-launch a specific window (say it crashes for some reason or you closed out one of the windows), all you need to do is launch your Character Set again and it will simply fill in the missing windows.
When the Character Set is launched, one LOTRO launcher will come up at a time. ISBoxer will automatically keep a different LOTRO patcher configuration file per Character, so after the first time you log in the correct account names should be stored for you per instance. After logging in and clicking Play, the first game window will come up. Once the game window is up with ISBoxer activated, ISBoxer will continue launching the remaining instances in the same fashion.
Understanding Key Maps vs Repeater
Key Maps are powered by various Hotkeys, which when activated do something that you specifically want, like cast a spell. The only time Key Maps need to be off is if you intend to use those Hotkeys for other things instead, like to type in your password, or chat in the game.
- There are two ways of toggling Key Maps
- Hit the hotkey Shift+Alt+M
- or, if the icons as shown to the right are visible, click the "A,Z" button on the left to give it gray arrows. The icon is showing that, when enabled, this feature may translate a key into a different key than you pressed in different windows (which, as we are discussing, may make it difficult to enter your password or type in a chat window, etc)
Tip: While we have you looking at the icons, you might be wondering how to move them. The Quick Setup Wizard told you on the last page, but here it is again. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+G to bring up the in-game ISBoxer Control Panel, and then the Click Bar can be dragged to wherever you like. After moving it, click Sync to put it in the same position on all windows, and click Save to save the position for the next time you launch the game.
Repeater is a simple broadcast of exactly the buttons you push, and the way you move your mouse. The only time Repeater needs to be on is if you intend for every button you push and every movement of your mouse to be broadcast to the other windows, like to type in your password on all windows at once, or accept or complete a quest, and so on. It is possible to use Repeater more generally by assigning a white or black list, but this is not recommended –- a Key Map can instead be created with all of the keys and key combinations needed, using the Many new Mapped Keys window (see "Quickly add many broadcasting hotkeys" section below).
If you begin to move, and your characters run off in different directions, it is because you are broadcasting your movement keys!
- There are two ways of toggling Repeater
- Hit the hotkey Shift+Alt+R
- or, if the icons as shown above are visible, click the "A,A" button on the right to give it green arrows. The icon is showing that, when enabled, this feature will broadcast the key you press to all of the other windows.
Note that if both Key Maps and Repeater are on, they are both active, and Key Maps always trump Repeater.
Quickly add many broadcasting hotkeys
ISBoxer's Mapped Key Wizard will help you quickly and easily create many hotkeys of different types, like these:
- Hotkeys that just broadcast
- Hotkeys that Round-robin
- Hotkeys that broadcast and temporarily enable Mouse Repeat until you click
- ... and more, but these are most common
Here's how to use the Mapped Key Wizard:
- In the top left pane, under Key Maps, select "Combat or Non-combat
- In the bottom left pane, right click on Mapped Keys and select Mapped Key Wizard.
- The wizard will ask you to pick a type of Mapped Key to create, and provides descriptions of each kind. Pick the one that sounds the most like you would like to configure now, and click Next
- The next and final page of the wizard will have options specific to the kind of key you're setting up, usually including:
- The Key Combination(s) to set up for broadcasting
- The Target window(s) to send the key to
- Whether to Hold the broadcasted key while you hold the Hotkey, or to instant-fire it when you Press, or Release the Hotkey. Note that if you'll be broadcasting a movement key, you will probably need to use the Hold mode.
- Click Finish
- Export to Inner Space!
One of the things the Quick Setup Wizard sets up is Instant Swap. What this feature does is sync the actual resolution of all of the game windows, such that even when shrunk, the windows are still rendering at the full resolution. This will somewhat reduce your framerate (FPS), but is required to enable Instant Swap and provide perfect mouse broadcasting. If you don't need Instant Swap or perfect mouse broadcasting, a performance increase can be achieved by simply disabling this option in your Window Layout.
To disable Instant Swap:
- In the top pane, click on your Window Layout under Window Layouts. It will usually have the same name as your Character Set
- In the bottom right pane near the top under Main region switcher, uncheck Instant swap