FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Secondary screen completely black

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Sendoden

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Secondary screen completely black

Hi,

I'm unsure if this is layout specific or game specific as I only play Everquest with IsBoxer.

Here is my pastebin: http://pastebin.com/UUEpdVZ9

And a picture of the issue attached. Oddly enough it used to work fine and I took a break from EQ for a bit (few months), and it no longer works. I've tried messing with a few of the different settings and window sizes to no avail, anything someone can help with?

Thanks,
Sen
Attachments
blank_screen.jpg
blank_screen.jpg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 16793 times
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: Secondary screen completely black

The serer select screen is usually a bit funny, but if that is supposed to be a game screen then it is more likely to be something else causing the issue, like a graphics driver or some overlay software.

A diagnostic would be useful.
<<

Sendoden

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:13 pm

bob wrote:The serer select screen is usually a bit funny, but if that is supposed to be a game screen then it is more likely to be something else causing the issue, like a graphics driver or some overlay software.

A diagnostic would be useful.

Got the Diagnostic, here http://pastebin.com/T1qiZ4Ai. Anything else you would need from me? System specs/drivers?
<<

bob

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:54 am

I'm going to guess that you have 2 monitors.... other than that I don't need much more to make an assessment.

The things I would try are:

1. Untick the options on the characters for VideoFX viewers stay when in background. It is unneeded, and means that videofx wouldn't work anyway because you have no sources because they are blocked (you do have the potential for an "other" source I suppose, but I'm sure you would have said that earlier).
  2. If you have DPI scaling set in Windows, set it back to 100% (depending on Windows version this is in different places, see below for Windows 10).
  3. Try shutting down Razer InGame engine and it' sassociated helpers
  4. Check to see if the GeForce Experience does not have "sharing" enabled. If it is enabled, disable it.
  5. Disable the intel graphics device (if you have a laptop you may not be able to do this).
  6. Use the standard EQ install from Daybreak rather than the steam install (if steam is pushing it's overlay into the game then it may not work).
  7. Remove Avast (e.g. uninstall it - as a test, you can always put it back again)

Windows 10 DPI scaling
<<

Sendoden

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:49 am

So i went through your list and tried to disable/test each one and then all together. None appeared to help.

I am using a laptop so I am unable to disable the intel, however I can force my laptop to use the Nvidia card natively which I also tried. Oddly enough if I switch EQ to use my Intel graphics card both windows will display. So now I have to figure out why that is.
<<

bob

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:28 am

Alrighty, so there have been oddities in the past with the Intel Graphics drivers on laptops, and usually a change in driver has corrected the problem. You could check for any updates, just in case you don't have a current release, or failing that, see if you can revert to an older version.

Some people with Toshiba Qosimo's had some interesting problems, but reverting to v 9.17.10.2828 for the Intel graphics fixed their issues. Unfortunately all the little busy helpers want to update it, so they have to be vigilant to make sure it does not.
<<

Sendoden

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 am

I think the problem more lies with the NVIDIA GTX 980M card as that's the one causing the black secondary screen. When using my built in Intel HD 4600 both windows display fine you can see in the screenshot.
Attachments
intel_card.JPG
intel_card.JPG (122.36 KiB) Viewed 16748 times
<<

bob

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 am

You could be right. That will provide double the amount of things to check :), and potentially update/revert drivers on.

I wasn't discounting what you said before, just going with the things that have corrected issues previously.
<<

Sendoden

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:34 am

Seems odd that it will display 1 window fine but not the secondary one with GTX 980m card. I've tried a fresh install of the non beta drivers and same thing.
<<

Sendoden

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Still nothing sadly, however I notice when I quick switch windows I sometimes get a glimpse of what is in the secondary window. And it appears to be stretched out so it shows just a corner very briefly. Any ideas?
Next

Return to Window Layouts