FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ISBoxing EverQuest: Mounts

Moderator: MiRai

<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:36 pm

ISBoxing EverQuest: Mounts

This section is not so much of a how-to regarding mounts, rather it is intended to document a bug with casting mounts in background windows which do not have focus. Ideally, this will save new users some time and concern trying to figure out if the problem lies within their ISBoxer Mapped Key, their computer, or something else. Rest assured the problem is not yours alone.

ISSUE
Casting mounts in background windows can cause the mount to become orphaned from the character.

IMAGE 01

At the time this section was written, I was using two computers with Multi-computer helper. I ran two sessions on the primary computer and three on the second computer, all with a full screen stacked layout. Out of five characters, at any given time only two of them will have focus, one on each computer. This left three sessions in the background. Image 01 was taken after sending my mount Mapped Key to Window: all w/o Current. Please note, of the four characters which cast the mount, only two of them are actually mounted. From left to right:
  1. CLR: 2nd Computer: 3rd Window: Mount is orphaned
  2. SHM: 2nd Computer: 2nd Window: Mounted
  3. DRU: 2nd Computer: 1st Window: Mounted
  4. BRD: 1st Computer: 2nd Window: Mount is orphaned

IMAGE 02

HOW DO I FIX THIS IF IT HAPPENS TO ME?
Image 02 was taken from the Cleric's screen while in this orphaned mount state. When this bug occurs, typing "/dismount" outputs the error message "You are not currently on a mount." Attempting to click your mount again, outputs the error message "You are already on a mount." The buff icon is showing in the Buff Window, yet the character is unable to "/dismount" or re-cast the mount. The only way to fix this is to ALT-Tab to the bugged character and manually click the buff icon off with the mouse.

HOW DO I PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING TO ME?
I have been unsuccessful with any method of *consistently* mounting non-focused Characters. As illustrated in Image 01, the Shaman is in a background session, yet did not bug out.

I have tried cycling windows fast, faster, slow, slower, "Make window believe it is foreground" checked and unchecked, Window: all w/o Current, various combinations of ATGs and what not. Invariably, one or more toons will bug out with no rhyme or reason as to which Character or what their window location or order in the stack is. The only way I have found to prevent this from occurring is to make *positively* sure the Character casting the mount has focus when the casting starts, maintains focus throughout the entire casting cycle, with focus being switched to the next window only upon completion of the current window's casting.

Unfortunately, this leaves one stuck casting mounts individually, one at a time. Sorry. If someone can solve this problem, please post how to go about doing so.

REFERENCE
More information can be found here regarding different Mapped Keys, Do no advance to the next step ... for at least X seconds, etc. There's any number of methods for broadcasting, key mapping, or repeating commands or clicks to item Hotbuttons, /social Hotbuttons, or /useitems based upon User preference. The variety of methods available is beyond the scope of this section.

RETURN TO ISBOXING EVERQUEST: TABLE OF CONTENTS

The End.

2018-03-23: Fixed broken image links and typos.
Last edited by firescue17 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:40 am, edited 16 times in total.
<<

Alge

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:29 am

Re: ISBoxing EverQuest: Mounts

First, thank you for continuing to share your experience and knowledge with the community.

Second, I have found a method that works well enough for me that doesn't involve switching windows. That means that only very rarely will I get an orphaned mount using this technique.

Before mounting I use a formation Mapped Key to spread my team out. Then I have a 6 step Mapped Key that just sends the mount command to one window at a time. I just have to press the same key 6 times. I generally wait until the mount is about half cast on one character before pressing the key again to initiate the next cast.
<<

firescue17

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:22 am

Re: ISBoxing EverQuest: Mounts

2018-03-23: Fixed broken image links and typos.

Return to EverQuest