FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dual monitors, 5 regions, cross-monitor not working

Moderator: MiRai

<<

MysticViper

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Dual monitors, 5 regions, cross-monitor not working

IS Boxer 38

Created window layout with five regions. I used the wizard because I could not find the "Cross-monitor swapping" option anywhere else, only in the wizard. Is this a hidden option inaccessible anywhere but the wizard?

On display #1 is region 1. On display #2 are regions 2-5. Cross monitor swapping set to true.

Display #1___Display #2
--------------__--------------
|...........|__|.R4.|.R5.|
|....R1....|__|-----+-----|
|...........|__|.R2.|.R3.|
--------------__-------------

I launch, and all five game windows (EQ) launch and are placed into their respective slots.

Region 1 window is readable, regions 2-5 windows are blurred. (for Joe) I'm pretty sure this is what happens when the code does a MoveWindow but does not send a follow-up WM_SIZE message to the window. A WM-SIZE message sent to those windows will clear up the blur. I believe this is standard behavior though from what I've witnessed (the blurred windows).

To log in to each window, it appears I need to swap it to the main region (region 1), so I left click in the target window (say the one in region 2, which is on monitor 2), intending for it to swap to region 1 on monitor 1.

What happens is that ISBoxer thinks region 1 is now on monitor 2. and instead of displaying the game window I clicked in onto monitor 1, it expands and displays it on monitor 2, at which point the window is now covered by the windows in regions 3-5. Clicking windows in each other region 3-5 yields the same result, they expand and display on monitor 2 instead of monitor 1.

Also, I set up a hotkey for swapping "next window" and "previous window". When I am focused on main window in region 1, and I press "next window" hotkey, my region 1 window disappears completely, gets placed into region 2, and the former region2 window goes full screen on monitor 2, instead of monitor 1.

What do I need to do to ensure that window swapping swaps the target window onto monitor 1?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Re: Dual monitors, 5 regions, cross-monitor not working

The options in the wizard don't each correspond to a specific option in the Regions editor. All "Cross-monitor swapping" means is you use 1 swap group even though you have multiple monitors, you don't do anything special to enable it in the editor. In the editor, it's much harder to create per-monitor swapping, which requires you set up different swap groups for each one.

If you don't want them "blurred" as you describe the scaled down windows, the option you want to uncheck in your Window Layout is the one that says "Use Instant window swapping (synchronizes game resolutions)".

As far as thinking it's on monitor 1, probably not -- it always uses the absolute coordinates exported from ISBoxer. However, this sounds like a bug relating to the game's "maximize" setting (does EQ1 have that?). In EQ2 for example there's "cl_maximized" in eq2_recent.ini, and there was a bug where if that was on, it would break the window layout like this.

Something you can try to change the behavior if you can't find a maximized setting is switching the game to or from full screen mode. I mean permanently, not like switch real quick to see if that fixes it at the time. ISBoxer forces it into a window whether the game is set to full screen or not, but games are typically designed to operate a little bit differently between windowed mode and full screen mode, for example by messing less with the game window.

If you still need help, or if you want me to look at your Window Layout to verify anything (I don't think I do), see the "How to share your config" sticky post to safely show me your config
<<

MysticViper

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks Joe, I found an option in eqclient.ini that had Maximize=1. I changed it to 0 and things work as expected. Thanks also for the very quick response time!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Perfect, thank you for the follow up information. I can use that to test and fix the bug

Return to Window Layouts