FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

EVE Online Launcher - authentication token in invalid format

Moderator: MiRai

<<

sodabottle

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:22 am

EVE Online Launcher - authentication token in invalid format

CCP updated their EVE launcher today. I happened to have been launching some clients with ISBoxer Eve Online Launcher (v1.0.0.27) and the moment the new launcher loaded client authentications started failing with Login Failed: The authentication token provided by the launcher is of an invalid format. Please try again or contact EVE customer support.

https://www.eveonline.com/article/pm92c ... ges-coming
With this update to the launcher we have overhauled the authentication process, reducing possible points of failure for login - and refreshing your information - by dropping a service that for a long time was required to handle communication between the launcher application and EVE authentication service (SSO).

Thanks Lax!
<<

skyserver

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: EVE Online Launcher - authentication token in invalid format

Can confirm the login with the ISBoxer Eve Online Launcher is no longer working. :(
<<

tobe

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:52 pm

:?: i second that .. something is broken captain.... them groups CCP
<<

MultiBear

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:26 pm

I've tried setting things up so for the time being, I'd have to log in manually - but unfortunately after entering the login details for an account, the EVE client will display an error that logging in is only possible through the launcher now. I don't know if that's a recent change (as I've been using Lax's handy ISBoxer EVE Launcher for some time now).

I've also tried setting up ISBoxer to start the launcher, and log on accounts through that (similar to how WoW accounts can be launched each time through the Blizzard launcher) - but I wasn't able to get that working properly either.

As such, unless I'm missing something, I'm currently unable to use ISBoxer with EVE Online. Any help/fixes would be greatly appreciated. Am willing to sacrifice barn animals if needed.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Well, yes, it does sound like you're missing how to launch games requiring a launcher (and not just EVE, because we help people use Battle.net and others pretty much the same way as well)
It's here in the Quick Start Guide:
http://isboxer.com/wiki/ISBoxer_42:Quick_Start_Guide#For_a_game_requiring_a_launcher
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:07 pm

So our initial analysis indicates some changes were made to the login process that would take some time (multiple days at minimum) to duplicate and support in ISBoxer EVE Launcher. I'm not sure I have that kind of time to spend on ISBEL at the moment. (It's open source though, feel free to submit code!)

The solution for the time being is to use the CCP Launcher.
If Inner Space does not already have a Game Profile for EVE's launcher, add it using Add Game from the Inner Space menu. Drag the "EVE Launcher" icon from your desktop into the Add Game window, and it will fill in like this (your "Game executable" path will probably be different than mine)

You will need to adjust the Game Profile selected for your Characters in ISBoxer Toolkit, to use this new Game/Game Profile. Check this .gif if you need a quick reference: https://gfycat.com/PoliteQuaintHedgehog

I can make some adjustments to IS/ISBoxer to make better use of CCP's new/current launcher.
I am open to discussion on what you all think of the CCP Launcher and what IS/ISBoxer could do differently.

For example, the CCP Launcher still has no option to exit after launching an account, so anyone who didn't know to read and pay attention to a particular line in the Quick Start Guide asks questions about why their Window Layout doesn't work. Well the answer is that ISBoxer has to launch the launcher separately for each game window, to be know the proper Virtual Files and Window Layout settings to apply. The windows come up all in the same spot if you don't close the launcher, each thinking they are the first window.

Some people discovered that they can launch the team a second time the same way, with the team fully launched, for ISBoxer to refresh the settings in each window and apply the Window Layout. If Virtual Files are not important to you, this works fine as a workaround, right now.

Between the options I've ticked in the screenshot above, and ISBoxer Virtual Files, per-account auto-launch can be set up right now. It would be less secure than ISBEL (due to ISBEL having encrypted, password-locked storage), but it would be possible to streamline the launching process while using the official CCP launcher. I'll be looking into this.
<<

robohunterx

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Ah cool, I was hoping you guys were keen about ISBEL being down. I ended up opening a ticket on the github for an issue, but glad you guys are working on it! Personally I'd be happy to wait for an ISBEL work around, in the meantime I could use something like EVE-O Preview, not as good but for now meh it'll work.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Update: ISBoxer EVE Launcher version 1.0.0.28 is now available.
Site/instructions/source code: https://github.com/LavishSoftware/ISBoxerEVELauncher
Direct download: https://www.lavishsoft.com/downloads/mods/Lavish.ISBoxerEVELauncher.1.0.0.28.zip

Original instructions for using the CCP Launcher will remain below, enjoy :)
============================================================================================================================================================

ISBoxer is still working with EVE Online. You need to change to using the CCP Launcher, instead of ISBoxer EVE Launcher. The CCP Launcher works with ISBoxer.

The process for doing so ... again..
1. If Inner Space does not already have a Game Profile for EVE's launcher, add it using Add Game from the Inner Space menu. Drag the "EVE Launcher" icon from your desktop into the Add Game window, and it will fill in like this (your "Game executable" path will probably be different than mine)

2. After using Add Game, now you need to adjust the Game Profile for your Characters in ISBoxer Toolkit. Set it to use the Game/Game Profile you just added. If you need a visual aid to help you do this, again the URL is https://gfycat.com/PoliteQuaintHedgehog

3. Export to Inner Space and launch your team.

You will want to know what happens if you do not close the CCP Launcher, after each game window launches. Closing the game launcher is explained as part of the standard Quick Start Guide for how to deal with games that require launchers -- http://isboxer.com/wiki/ISBoxer_42:Quick_Start_Guide#For_a_game_requiring_a_launcher -- and we're not suggesting you do anything different than is explained in the Quick Start Guide. "How to use ISBoxer with EVE?" For real, the Quick Start Guide has not changed...

Anyway, if you choose to launch all of your game instances through the CCP launcher without closing it and allowing ISBoxer to launch the next window, you will lose your Window Layout. After your team is fully launched, just select it again to re-apply the Window Layout.

ISBEL was/is not required, it only streamlines the launching process...

If you have issues within EVE Online not having the settings you used previously (window positions in the game etc), go here
Code:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\CCP\EVE\c_eve_sharedcache_tq_tranquility

and copy everything from the settings folder into settings_Default

If you are UNABLE TO LOG INTO AN EVE ACCOUNT through the CCP LAUNCHER, see: https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002928779
That includes issues like this: Image

Return to EVE Online