FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is it Possible to Change Resolution on the Fly?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Is it Possible to Change Resolution on the Fly?

I'm attempting to set up a new window layout. Previously, I've just run full-screen stacked and left it that. This is my first foray into advanced window layouts. I don't know if what I'm attempting is possible or how it will perform when swapping. I may get some of the terminology wrong too, so bear with me.

My full screen monitor is 1440 x 870, leaving room for the taskbar. The attached window layout is two 720 x 870 for side by side display, focus follows mouse, with a third, empty reset region of 1440 x 870 always on top in which I can move either display to with a Mapped Key for full screen. The slots are focusing properly; however, the view is obviously distorted when both slots are in the background 720 x 870 slot.

All I really need to see the majority of the time is if the characters are facing the proper direction. The 720 x 870 works fine for this, it's mostly irrelevant if the view is too small, compressed or distorted. When I need to read the fine print, or interact with a merchant, etc, I move the slot to the active region of 1440 x 870 and the view is correct and undistorted.

Here's where I'm stuck. I would like the side by side 720 x 870 views to have an actual resolution of 720 x 870 for an undistorted view, and the always on top full screen view to have an actual resolution of 1440 x 870 for a normal, full screen view.

I think what I want is 5 regions with two swap groups (this is purely a guess):
Region 1: Slot 1, Swap Group 1, 720 x 870 size at location 0, 0
Region 2: Slot 2, Swap Group 1, 720 x 870 size at location 720, 0
Region 3: No Slot, Reset Region for Swap Group 1, 720 x 870

Region 4: No Slot, Swap Group 2, 1440 x 870 size at location 0, 0
Region 5: No Slot, Reset Region for Swap Group 2, 1440 x 870

Then I need to add some "New Window Style Action stuff" to the Mapped Key containing the already existing "New Window State Actions" to handle the resolution changes?

WINDOW LAYOUT
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Box xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <ObjectType>ISBoxer_Toolkit.Configs.WindowLayout</ObjectType>
  <SerializedObject>&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?&gt;
&lt;WindowLayout xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"&gt;
  &lt;UserScreenSet&gt;
    &lt;AllScreens&gt;
      &lt;UserScreen&gt;
        &lt;Bounds&gt;
          &lt;Left&gt;0&lt;/Left&gt;
          &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
          &lt;Width&gt;1440&lt;/Width&gt;
          &lt;Height&gt;900&lt;/Height&gt;
        &lt;/Bounds&gt;
        &lt;WorkingArea&gt;
          &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
          &lt;Height&gt;870&lt;/Height&gt;
        &lt;/WorkingArea&gt;
        &lt;Primary&gt;true&lt;/Primary&gt;
        &lt;DeviceName&gt;\\.\DISPLAY1&lt;/DeviceName&gt;
      &lt;/UserScreen&gt;
    &lt;/AllScreens&gt;
    &lt;Name&gt;&amp;lt;Window Layout-specified&amp;gt;&lt;/Name&gt;
  &lt;/UserScreenSet&gt;
  &lt;Name&gt;720 x 870 Tiled&lt;/Name&gt;
  &lt;Description&gt;This Window Layout features stacked windows with no border, the size of the full screen, on \\.\DISPLAY1. Swapping disabled. Leaves space for the Windows taskbar. This style is great in conjunction with Video FX to see parts of, or all of, the other windows.&lt;/Description&gt;
  &lt;FocusFollowsMouse&gt;true&lt;/FocusFollowsMouse&gt;
  &lt;InstantSwap&gt;true&lt;/InstantSwap&gt;
  &lt;SwapMode&gt;Never&lt;/SwapMode&gt;
  &lt;FocusClickMode&gt;ApplicationDefined&lt;/FocusClickMode&gt;
  &lt;RolloverStyle&gt;
    &lt;Enabled&gt;false&lt;/Enabled&gt;
    &lt;Scale&gt;1.5&lt;/Scale&gt;
    &lt;Rollup&gt;false&lt;/Rollup&gt;
    &lt;Frames&gt;10&lt;/Frames&gt;
  &lt;/RolloverStyle&gt;
  &lt;Regions&gt;
    &lt;Region&gt;
      &lt;CharacterSetSlot&gt;1&lt;/CharacterSetSlot&gt;
      &lt;SwapGroup&gt;0&lt;/SwapGroup&gt;
      &lt;Permanent&gt;true&lt;/Permanent&gt;
      &lt;AlwaysOnTopMode&gt;Normal&lt;/AlwaysOnTopMode&gt;
      &lt;Rect&gt;
        &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
        &lt;Width&gt;720&lt;/Width&gt;
      &lt;/Rect&gt;
      &lt;BorderStyle&gt;None&lt;/BorderStyle&gt;
    &lt;/Region&gt;
    &lt;Region&gt;
      &lt;CharacterSetSlot&gt;2&lt;/CharacterSetSlot&gt;
      &lt;Rect&gt;
        &lt;Left&gt;720&lt;/Left&gt;
        &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
      &lt;/Rect&gt;
    &lt;/Region&gt;
    &lt;Region&gt;
      &lt;CharacterSetSlot&gt;0&lt;/CharacterSetSlot&gt;
      &lt;AlwaysOnTopMode&gt;SometimesOnTop&lt;/AlwaysOnTopMode&gt;
      &lt;Rect&gt;
        &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
      &lt;/Rect&gt;
    &lt;/Region&gt;
  &lt;/Regions&gt;
  &lt;SwapGroups&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="2" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="0" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="1" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="2" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="3" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="4" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="5" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="6" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="7" /&gt;
  &lt;/SwapGroups&gt;
&lt;/WindowLayout&gt;</SerializedObject>
</Box>

MAPPED KEY
Code:
<Box xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <ObjectType>ISBoxer_Toolkit.Configs.KeyMaps.MappedKey</ObjectType>
&lt;MappedKey xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"&gt;
  &lt;Name&gt;Activate IS1:IS2&lt;/Name&gt;
  &lt;Description /&gt;
  &lt;SendNextClickBlockLocal&gt;false&lt;/SendNextClickBlockLocal&gt;
  &lt;ManualLoad&gt;false&lt;/ManualLoad&gt;
  &lt;ResetTimer&gt;0&lt;/ResetTimer&gt;
  &lt;ResetType&gt;Never&lt;/ResetType&gt;
  &lt;Mode&gt;Default&lt;/Mode&gt;
  &lt;Steps&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Stick&gt;0&lt;/Stick&gt;
      &lt;Stop&gt;false&lt;/Stop&gt;
      &lt;Stump&gt;false&lt;/Stump&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
        &lt;MappedKeyAction xsi:type="WindowStateAction"&gt;
          &lt;Target&gt;SYSTEM2-2012-06.is1&lt;/Target&gt;
          &lt;RegionType&gt;Reset&lt;/RegionType&gt;
          &lt;Action&gt;Fast&lt;/Action&gt;
          &lt;DeactivateOthers&gt;false&lt;/DeactivateOthers&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
          &lt;Target&gt;SYSTEM2-2012-06.is2&lt;/Target&gt;
          &lt;RegionType&gt;Background&lt;/RegionType&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
          &lt;RegionType&gt;Reset&lt;/RegionType&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
    &lt;Step&gt;
      &lt;Actions&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
        &lt;/MappedKeyAction&gt;
      &lt;/Actions&gt;
    &lt;/Step&gt;
  &lt;/Steps&gt;
&lt;/MappedKey&gt;</SerializedObject>
</Box>

Is this even possible?
If so, How will it perform when force swapping from 720 to 1440? I don't mind a flicker or delay as this will mostly be done in town or quest hubs, not during combat.
What do I need to add to what I have to get this working?

Thank you.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Is it Possible to Change Resolution on the Fly?

All I really need to see the majority of the time is if the characters are facing the proper direction. The 720 x 870 works fine for this, it's mostly irrelevant if the view is too small, compressed or distorted. When I need to read the fine print, or interact with a merchant, etc, I move the slot to the active region of 1440 x 870 and the view is correct and undistorted.

You might be making this out to be harder than it is.

You can generate a Window Layout that includes Swapping behavior and then after the wizard, change the Swapping option (e.g. to one of the Hotkey options) and open up the Regions editor and resize/place them wherever you want them. For example the "only when I press the Activate Current Window Hotkey" option will let you configure a Hotkey right in your Window Layout to send the current window to the Active Region (full screen).

Then the only thing will be that you want a Hotkey to set all windows to Background (which is their Home Region) -- the only unusual behavior here. Just a Window State Action to send the windows to Background, instantly, is fine (the defaults for a Window State Action, just set the Target)

If so, How will it perform when force swapping from 720 to 1440? I don't mind a flicker or delay as this will mostly be done in town or quest hubs, not during combat.

It's optional... you can do this instant and have distortion when they're side-by-side (because they will both render at 1440x870) or you can do it non-instant and the resolution will adjust each time between 1440x870 and 720x870 (slow). I would recommend the instant option, unless you need a perfect view both ways.
<<

firescue17

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:34 pm

That's what I did to get what I have now. I used the wizard, adjusted the 2 Background regions of 1440 x 870 to be rendered in a 720 x 870 area, hence the distortion. Hotkey to move it to the foreground of 1440 x 870 with no distortion.

I think this should more accurately state:

firescue17 wrote:All I really need to see the majority of the time is if the characters are facing the proper direction. The 720 x 870 works fine for this, it's mostly irrelevant if the view is too small, compressed or distorted EDIT: and it is not possible to change the actual resolution.

So, if the slots are all scrunched up when in the background and there's no possible way to do anything about it, I'm ok with the layout as is. If there is something I can do with Window Style Actions to have two separate and individual resolutions between the background and foreground to tie up loose ends and make it "pretty," that's what I would like to accomplish.
<<

firescue17

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:36 pm

lax wrote:or you can do it non-instant and the resolution will adjust each time between 1440x870 and 720x870 (slow).

Hmm. re-reading this, if I change the swap mode to slow, does that do what I want?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:38 pm

You started this layout with Full Screen Stacked, which does not include Swapping behavior, so I have to say no that's not quite what you did ;) The one you started with starts with Swapping set to Never, and each of the Regions has "Disable swapping" set to true.

If you want to tie up loose ends and make it look pretty, uncheck the "Instant Swapping" box on your Window Layout.

Hmm. re-reading this, if I change the swap mode to slow, does that do what I want?

Yes
<<

firescue17

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok, I re-ran the wizard, did some more experimenting and made some more notes on the issues I'm encountering.

Image 01

Image 01 is what I would like to see the majority of the time. This is 720 x 870 side by side, focus follows mouse. This is the view I would like for the majority of game play. I re-ran the wizard as you suggested and remembered why I started with full-screen stacked; it was to enable focus follows mouse. If swapping is enabled, focus follows mouse is disabled in the Toolkit. I also tried, "only when I press a Slot activate hotkey" and "only when I press the Activate Current Window Hotkey."

Image 02

Image 02 is what I would like to see *only* when a window is forced into that region via a mapped key. It is 1440 x 870.

As it stands now, if I set the reset region to 1440 x 870, the side by side display is scrunched up as it's displaying a 1440 width in a 720 window. If I set the reset region to 720, the full screen display is stretched out as it's displaying a 720 width in a 1440 window. When exporting, I get one of two messages:

* The ideal resolution for the game to be configured in based on your Window Layout is 1440x870. Game has window width=720.
* The ideal resolution for the game to be configured in based on your Window Layout is 720x870. Game has window width=1440.

I went back to the Mapped Key and experimented with all three swap methods also. No combination I have tried so far of any swap method in conjuction with any reset region, active region, both or neither at any resolution will display properly in both of the above views.
<<

firescue17

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Furthermore, what impact will this have on the placement of UI windows in-game. The answer to this might make the whole issue moot.

Looking at the virtualized eqclient.ini, it appears game instances run through ISBoxer always run in windowed mode regardless of windowed/full screen being selected in the EQ options page. Is this correct?

The reason I ask, I would like to run different UI layouts in different resolutions. UI_character_server.ini allows for different UI window placements in different full-screen resolutions in the same .ini. It only allows a single game UI window placement for windowed mode (you're either windowed or you're not).

If this is the case, that all ISBoxer instances use windowed mode regardless, I'll have to go back to full-screen stacked, or deal with the perspective issue and messed up UI layouts. In order to achieve different windowed game UI layouts, it would seem to me one would have to virtualize UI_character_server.ini per window layout.

I dunno. I'm grasping at straws and shooting in the dark. I'm beginning to think between EQ and ISBoxer, what I ultimately want for a layout isn't possible.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:40 pm

I re-ran the wizard as you suggested and remembered why I started with full-screen stacked; it was to enable focus follows mouse. If swapping is enabled, focus follows mouse is disabled in the Toolkit. I also tried, "only when I press a Slot activate hotkey" and "only when I press the Activate Current Window Hotkey."

Focus follows mouse is available for any of the Swapping options that do not start with "Always", including these two hotkey options.

When exporting, I get one of two messages:

* The ideal resolution for the game to be configured in based on your Window Layout is 1440x870. Game has window width=720.
* The ideal resolution for the game to be configured in based on your Window Layout is 720x870. Game has window width=1440.

Right, if you have Instant Swapping enabled and your Reset/Active region is 1440x870 it will say this is the ideal resolution. If Instant Swapping is disabled it will say 720x870.

No combination I have tried so far of any swap method in conjuction with any reset region, active region, both or neither at any resolution will display properly in both of the above views.

You should have Instant Swapping off (slow swapping...)... the 720x870 regions set as Home Regions... and the 1440x870 region set as the Active and Reset Regions.

Looking at the virtualized eqclient.ini, it appears game instances run through ISBoxer always run in windowed mode regardless of windowed/full screen being selected in the EQ options page. Is this correct?

The reason I ask, I would like to run different UI layouts in different resolutions. UI_character_server.ini allows for different UI window placements in different full-screen resolutions in the same .ini. It only allows a single game UI window placement for windowed mode (you're either windowed or you're not).

What you're missing on this one is that what matters for EQ's UI settings is whether EQ believes it is full screen mode or not. You can have the game set to full screen mode, and ISBoxer will be putting it in a window, but the game will still operate exactly as if it is full screen mode, if it is set to full screen mode in the game. It doesn't get the memo.
<<

firescue17

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:06 am

Ok, I've made the following changes:

1) Swap Hot Character to main region only when I press a Slot activate hotkey
2) Unchecked Use Instant window swapping
3) Set both the Active and Reset regions to Region 3 (1440 x 870)

Window Layout
Code:
  <ObjectType>ISBoxer_Toolkit.Configs.WindowLayout</ObjectType>
&lt;WindowLayout xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"&gt;
  &lt;UserScreenSet&gt;
    &lt;AllScreens&gt;
      &lt;UserScreen&gt;
        &lt;Bounds&gt;
          &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
          &lt;Height&gt;900&lt;/Height&gt;
        &lt;/Bounds&gt;
        &lt;WorkingArea&gt;
          &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
        &lt;/WorkingArea&gt;
        &lt;Primary&gt;true&lt;/Primary&gt;
        &lt;DeviceName&gt;\\.\DISPLAY1&lt;/DeviceName&gt;
      &lt;/UserScreen&gt;
    &lt;/AllScreens&gt;
    &lt;Name&gt;&amp;lt;Window Layout-specified&amp;gt;&lt;/Name&gt;
  &lt;/UserScreenSet&gt;
  &lt;Name&gt;720 x 870 Tiled&lt;/Name&gt;
  &lt;Description /&gt;
  &lt;FocusFollowsMouse&gt;true&lt;/FocusFollowsMouse&gt;
  &lt;InstantSwap&gt;false&lt;/InstantSwap&gt;
  &lt;SwapMode&gt;SlotActivate&lt;/SwapMode&gt;
  &lt;FocusClickMode&gt;ApplicationDefined&lt;/FocusClickMode&gt;
  &lt;RolloverStyle&gt;
    &lt;Enabled&gt;false&lt;/Enabled&gt;
    &lt;Scale&gt;1.5&lt;/Scale&gt;
    &lt;Rollup&gt;false&lt;/Rollup&gt;
    &lt;Frames&gt;10&lt;/Frames&gt;
  &lt;/RolloverStyle&gt;
  &lt;Regions&gt;
    &lt;Region&gt;
      &lt;CharacterSetSlot&gt;1&lt;/CharacterSetSlot&gt;
      &lt;Rect&gt;
        &lt;Left&gt;720&lt;/Left&gt;
        &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
      &lt;/Rect&gt;
    &lt;/Region&gt;
    &lt;Region&gt;
      &lt;CharacterSetSlot&gt;2&lt;/CharacterSetSlot&gt;
      &lt;Rect&gt;
        &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
      &lt;/Rect&gt;
    &lt;/Region&gt;
    &lt;Region&gt;
      &lt;CharacterSetSlot&gt;0&lt;/CharacterSetSlot&gt;
      &lt;AlwaysOnTopMode&gt;SometimesOnTop&lt;/AlwaysOnTopMode&gt;
      &lt;Rect&gt;
        &lt;Top&gt;0&lt;/Top&gt;
      &lt;/Rect&gt;
    &lt;/Region&gt;
  &lt;/Regions&gt;
  &lt;SwapGroups&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="2" ActiveRegion="2" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="0" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="1" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="2" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="3" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="4" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="5" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="6" /&gt;
    &lt;SwapGroup ResetRegion="-1" ActiveRegion="-1" PiPSqueakSlot="0" DeactivateSwapGroup="7" /&gt;
  &lt;/SwapGroups&gt;
&lt;/WindowLayout&gt;</SerializedObject>
</Box>

After exporting, this is what is rendering upon a freshly launched characterset

<<

firescue17

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:57 am

lax wrote:What you're missing on this one is that what matters for EQ's UI settings is whether EQ believes it is full screen mode or not. You can have the game set to full screen mode, and ISBoxer will be putting it in a window, but the game will still operate exactly as if it is full screen mode, if it is set to full screen mode in the game. It doesn't get the memo.

I understand that. I started over from scratch with a brand new wizard setup different from the one above and managed to reproduce the issue for the UI layouts. I recall seeing this long ago when I set up my original window layouts:

* Game is in Full Screen mode. ISBoxer requires the game to be in Windowed mode.

EQ must be run in Full Screen mode in order to save different in-game UI layouts for different resolutions. If I allow ISBoxer to make the above change, I can't save separate layouts. If I don't allow ISBoxer to make the change, the new window layout won't load.

Return to Window Layouts