FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Video FX swapping random slots

Moderator: MiRai

<<

insanitywiz

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:12 am

Video FX swapping random slots

I'm having an issue in City of Heroes where Video FX is swapping random windows when I press a slot activate hotkey. I press my slot 2 activate hotkey, and slot 3 becomes active. Controls go to slot 2 normally, but the main window is displaying slot3. Which slot it swaps into the main window seems completely random. Including continuing to display the original slot.

I've recreated the VFX layout a couple times, and this only happens when I have the VFX windows on a separate display from the primary. Anyone have any ideas?

https://pastebin.com/EXDBwt8F
Last edited by insanitywiz on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:39 am

Re: Video FX swapping random slots

You may want to open up the Inner Space console (right-click tray icon > console > click on it to bring it to the front) and type sessions to see what is listed there. There shouldn't be anything listed with an is# other than your game clients and a dxNothing window.
<<

insanitywiz

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 am

Only have the four game sessions and the dxNothing session running. I wiped and reset my profile hoping it was just something borked in the XML, but unfortunately it didn't make a difference.

It looks like it swaps to the correct source for a moment, but then randomly swaps to one of the other three sources every time I hit a slot activate key.

New pastebin, in case something jumps out at anyone that I'm messing up.

And thanks for the response bwt.

https://pastebin.com/EXDBwt8F
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:06 am

Well, it's COH so anything is possible.

You might try turning off the global setting for the per slot switch hotkeys, and see if that makes it any better.

You may also need to be wary of the mouse position when switching, as the videofx layout will be running focus follows mouse, so it is possible it is refocusing during the switch.
<<

insanitywiz

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:45 pm

bob wrote:Well, it's COH so anything is possible.

You might try turning off the global setting for the per slot switch hotkeys, and see if that makes it any better.

Will give that a try, thanks.

bob wrote:You may also need to be wary of the mouse position when switching, as the videofx layout will be running focus follows mouse, so it is possible it is refocusing during the switch.

That would make sense if it didn't switch to any random instance, my mouse is pretty much 100% on the main instance which is on a separate monitor, so it shouldn't be getting the target from the mouse, unless it's doing even more funky gymnastics then I think it is.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:00 pm

insanitywiz wrote:
bob wrote:You may also need to be wary of the mouse position when switching, as the videofx layout will be running focus follows mouse, so it is possible it is refocusing during the switch.
That would make sense if it didn't switch to any random instance, my mouse is pretty much 100% on the main instance which is on a separate monitor, so it shouldn't be getting the target from the mouse, unless it's doing even more funky gymnastics then I think it is.

Well, it is. A videofx layout puts all your games on the one screen (your main) and in a stack on top of each other, and the mini viewers are displayed on a DXNothing. As you switch using the hotkey, it should be foregrounding another window by bringing it to the top of the stack (none of the windows should have an always on top setting in a videofx layout - in fact the built in setup turns this off). None of the stacked game windows should be being minimized, but for some reason it seems they might be.

Another thing that pops into mind is that you might get a little weirdness with the built in videofx Layout if you don't use a "Leave a Hole" style layout. There is a bug in the no holes setup.
<<

insanitywiz

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 am

bob wrote:
insanitywiz wrote:

Well, it is. A videofx layout puts all your games on the one screen (your main) and in a stack on top of each other, and the mini viewers are displayed on a DXNothing. As you switch using the hotkey, it should be foregrounding another window by bringing it to the top of the stack (none of the windows should have an always on top setting in a videofx layout - in fact the built in setup turns this off). None of the stacked game windows should be being minimized, but for some reason it seems they might be.

Another thing that pops into mind is that you might get a little weirdness with the built in videofx Layout if you don't use a "Leave a Hole" style layout. There is a bug in the no holes setup.

Yeah, further experimentation tonight made me think it is mouse related. I did have always on top on my layout, but disabling it didn't change anything. I've always used leave a hole on layouts, because otherwise my brain melts trying to find my alts. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep poking at things and see if I can come up with a solution.

Return to Video FX