FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Two windows with repeat on?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

morwic

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:45 am

Two windows with repeat on?

Is there ever a reason to have repeater active in more than one window?

I've had this happen accidentally. Mostly when I turn it on then realize I'm on the wrong screen and go to the right one without turning it off.
It can catch you off-guard.

So I put a "repeater off to all other windows" action in with the step to toggle repeater on.

Seems innocuous, and now my scenario above will correct itself.

But am I missing a case where one might actually want it on in more than one window at a time?
I cannot think of one.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:48 am

Re: Two windows with repeat on?

So I put a "repeater off to all other windows" action in with the step to toggle repeater on.

To be more correct you'd actually want a Mapped Key Step Action to set the Repeater Toggle to Step 2, followed by a Do Mapped Key Action to do the Repeater Toggle -- this makes sure the icon and Shift+Alt+R hotkey are in the correct state, so you don't have to click/press it 2-3 times to turn on Broadcasting Mode when you go back to that window that had it on.

But am I missing a case where one might actually want it on in more than one window at a time?
I cannot think of one.

Uh, sure. Don't forget there are people doing things with ISBoxer that you're not doing, and therefore are probably doing and thinking of things that would suck for you, but are good for them.

Playing a game like Diablo 3, Broadcasting Mode is typically on by default, and the toggle affects all windows at a time instead of just one. So if you play 4 instances of D3, you probably want it on in all windows. Switch to another window, you want it in the same state so you can continue combat, etc.

Playing a game like WoW, it's off by default and the toggle affects only one window at a time. Turning on broadcasting mode is fairly rare. Some people would prefer it turn itself off when you switch windows, and get confused that it's still on in that window when they switch back. Entirely possible to set that up. But the way it is designed you can be broadcasting something (e.g. clicking through quest windows), quickly switch to the one window that isn't in the right spot and move it (or click on the right quest option, etc), and switch back to the broadcasting window to continue where you left off.
<<

morwic

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:15 pm

lax wrote:Playing a game like WoW,[repeater is] off by default and the toggle affects only one window at a time. Turning on broadcasting mode is fairly rare. Some people would prefer it turn itself off when you switch windows, and get confused that it's still on in that window when they switch back. Entirely possible to set that up. But the way it is designed you can be broadcasting something (e.g. clicking through quest windows), quickly switch to the one window that isn't in the right spot and move it (or click on the right quest option, etc), and switch back to the broadcasting window to continue where you left off.

It isn't obvious to me how to trigger an action on switching windows if I usually do it with mouse clicks rather than pressing keys. How would I do that? (eg to turn off repeater if I switch away from a window which has it on.) Or is that not possible?

P.S. I probably will not do this. I normally like the default behavior of staying on in the window where I turned it on while I switch to another temporarily. But I wanted to know how to do it anyway.
Last edited by morwic on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:21 pm

In the top left, select your character set. In the lower left select a slot (one of the numbers).
On the switching tab, there is a tickbox for "When I switch to this character..." you can tick, and then there is a radio button for "Do This Mapped Key"
<<

morwic

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:18 am

lax wrote:

To be more correct you'd actually want a Mapped Key Step Action to set the Repeater Toggle to Step 2, followed by a Do Mapped Key Action to do the Repeater Toggle -- this makes sure the icon and Shift+Alt+R hotkey are in the correct state, so you don't have to click/press it 2-3 times to turn on Broadcasting Mode when you go back to that window that had it on.
I guess I am being dense here, but... I tried to do what you said.

I can add a Mapped Key Step Action, target all other, to set the Activate Repeat key to step 2.

But when I try to do a "Do Mapped Key Action", target all other, to Activate Repeat, it says I cannot do that.
It says that "This Do Mapped Key Action is configured to do this same Mapped Key! You can't do that, that will freeze up your game."

What am I missing?
<<

Valerian

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:42 am

Without seeing your configuration, it's difficult to tell what you may have missed. You can share your config for us to take a look at if you like.

http://isboxer.com/wiki/Configuration_Sharing
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:48 am

But when I try to do a "Do Mapped Key Action", target all other, to Activate Repeat, it says I cannot do that.
It says that "This Do Mapped Key Action is configured to do this same Mapped Key! You can't do that, that will freeze up your game."

What am I missing?

My bad, I mis-interpreted what you said regarding putting it in the action with the step toggle repeater on.

I understand now that you're modifying the actual Activate Repeat mapped key. The assumption was that actually performing Step 2 would set the state off and correct the button images, and reset it to Step 1. You want to do it all manually instead.

My suggestion should have been:
1. The Mapped Key Step Action should set the Repeater Toggle to Step 1, not 2 (it would have advanced back to 1 via the Do Mapped Key Action). This will make it so the first press in each other window will for sure turn broadcasting on (without this Action, if a window had it turned off automatically, you have to hit the button 3 times to turn it on).
2. Instead of a Do Mapped Key Action, copy the Menu Button Action (and/or the Click Bar Button Action, if your ISBoxer config has the old Click Bar for toggles instead of the new Menu) that sets the image to "repeater off" (this will be in Step 2 if you're editing Step 1), send this to Window:All w/o Current. So the current window gets "repeater on" image, and the others get "repeater off" image.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Slightly off topic, but this thread also has a couple of ways to help prevent you forgetting that you have repeater turned on.
<<

morwic

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Thank you Lax.

I'm not actually going to bother with this, since I'm not using any of the buttons or menus or icons or indeed any of the fancy stuff that ISBoxer offers... my configuration is downright primitive.

But I do appreciate learning these things... eventually I might even get the energy to try some of the neater tricks that I see people talking about.
<<

morwic

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:45 pm

bob wrote:Slightly off topic, but this thread also has a couple of ways to help prevent you forgetting that you have repeater turned on.

Doesn't seem all that off-topic to me :) In fact I think I will set up the blinking reminder. Thanks, Bob

Return to Repeater