FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Strange windowed resolution - need advice

Moderator: MiRai

<<

kerby499

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:19 am

Strange windowed resolution - need advice

I am runing lotro with 3 chars. I have a dual monitor setup.
First monitor ( 19 '' - 1280x1024 native ), second monitor ( 21 '' 1600x800 native ).
So i configured isboxer to use the first monitor for my main (1280x1024 ) and I put my toons
on the second - each runing at 800x600. I use the bottom half of the second monitor to run
my mp3 etc.

So I have 3 regions - one on first - two on second monitor.
The ingame resolution on the toons is set to 800x600, but every time I launch my
crew I have to adjust the ingame windowed resolution on the toons which is set to 1280x1024.

LotRo starts in this ingame configuration:

- full screen resolution: 800x600
- windowed resolution: 1280x1024 ( <= cant read anything unless I switch to 800x600 manually )

Every time I reload the configuration, e.g. if I reconfigure isboxer and export configuration to innerspace
the windowed resolution is reset again to 1280x1024 on my toons.

Both window layouts of the toons have configured 800x600 as size.
It seems that isboxer takes setting for the second monitor based on the first monitor.

See here:
Toon A:
Bottom right: 2080,535 ( it seems that isboxer adds 1280 from the first monitor,although it is on the second monitor )
Location: 1280,-65 ( to have the layout exactly to the upper left of the second monitor isboxer uses an offset of -65 to be zero ).
Size: 800,600

Toon B:
Bottom right: 2880,535 ( it seems that isboxer adds 1280 from the first monitor,although it is on the second monitor )
Location: 2080,-65 ( to have the layout exactly to the upper left of the scond monitor isboxer uses an offset of -65 to be zero ).

Is there a way to fix the windowed resolution so that they stay static ? ( "Force game to run in windowed mode" is set ).

thx in advance
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:43 am

Re: Strange windowed resolution - need advice

Every time I reload the configuration, e.g. if I reconfigure isboxer and export configuration to innerspace
the windowed resolution is reset again to 1280x1024 on my toons.
Is there a way to fix the windowed resolution so that they stay static ? ( "Force game to run in windowed mode" is set ).

The only related thing IS/ISBoxer will do is virtualize your UserPreferences.ini file, per Character, as configured under Virtual Files. If you manually created some Characters, they do not automatically get this virtual file applied, and will use the main UserPreferences.ini file. So that's one thing you could check (or share your configuration -- see the sticky at the top of each forum "How to share your config" -- which would help me interpret the issue here). The UserPreferences.ini file does indeed have different resolutions in it for Windowed vs not Windowed, and you could edit those values in these files on a per Character basis, if you like. ISBoxer is not modifying them, but allows the game to.

See here:
Toon A:
Bottom right: 2080,535 ( it seems that isboxer adds 1280 from the first monitor,although it is on the second monitor )
Location: 1280,-65 ( to have the layout exactly to the upper left of the second monitor isboxer uses an offset of -65 to be zero ).

Toon B:
Bottom right: 2880,535 ( it seems that isboxer adds 1280 from the first monitor,although it is on the second monitor )
Location: 2080,-65 ( to have the layout exactly to the upper left of the scond monitor isboxer uses an offset of -65 to be zero ).

All coordinates are based on your "virtual desktop" which consists of all of your monitors. So when LOTRO or another game calls "GetCursorPos" and asks for a screen-space coordinate for your mouse cursor, Windows will give the same number to the game as you see ISBoxer giving for those locations.
From the Microsoft documentation for "GetSystemMetrics"
Code:
SM_XVIRTUALSCREEN
The coordinates for the left side of the virtual screen. The virtual screen is the bounding rectangle of all display monitors. The SM_CXVIRTUALSCREEN metric is the width of the virtual screen.

SM_YVIRTUALSCREEN
The coordinates for the top of the virtual screen. The virtual screen is the bounding rectangle of all display monitors. The SM_CYVIRTUALSCREEN metric is the height of the virtual screen.

If you want these numbers to be different, go into your Display settings in Windows and drag the monitors to different places, and the virtual desktop's coordinate system will be adjusted accordingly.
<<

kerby499

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Strange windowed resolution - need advice

Thanx for your help, your hint about virtual files made it !!
I have found and solved my problem.

The solution was pretty easy, I just emptied ( not deleted ) the virtual ini-files. After a fresh restart I was prompted to answer wether I want to enable DX11 support ingame and the ini-File was rebuild by lotro.

Now I am happy not to adjust windowed resulution every time !!

Ty very much !!

Return to Window Layouts