FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[City of Heroes]Registry Import/Export to Inner Space

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Lost Ninja

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 am

[City of Heroes]Registry Import/Export to Inner Space

City of Heroes saves most/all of it's window position/size and account detail in the registry, so I can't use virtual files easily to load each client up with the correct settings.

I can however save the registry file per client and send that to Inner Space in the pre-startup sequence config. However I don't know how to send the correct file/client. Can someone explain it for me?

I have my account name (the most important bit I use FancyZones (from MS) for windows positioning) set in the character settings in ISBoxer, it'd be nice if I could use a single file (registry) and just change the settinsg through ISBoxer (virtual file?) but I can't see how to do that.

I have 8 clients.
Each client has a file for that client reg1-8.reg (F:\Games\CoH\Binds\CoXg\)
The reg file includes the size of window, it's physical position on screen/monitor and account information.
When I launch client 1 it must use reg1.reg client 1 being on a different screen/size etc than client 2... etc
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:44 am

Re: [City of Heroes]Registry Import/Export to Inner Space

You could just use the virtual files to virtualise the registry.

Here is an example of that happening for WoW.

You will usually virtualise the hive, and not an individual key, so note the / at the end to indicate a "folder"
<<

Lost Ninja

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:02 am

I looked at that, but cannot see a way to apply many different keys to a single entry. The only examples I have found are for WoW and none seem to need to employ the same level of workround.

SOFTWARE\Cryptic\CoH\

The specific key I need to change is AccountName

So I virtualise that as SOFTWARE/Cryptic/CoH/AccountName/ (in ISBoxer) how do I tell it which value to enter. I looked at the wiki and that just confuses me more. I have entered the account name in the character config so I just want it to use that. Certainly doesn't seem to change the registry and my client appears with the original settings (last save client).
<<

bob

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:04 am

When the virtual file (or hives in this case) are assigned, and the game runs, it should be redirected to the "virtualize as" copy of the hive. Then upon logging in, the redirected hive gets written to to save any settings from that login.

So, the Virtual File is the item to be virtualized. The Per character settings for Virtualize As, are the redirected hive.

/e:
So, in my Config I have the following:
Worth pointing out that the matching is partial matched (and yes, you can use sectional replacement as per the wiki - I'm not being so fancy here) so the name and the virtualized as sections are only long enough that the matching does not get all confused about what item is being virtualized. I could use Battle.net/ as the virtual file, but this matches quite a few different things that get loaded from disk that we don't want virtualized, so we use enough of the registry hive path to make sure we are only picking up the registry entry.

While you can't fully see it because the box is small, each character has a Virtualize As item. These are
  • Toon1 - Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net-ISBoxer/Toon1/
  • Toon2 - Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net-ISBoxer/Toon2/
  • Toon3 - Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net-ISBoxer/Toon3/
  • Toon4 - Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net-ISBoxer/Toon4/
  • Toon5 - Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net-ISBoxer/Toon5/

An example of it in action.
The subhives and keys contained within are all generated by the game after being redirected.
<<

Lost Ninja

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:14 pm

Okay I see that.

How does ISBoxer/Inner Space know what to add into the alternate virtualised keys?

I want/need to virtualise:
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cryptic\CoH]
"accountName"="LostCoH4"
"fxSoundVolume"="0.000000"
"screenX"="1015"
"screenY"="729"
"screenX_pos"="3840"
"screenY_pos"="749"

I don't know how to give those keys to ISBoxer for it to send them to Inner Space. I suspect it would be far easier to just send those .reg files through to be loaded in to the registry via the pre-launch, but I cannot find out how to that either. I mean I know how to write to the registry automatically, but not automatically from within Inner Space/ISBoxer.

Ideally:
If launching account1 then regedit /s account1.reg end
launch game

And I have seen a reply somewhere (whilst looking for something else) that indicates adding a key to the registry like this is within the bounds of possibility, but I haven't been able to re-find that reply or find any other help.
<<

bob

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:42 pm

ISboxer/InnerSpace has no idea what keys are written to the redirected hive. That is up to the game to write that data.

The idea is you redirect a parent branch, so each character gets their own hive tree. The game then writes it's data for that character to that characters branch. Nothing fancy. The game says, I want to access HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cryptic\CoH and ISBoxer says, instead of using that hive, you can use HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cryptic\CoH-ISBoxer\Toon1, so the game does, and if what it expects to be there doesn't exist, it writes out the entries it requires in future, just like it normally would when you start it for the first time. If it does exist, it reads the values that are stored there.
<<

Lost Ninja

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:22 pm

Ah that makes more sense. Have a working work-around at the moment so I will poke it some more tomorrow. Will probably have more questions then. :/

Thanks.

Return to General