FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Should I have 1 directory or multiple directories for LOTR?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ronin79

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:23 am

Should I have 1 directory or multiple directories for LOTR?

I'm currently boxing 3 chars on ISBoxer running from one directory. I'm just wondering if running each char from seperate directories would be better to improve performance? If so could someone please show me how to set it up?
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:33 am

Re: Should I have 1 directory or multiple directories for LOTR?

There is a section in the LotRO Quick Start Guide on exactly this topic http://isboxer.com/wiki/LOTRO:Quick_Start_Guide#Using_multiple_game_folders. Please note the part where it advises against multiple folders for a number of reasons.

Maybe someone who actually boxes LotRO will pop along with some advice.
<<

Ronin79

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:41 am

Thx for the reply,

After reading the link I've decided just to use a single directory. I would like to say what a great program you have made its made LOTR more enjoyable playing hunter, ministrel and burglar at the same time. I'm currently using the trial version and plan on subscribing when its over:)
<<

tanker

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Ronin79 wrote:I'm currently boxing 3 chars on ISBoxer running from one directory. I'm just wondering if running each char from seperate directories would be better to improve performance? If so could someone please show me how to set it up?

I've run six toons out of a single directory without any issues. Multiple directories can actually hurt performance. For example:

You wander into a store with your team.
All six games think 'I need to know what that table looks like, I'll get it from the object file'
All six games open the object file and read the sector(s) containing the object.

Now, if you have one directory the OS reads the sector into cache and gives it to all six games at the same time.
If you have multiple directories, the OS has to read the object data from six different places on the hard disk, so it takes a lot longer and requires more memory.

If you have lots of memory you MAY gain performance by having separate directories on different hard drives, but I kinda doubt it.

Also, invest in a solid state drive (SSD). You'll love it....

Return to Lord of the Rings Online