A Window Layout defines window appearance and behavior for associated Character Sets.
- Regions define possible window positions
- Slots (Characters from your Character Sets), may be assigned a Home Region, where they will typically stay
- Swap Groups define placement rules, such as the Active Region where an activated Slot should swap to for a "Main" area, for groups of Regions
- One Roaming Slot, having no Home Region, can be set per Swap Group. The Roaming Slot, if one is configured, will borrow a Home Region when another window takes its place in the Active Region. This setting is used for squeezing more windows into fewer Regions.
- A Reset Region can be set per Swap Group, with Instant Swap enabled, to try to adjust the actual game resolution
Creating a Window Layout
There are multiple ways to make a Window Layout. It is recommended to start with a style generated by the Quick Setup Wizard or Window Layout Wizards, and manually adjust them as needed. The wizards provide a variety of styles to choose from, and some common modifications to those styles are also built in as options.
Window Layout Wizard
There are four ways to access the Window Layout Wizard:
- Under the Wizards menu (Alt+W)
- From the right-click context menu of the "Window Layouts" node in the upper left pane
- From the right-click context menu of any Character Set
- From the right-click context menu of the "Window Layouts" node found in the bottom left pane, after first selecting a Character Set in the upper left pane
Tip: Using either method 3 or 4 from the above list will save you, on average, approximately 6.27 seconds because the first step where you choose which Character Set you'd like to use is skipped, and the Character Set that you had currently selected will be automatically chosen instead.
Window Layout generator
The Window Layout generator is available from both the Quick Setup Wizard and the Window Layout Wizard.
The main area on the Window Layout generator page shows a preview of the selected Window Layout. The drop-down box above the preview has a generated set of styles matching the generator properties selected to the right. Each generator property has a description that can be read at the bottom of the properties panel, and above the property area is a brief description of the Window Layout. The Wizard can be resized and the description box at the bottom of the properties pane can be made larger, if you need more visibility.
We recommend first browsing the available styles, and then making adjustments to properties. Adjusting properties will reset the drop-down box with new versions of the available styles for you to browse.
Modifying a Window Layout
- A Character Set may be assigned a Window Layout to apply the layout when playing that Character Set
- A Monitor layout is permanently stored with the Window Layout
- ISBoxer.com links tagged with Window Layouts
- ISBoxer.com Window Layouts forum
- Window Layout generator
- Character Set
- Quick Setup Wizard