FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Down-resolution on dx-nothing

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Stormcrow

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 am

Down-resolution on dx-nothing

Hi all,

Looking for some help with a window layout puzzle that has been winding me up a treat. I'm working on a macbook pro retina, but in windows 8 through Boot Camp, not sure if this is significant.

My game is Eve Online

What I'm trying to achieve is relatively simple, on the single laptop screen, I want a stacked layout using 2 real characters (currently, rising to 5 in time if the macbook copes) and a DX Nothing window on top, however in order to make this less resource intensive I'm trying to do the whole thing at 1900x1200 instead of the crazy-high native resolution (2560x1600).

I've watched the tutorial about running at lower than native res, and I have tried adding the additional region and setting it's resolution to 1900x1200, then setting this region as the swap group reset region. This does work nicely for the two game windows, but it does not seem to work for the DXNothing window, which appears to be dimensioned for the native resolution, but showing only the 1900x1200 on screen - i.e. there is a load of dxnothing space that is effectively "off screen".

If I try to force the dxnothing window to 1900x1200 by specifying the size of it's region, what I get instead is the game windows pushed to the top left taking up only a part of the screen. i.e. in this case dxnothing fills the screen, but the game windows do not.

I have tried switching instant switching off and on, neither works, and I have tried setting the size of all windows specifically to 1900x1200, which also doesn't work.

As I type this I realise perhaps I can just live with DXNothing window being 2550x1600 and just let it have unused space off screen, perhaps that will work, though I don't know what will happen with broadcast, perhaps nothing bad... but I'm now a bit obsessed with figuring out why it can't all just be 1900x1200 and perfectly aligned. :)

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Stormy
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 am

Re: Down-resolution on dx-nothing

Simple approach is to put the DXNothing region into it's own swap group. The swap group does not need a reset/active region. the DXNothing will then use the dimensions provided by the region size as the specific dimension.
<<

Stormcrow

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:28 am

Hi Jonesy,

Thank you for the suggestion, I have now tried this but it does not seem to work. Essentially what I get is a dxnothing window which seems to be a far lower resolution actually than the main game windows...

Both game windows show the correct 1920x1200 resolution, and display full screen. DXNothing also displays full screen but appears significantly stretched... so when I place a videofx source on char 1, then an equivalent viewer on dxnothing window, the viewer is far larger (in terms of screen real estate) than it should be - greatly magnified.

I've tried... changing the dxnothing region resolution, which doesn't seem to help. I've tried with instant swapping on and off (actually I think 'on' made it worse but neither gave the desired result), and I've tried with dxnothing in swap region 2 both with and without a reset region, with no joy.

Any other things I can try?
Thanks
Stormy
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:29 am

<<

Stormcrow

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks MiRai,

This is the current profile, where I have returned it to the state where I th

http://www.privatepaste.com/01c5da8e72

The relevant window layout is TestRat2. The layout is based on: Stacked windows with no room for task bar, Region 1-2 for toons, region3 for dxnothing, region 4 added as a reset window for regions 1 and 2, and region 3 in a separate swap group as per jonesy advice.

Many Thanks,
Stormy
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:37 am

In the profile you linked, your dxNothing window is 2560x1600. Manually resize the region to 1900x1200, export, and that should be it.
<<

Stormcrow

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks for the continued help.

Sorry to say, that's not fixed it... I tried that before and I have tried it again now...

I have a source on char 1 and a viewer with size 912x468, which takes up 3/4 of the horizontal screen real estate on the dxnothing window... by manually resizing that viewer, I can see that the dxnothing dimensions are now about 1280x780, but when I alt-tab, the "mini" screen view shows that the full real estate extends far beyond what I can see on screen.

Stormy
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:54 am

Stormcrow wrote:Thanks for the continued help.

Sorry to say, that's not fixed it... I tried that before and I have tried it again now...

I have a source on char 1 and a viewer with size 912x468, which takes up 3/4 of the horizontal screen real estate on the dxnothing window... by manually resizing that viewer, I can see that the dxnothing dimensions are now about 1280x780, but when I alt-tab, the "mini" screen view shows that the full real estate extends far beyond what I can see on screen.

Stormy

Honestly, this post is a little confusing and I'd like to see an updated version of your profile as you have it now after making those changes above.
<<

Stormcrow

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:04 am

No problem, it is confusing me also.

http://www.privatepaste.com/da564a3e8c

Above is the new profile, with dxnothing region set to 1920x1200.

As best I can describe it is something like this:
When I start innerspace with this config, the following happens:
1. Toon 1 loads at 1920x1200 (using about 3/4 of the screen) then resets to full screen - so now displaying the game full screen on the laptop screen but at reduced 1920x1200 res. This is correct.
2. Toon 2 does the same
3. DXNothing then loads, however it appears to behave abnormally... my suspicion as a former software engineer is honestly that it appears to behave illogically so I wonder if there is a bug... my guess, it initially loads at 1920x1200 at full screen, then undergoes a similar resize to the character windows, resizing by the same ratio as the character windows when they went from 1920x1200 part screen to full screen. You then end up with a dxnothing that is actually 1920x1200 pixels however it extends beyond the boundaries of the screen so the pixels on screen are actually about 1280x780. This means any source from a character window is effectively magnified on the dxnothing window when placed there as a viewer.

Stormy
<<

Stormcrow

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:07 am

Regarding the Alt-Tab reference, what I mean is that when you use alt-tab to cycle through active windows under Microsoft Windows, you see a miniature view of each window. When I see the miniature view of the dxnothing window, the videofx viewer proportion looks correct for 1920x1200, however when dxnothing is in the foreground, only about 2/3 of that miniature view is actually shown on screen.
Next

Return to Window Layouts