FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Freeze game

Moderator: MiRai

<<

KriS

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:47 am

Freeze game

Hi,

very often I experience screen freeze for 1-3 seconds.
It's not related with one slot and freeze game on all of them but randomly.
Of course I see it the most on slot1 because it's my primary slot, but I've got captured video when game freeze on slot 1 and slot 2.
It's not a problem with connection and not with GPU performance.

What I can check or do to eliminate this issue?
After freeze my chars are desynchronized or I die and it's very annoying.

Here you can check how it's looks on my side: http://goo.gl/oY4DhF

movie 1 : 54sec
movie 2 : 38sec
movie 3 : 55sec (slot2) and 56sec (slot1)
Last edited by KriS on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Freeze game

It's not a problem with connection and not with GPU performance.

I agree that it's certainly not a problem with network, that would look totally different.

However, it looks exactly like either CPU, GPU or a disk/RAM loading issue, especially considering that in each instance of the lag you've shown on video there's a lot of mobs and particle effects.

How are you ruling out the possibility of GPU issues?

What you should do is check this HOWTO: Tweak your framerate, Identifying framerate bottlenecks -- use the tool to observe GPU usage, RAM usage, etc and typically when you hit that lag spike you should see something maxing out. If CPU, GPU or RAM are hitting 100% you'll need to either decrease usage of that resource, or upgrade it, to improve performance.

You can decrease CPU and GPU usage overall by slightly reducing your FPS limits in ISBoxer. Also if you're using a round-robin CPU Strategy, definitely consider the All windows use all CPUs strategy. Both of these things can be easily adjusted for all of your Slots at once by using the CPU Strategy Wizard.
<<

KriS

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:13 pm

thx for a quick response (as always ;) )

I added 4 images to googledrive folder - make this screenshot after about 5 second when when screen was frozen at slot1.

I've got GTX780 and two SSD drive connected to Dell H700 SAS raid controller in RAID1 configuration, 16GB RAM and as you can see I use about 50% of my cpu/gpu.
I play some time ago with cpu strategy wizard but nothing was change.
I've got this issue from long time, but never have had time to write post here :)
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Are those enterprise SSD's?

Also are the firmware and the drivers for the H700 compatible? When you start mucking around with fancy hardware, you also get fancy problems. I ran into a situation a long time ago when the array on my SQL Server would start shitting itself every 7 days like clockwork. Every Sunday to be annoying. After lots of cajoling of the systems guy, it was determined that a recent rebuild of the server by said systems guy had also involved updating all the drivers on the HBA, but not the firmware, and unfortunately the combination of the two was incompatible and caused a buffer overflow to occurs after 7 days uptime.
<<

KriS

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:16 pm

No, it's not enterprise - I use this model http://www.corsair.com/en/force-series-3-180gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive

And yes it's compatible with my raid card. If I'll have problems with my raid card I'll experience problems with all system not only with slot1 (or other) when I play game ;)

I'm sure for 99% it's not problem with my hardware but I'll check everything if someone tell me what I should check.
<<

bob

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:31 pm

I was more trying to point you at looking at the bigger picture. You need to try and check everything in your setup. Also, you pointed out in your original post that it was not just slot 1. I was pointing out that sometimes it is unexpected things which have unexpected consequences.

I'm with Lax. When the freezes are occurring it is when there are a lot of effects going on in the graphics, so there is some kind of spike somewhere, whether a disk read/memory page or page fault/wait on resources, GPu/CPU spike, Antivirus having a peek/ who knows without detailed logging from the time of the occurrence.

Recently it has been noted that a lack of available space on your drive can cause issues (anything over 80% full will adversely affect performance, sometimes less on SSD's). Also graphic effects are performance hitters in games. Turn them down low on all clients and see if that stops the issue. If it does, turn them on/set higher settings 1 by 1 until you start getting this issue again. Then you know that you can't have your last setting.

Failing that, Performance Monitor could be your friend to log details in the background so you can review it later and see what is peaking during your spikes.

edit:
Also consumer drives are not designed for enterprise controllers, so you need to be careful with that. The consumer device will behave unexpectedly for an enterprise level controller.
E.G. Enterprise raid controllers are designed specifically to operate certain error checking on board, and expect the drive firmware to perform a read and report the state immediately. If there is a bad sector/location the raid controller can regenerate the bad data from checksums or read from another device, so the device does not need to try and perform multiple reads; whereas consumer drives firmware will perform re-reads of bad sectors/locations over and over again, because they are not expected to be operating in a recoverable raid system. What does this all mean for you? Allah only knows, (or Mohummad, or Shiva, or whichever deity pleases you). It may not affect you at all. It depends too much on the particular hardware you have.

Finally, hba/raidcard firmware, drivers, drive/device (and device firmware) (ssd/hdd) are all different parts of the subsystem and each item needs to be compatible. All 4 of them. 5 if you include OS and sp level.
<<

KriS

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Bob everything what you wrote is true and I'm aware this issue too.
I'm technical guy, and as I wrote before I'm sure at 99% that it not problem with my computer.

I'll glad to help, but if I would like to check everything what you wrote it take me few hours :/ and some information are not accessible like compatibility issue for ssd/sas raid card.
I've enough space on my ssd drive, I don't have antivirus software, I don't see any errors log on my software for raid management, no errors in windows os.
I have newest drivers/firmwares for everything what I can update in my setup.

In Process Explorer which I use in my case I setup 0.5 refresh time so when I was have had any pick it should be visible too. (freeze takes more time then 0.5 sec).
<<

bob

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Fair enough. I'm glad you know the way of things. Stops me harping on about it :).

Back to the freezing issue then, if you monitor each core of the CPU does one max out?

I notice from the images that the System Commit is peaking at almost the full 16GB. I suspect that you are potentially getting some paging action (at some point - not necessarily when these screenies were taken), but nothing else is majorly sticking out.
So it's back to reducing the in game settings, the FPS of the game, checking the CPU allocation as per ISboxer (all CPUs as Lax suggested), shutting down/removing non essential programs.

You could provide a copy of your config and a diagnostic, as these are helpful for providing further suggestions or spotting known problem software.
http://isboxer.com/wiki/Configuration_Sharing
http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:22 am

Are you using the development build of Inner Space? If so, I would suggest trying the live (stable) version. Assuming you're on the dev version:

1) Right-click the IS tray icon and select Patcher
2) Deselect the option to 'download test patches'
3) Completely restart IS and let it patch
<<

KriS

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:35 am

bob wrote:Back to the freezing issue then, if you monitor each core of the CPU does one max out?

No, I didn't notice any max out value of any core.

bob wrote:So it's back to reducing the in game settings, the FPS of the game,[...]

I've set this down long time ago - every settings are as low as possible.

bob wrote:checking the CPU allocation as per ISboxer (all CPUs as Lax suggested), shutting down/removing non essential programs.

I've Intel Core i7-4770K processor - now I use core1,2 for slot1, core3,4 for slot 2, core5,6 for slot3 and core7,8 for slot 4.

bob wrote:You could provide a copy of your config and a diagnostic, as these are helpful for providing further suggestions or spotting known problem software.

Configuration Sharing
https://privatepaste.com/a3c5c648c9

Diagnostics
https://privatepaste.com/f28c7cf53b

MiRai wrote:Are you using the development build of Inner Space?

Yes, I use it. Ok, I'll back to stable version before my next game play.

BTW - I added more videos - oldest one is from September 2014

movie 4 - slot1 frozen (no mobs)
movie 5 - slot1 frozen
movie 6 - slot1 frozen (no mobs)
movie 7 - slot1 frozen (no mobs)
movie 8 - slot2 frozen
movie 9 - slot1, 2 and 3 frozen
movie 10 - slot1 frozen
movie 11 - slot1 frozen
Next

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected