FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

TOR won't load any more. Error Code -23

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Narook

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:03 pm

TOR won't load any more. Error Code -23

It has been about 4 weeks since I have played TOR, half of that time was spent in hospital. Everything was fine back then. I loaded it up today to start on the patches and I get 2 error windows.

launcher.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

And about 10 seconds later, this one pops up.

Inner Space
Failed to execute "D:\Games\Star Wars\The Old Republic\launcher.exe". Inner Space Launcher Error Code -23.

Normally I try solve all this stuff myself. But with my iffy vision and constant headaches I do not have the focus nor the patience for a lot of trail and error. So I figured I'd get help. I live alone, so my computer was off when I was in hospital, no one messed with it. TOR launchers fine if I do it outside of Inner Space. I uninstalled and reinstalled Inner Space and ISBoxer, I should not have done that. It did not help and only made me lose the list of images I added to ISBoxer, so now I have to do all that again.

I think that is all I have tried so far. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Re: TOR won't load any more. Error Code -23

If the game has patched, then it is possible that something has changed within it that requires an update to Innerspace.

However to rule that out, usually we start with a diagnostic to see if there is anything obvious.

You might also consider grabbing the complete error detail. Usually there is a little more to the error message. Perhaps a more details button?
Error code -23 means that the game failed to launch.

If the patch you were referring to was infact an InnerSpace update, then you might want to try reverting to the prior release.
<<

Narook

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:27 pm

bob wrote:If the game has patched, then it is possible that something has changed within it that requires an update to Innerspace.

However to rule that out, usually we start with a diagnostic to see if there is anything obvious.

You might also consider grabbing the complete error detail. Usually there is a little more to the error message. Perhaps a more details button?
Error code -23 means that the game failed to launch.

If the patch you were referring to was infact an InnerSpace update, then you might want to try reverting to the prior release.

I was referring to the TOR patch, but that had not even been started at that point.

I'll toss up the diags when I can. Right now the game is patching outside of Inner Space, so I have to wait for it to be done.

There was no more details button on either error window I am afraid. Just what I typed out.

Reverting Inner Space doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll try that out once the game is patched too. Thanks for the quick reply.
<<

bob

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:57 am

You usually patch the game by launching the normally, and not via InnerSpace, so you shouldn't get any error message from InnerSpace while patching.
<<

Narook

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:08 am

Game has finished patching, so I was able to get the diag. There is 2 processes for TOR, so I got both. http://pastebin.com/4HST3KK2 and http://pastebin.com/sXjCAEMB

Before I did the diag I tried reverting Inner Spaces version, I had no luck. I went all the way back to Inner Space 1.13 Build 5982, not sure how old that is exactly as the patch notes are not time stamped, but I believe it was an old one.
<<

bob

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:04 am

I was only thinking build 6089.

Anyway,
You might want to shutdown/uninstall the Razer software. It is hooking the game process and can cause issues.
You might also consider setting an exclude in your Antivirus from active/realtime scanning/protection on InnerSpace.exe and SWTOR (the exe name is ??). This is not the same as excluding from scanning altogether though, so as a test you may need to uninstall your antivirus. This article from MS, while long, explains some stuff about filter drivers and then in a small bit of text explains....
KB816071 wrote:Most antivirus software uses filter drivers that work together with a service to scan for viruses. These filter drivers are still loaded after the service is deactivated. These filter drivers scan files as they are opened and closed on a hard disk. For troubleshooting purposes, temporarily remove the antivirus software

The Bitraider module for SWTOR appears to be loading in the process. This might be just the one loaded outside of InnerSpace. Make sure all launchers loaded up by Innerspace have disabled BitRaider. It should be doing this anyway when you export, but worth checking.

Also, make sure InnerSpace is actually running first. It's not in your process list.
<<

Narook

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:25 am

bob wrote:I was only thinking build 6089.

What can I say, I like to be thorough.

bob wrote:Anyway,
You might want to shutdown/uninstall the Razer software. It is hooking the game process and can cause issues.
You might also consider setting an exclude in your Antivirus from active/realtime scanning/protection on InnerSpace.exe and SWTOR (the exe name is ??). This is not the same as excluding from scanning altogether though, so as a test you may need to uninstall your antivirus. This article from MS, while long, explains some stuff about filter drivers and then in a small bit of text explains....
KB816071 wrote:Most antivirus software uses filter drivers that work together with a service to scan for viruses. These filter drivers are still loaded after the service is deactivated. These filter drivers scan files as they are opened and closed on a hard disk. For troubleshooting purposes, temporarily remove the antivirus software

The Bitraider module for SWTOR appears to be loading in the process. This might be just the one loaded outside of InnerSpace. Make sure all launchers loaded up by Innerspace have disabled BitRaider. It should be doing this anyway when you export, but worth checking.

Also, make sure InnerSpace is actually running first. It's not in your process list.

I use the Razer software ingame. Been using it for years without hiccups. I did try shutting it down though, didn't help.

InnerSpace.exe is already in my AVs exclude list as it has always detected it as a virus, pesky thing. I'll look into the TOR one, about to head to bed early. Headache is killing me.

No clue what so ever on the BitRaider stuff, I will google it tomorrow.

Never had InnerSpace running first before, well except for after the first time I load a launcher for the day. That's easily changed though.

Just one of those annoying issues were everything is working fine one day and then gone to hell the next. I'll play around as much as my vision and head allows and report back when I can. Hopefully I can get it solved before my sub is up.
<<

Narook

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:38 am

Okay, so here is a real kick in the head. Decided to try disabling the AV before shutting down the PC for the night. Low and behold, launcher fires up. Not what I wanted to see, but hey, it narrows things down right. After I re-enabled it....it still works fine. I honestly don't get it, I'm more of a hardware guy than software, but hey, at least it is working and that is the main thing. Thanks for all ya time Bob, although I do feel like I have wasted it. I do appreciate it.
<<

bob

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:47 am

You may just need to resetup the exclusions too. Some AV will use signatures (hashes) rather than filenames to set the exclusions. This is despite the fact that the UI shows a file path/executable name. This means that sometimes it will look like it is setup correctly, but it isn't working because the executable has been updated since you set the exclusion.

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic