FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Click heal setup for TOR possible?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

hephaestus

Post Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 am

Click heal setup for TOR possible?

We are now close enough to launch that I am seriously thinking about my setup, and I was wondering if anyone thought that a click box healing setup was gong to be doable for TOR? I created one for Rift based on the guides here and Zorba's no addons version for WoW, but the game allowed mouseover macros, so you could effectively create a click box healing effect. Given that there are zero macros in TOR, how effective do you think a click box setup could be there (it is desperately needed, as healing would be fun, if not for the horrid UI and minimal customization options or targeting options)? Could you use a focus based approach, or simply use the F1, F2, etc... keys to target your heals (is there anyone to tell ISboxer to hit F1 and then the 5 key or F2 and the 5 key in sequence with target last target without having to generate two/3 key strokes or mouseclicks, or would that be in violation of automation or game design concerns)?

Open to any ideas, as I would use ISBoxer for just playing solo healers if I could get a functioning click box setup for heals going, I don't want to do anything game breaking, just would like to heal they way I want to and make my multibox team manageable.
<<

Kris1234

Post Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:23 am

Re: Click heal setup for TOR possible?

How I was going to approatch it:

use VideoFX to show my healers party bars on my main.

create a click bar that forward clicks to corresponing spells. (or more VideoFX)

method. click toon needing healing then click the clickbar spell i want.

means 2 clicks to heal but should work well. im sure someone will come up with something better, and I do hope they do :D
<<

hephaestus

Post Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Khris,

Thanks, I was definitely planning on using Videofx considering Lax's testing suggestions. I think I might have a virtualization solution that could work with click bars, but I will need to actually test it live. If I can get a satisfactorily working version, I will post screen shots and as good of a how to as I can. I just started toying around with virtualization, so it may be a bit rough at first, but that seems like the only way to come up with a relative/contextual target. My goal would be to have two setups, one for small groups and one for PvP. As Lax noted, things get fairly complicated with large groups, but I won't be trying to multibox PvP groups for FTL type activity (I haven't found that it works well and typically feel like I am hurting my team, so unless I can change that I won't try it - not fair to everyone else; though perhaps with two ranged), just be able to clickbox heal my 7 teammates.

Hopefully the updates that Lax alluded to will make virtualization/targeting/healing situations better for non-macro intensive games like TOR and LOTRO, I am quite interested to see what he has in store for us. Unless it will make my efforts totally irrelevant, I will plug on with developing an interim solution. It looks like it is going to require quite a headache of a keymap, but we will see... If only TOR had developed a defensive/offensive targeting system, that would have made the lack of macros a bit more tolerable. I had an absolute blast playing on the beta weekends, and have subscribed with multiple accounts (three between myself and my wife for now), but I am fairly horrified at how bad the UI customization/targeting is in within the game when you consider how long/expensive development was... I know they wanted to get it out with a clean build/launch, but I seriously hope the UI gets some attention and incorporates macros or add ons in the not too distant future (even limited add ons would be fine, I don't need things automated, just some minor conveniences, like mouseover macros and some targeting options).
<<

ippaku

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Let me know how this goes guys/gals I'm new but would like to do the exact same thing.
<<

keth

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:56 am

Trying to do the same thing. I'm able to make click buttons that one-click heal myself, my pet, and my group (since all those have in-game targeting hotkeys). No use for raids though. What we'd need is probably simply a click-through function you can add to click bars? So, it would click select whatever is under the button, and also do the button function.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:17 pm

keth wrote:Trying to do the same thing. I'm able to make click buttons that one-click heal myself, my pet, and my group (since all those have in-game targeting hotkeys). No use for raids though. What we'd need is probably simply a click-through function you can add to click bars? So, it would click select whatever is under the button, and also do the button function.

I think you're in luck.

1. Sync Cursor Action - set its Target to whatever window(s) will be needing to click (note that the Sync wont include the "current" window)
2. Keystroke Action - set its Target as above, but including the current window if the current window should click, and set its Key Combination to Mouse1
3. Keystroke Action - set its Target the same again, whoever needs to press this button, and set its Key Combination to whatever button needs to be pressed to heal or buff or whatever

What I'm going to recommend is a 2-step Mapped Key for this, and set it to execute when "pressed OR released" (rather than just one or the other) so that when you press it, this guy should target (actions 1 and 2 above), and when you release it this guy should use the ability (action 3).
<<

keth

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:50 pm

lax wrote:
keth wrote:Trying to do the same thing. I'm able to make click buttons that one-click heal myself, my pet, and my group (since all those have in-game targeting hotkeys). No use for raids though. What we'd need is probably simply a click-through function you can add to click bars? So, it would click select whatever is under the button, and also do the button function.

I think you're in luck.

1. Sync Cursor Action - set its Target to whatever window(s) will be needing to click (note that the Sync wont include the "current" window)
2. Keystroke Action - set its Target as above, but including the current window if the current window should click, and set its Key Combination to Mouse1
3. Keystroke Action - set its Target the same again, whoever needs to press this button, and set its Key Combination to whatever button needs to be pressed to heal or buff or whatever

What I'm going to recommend is a 2-step Mapped Key for this, and set it to execute when "pressed OR released" (rather than just one or the other) so that when you press it, this guy should target (actions 1 and 2 above), and when you release it this guy should use the ability (action 3).

Perfect! I had done the 2-step but wasn't aware the mouse click action would pass through under the button. That makes everything possible now. Works great, only hitch is I have to not click too fast or there seems to be slight lag enough to not read the mouse release to execute the second step. Maybe that'll just be a mouse setting I can adjust. Thanks Lax.
<<

Kris1234

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:43 pm

lax wrote:

I think you're in luck.

This is a great solution with one major problem (for me at least). the sync seems to register after the mouse click maybe, coz when healing 4 guys, the sync visually looks to work right away but the yellow box on my slaves (when the target is selected) gets clicked 1 guys to late.

eg.

i select toons 1, 4, 2, 1, 3

what actually happens on my slaves 1, 1, 4, 2, 1

If i put sync in step 1 and mouse1 in step 2 they get selected fine. but then i need more steps for fire off the heals. this is not a TOR problem i dont think as I had it in the past with WOW
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:59 pm

The sync should be guaranteed to happen before the click as long as the Hold option is not enabled on the Mapped Key. You are right, the order and/or timing that the game processes things may not be optimal. That should definitely not happen in WoW without Hold though.
<<

Kris1234

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:13 pm

lax wrote:The sync should be guaranteed to happen before the click as long as the Hold option is not enabled on the Mapped Key. You are right, the order and/or timing that the game processes things may not be optimal. That should definitely not happen in WoW without Hold though.

maybe its mouse1 thats the problem.

step 1 sync, mouse1
step 2 heal
clicks box 1 guys to late

step 1 sync
step 2 mouse1, heal
selects correct box but heal is still 1 guy behind even tho correct box is selected

step1 stnc
step2 mouse1
step3 heal
step4 BLANK
works perfectly apart from needing a quick double tap of the mouse key

Return to Star Wars: The Old Republic