FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problem with the group following while broadcasting is on

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Hella666

Post Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:50 am

Problem with the group following while broadcasting is on

I'm new here, I just try some simple things and I got a problem I don't know how to cope with.
I created a team of 4 toons on my main computer (PC2). There are other 2 group members on my other computer PC1, so far I don't try to control PC1 from PC2.
Let's look at the PC2. The group leader has macros that are not executable but what he says, I need them just to keep them in his quickbar on slots assigned to Ctrl+5, CTRL+6, CTRL+7, they are "Select Me", "Follow me", "Assist Me". The rest group members have the corresponding slots filled with macros "/select [leadername]", "/follow" and "/Skill Select Target's Target". 2 characters on On PC1 also have such macros. I turn Broadcasting ON on the leader on PC2 and 1st toon on PC1. The leader on PC2 clicks with the mouse on his quickbar CTRL+5 (Select me) and Ctrl+6 (Follow Me). The rest members on PC2 get the commands /select leader and /follow. The toon 1 on PC1 presses /select leader and /follow. So 3 toons on PC2 and 2 toons on PC1 begin to select the leader and follow him, they run towards him. But what happens later: as they stopped near the leader, their faces are turned to different random directions. When I rotate the camera on the leader, their cameras also rotate, but they show different directions. Then I try to go to some direction on the leader by holding Left and Right mouse buttons together. The rest toons on PC2, instead of following him, go to different directions to where their faces were turned in the beginning. They just copy the movement of the mouse, what is "forward" for them. Only if I turn Broadcasting OFF on the leader, they begin to follow him. The toons on the PC1 behave better because they're not moved by the mouse of PC1. It's rather uncomfortable to often turn Broadcasting on and off - off for following and on for selecting a mob, fighting and starting to follow again.

Is there a way to turn off the broadcasting of the mouse movement but use the broadcasting of the keys? How do experienced people perform following and assisting? I want a solution for a mouse and quickbars, not keyboard, because my hands are busy with 2 mice and I can rarely use keyboards.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:59 am

Re: Problem with the group following while broadcasting is on

Hella666 wrote:Only if I turn Broadcasting OFF on the leader, they begin to follow him. The toons on the PC1 behave better because they're not moved by the mouse of PC1. It's rather uncomfortable to often turn Broadcasting on and off - off for following and on for selecting a mob, fighting and starting to follow again.

This is how people multibox--using follow while broadcasting is disabled. Broadcasting should be disabled for the majority of your gameplay, and while there is no Aion-specific setup listed on the Wiki, every other MMO-specific Quick Setup entry does mention this.

First, Key Maps are intended to generally be on, and Repeater is intended to generally be off.

Key Maps are powered by various Hotkeys, which when activated do something that you specifically want, like /assist and cast a spell. The only time Key Maps need to be off is if you intend to use those Hotkeys for other things instead, like to type in your password, or chat in the game.

Repeater is a simple broadcast of exactly the buttons you push, and the way you move your mouse. The only time Repeater needs to be on is if you intend for every button you push and every movement of your mouse to be broadcast to the other windows, like to type in your password on all windows at once, or accept or complete a quest, and so on. It is possible to use Repeater more generally by assigning a white or black list, but this is not recommended –- a Key Map can instead be created with all of the keys and key combinations needed, using the Mapped Key Wizard (see "Quickly add many hotkeys, optionally with auto-assist" section below).

Hella666 wrote:Is there a way to turn off the broadcasting of the mouse movement but use the broadcasting of the keys? How do experienced people perform following and assisting? I want a solution for a mouse and quickbars, not keyboard, because my hands are busy with 2 mice and I can rarely use keyboards.

If you want to broadcast only the mouse, then you can create a copy of the existing Activate Repeat Mapped Key in your Always On Key Map, change its Hotkey to something unique, and modify its Actions listed in both steps to only include mouse broadcasting. However, based upon what I mentioned above, this really isn't the way to go about multiboxing.

When using software to multibox you shouldn't be concerned with multiple keyboards or mice, and most people run a software KM (e.g. Input Director, Synergy, Mouse w/o Borders) in order to control multiple PCs with a single mouse and keyboard. Clicking on quickbars and trying to move solely with the mouse in the 3D world of an MMORPG is probably the most inefficient way of multiboxing, and will most certainly cause more of a headache than using the standard method of following.
<<

Hella666

Post Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:57 pm

MiRai wrote:
When using software to multibox you shouldn't be concerned with multiple keyboards or mice, and most people run a software KM (e.g. Input Director, Synergy, Mouse w/o Borders) in order to control multiple PCs with a single mouse and keyboard. Clicking on quickbars and trying to move solely with the mouse in the 3D world of an MMORPG is probably the most inefficient way of multiboxing, and will most certainly cause more of a headache than using the standard method of following.

Sorry, what is "the standard method of following"? I've been playing for 3 years+ and my standard method in Aion has been clicking on another toon and chjoose "Follow" in the drop-down menu, or double-click on his name in group members.

I will yet try to read and understand all this stuff (so far I don't), what means Key Maps and how do they transmit commands from 1 window to another, I need an example of using them - where, to which bar, should I assign what, what to click or press on keyboard, what effect will it cause.

My mice are with 13 programmable buttons and I assigned to them many movement controls, so don't worry about my movement. I have space (jump/ glide), backward, forward, take off, rise/sprint, and even strafe left and strafe right.
Last edited by Hella666 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Watch this and be amazed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KNUg26fTU0

Sadly it requires specific team setup, which is a little different to what you suggested in an earlier thread.

Also, re: mapped keys... another watchsee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lzHM_SmFvk
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Hella666 wrote:Sorry, what is "the standard method of following"?

I was referring to the way that everyone else does it (e.g. not trying to move all the characters with the keyboard and mouse at the same time).

You can either use the standard method that Wizard sets up for you by default (using F-keys for targeting), or you can attempt to use the simplified method of follow and assist, which is more advanced.

Hella666 wrote:I will yet try to read and understand all this stuff (so far I don't), what means Key Maps and how do they transmit commands from 1 window to another, I need an example of using them - where, to which bar, should I assign what, what to click or press on keyboard, what effect will it cause.

Expand the Key Maps in the upper left pane of ISBoxer, and in the lower left click on a Mapped Key to see what it does--most are pretty straightforward.

Also, depending on the options you chose in the Wizard, you're broadcasting 1 through = on your number either via Mapped Keys, or the Standard Menu.
<<

Hella666

Post Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:40 pm

bob wrote:Also, re: mapped keys... another watchsee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lzHM_SmFvk

This is the best video, it must actually be first to watch to study ISBoxer. I understood the main principle of how Key maps work with Key Bindings in the game. My questions:
1) Do I necessarily need to press all these keys on keyboard/mouse, or can click on the slots in Quickbars in-game where these keys are bound?
2) While I was watching the video, I often stopped and replicated your actions in my ISBoxer on my other computer, I made a Key Map. I added many keys and key combinations I wanted to broadcast, but while in Key Map Wizard, I didn't find Numpad keys to assign. In-game I have an important bar assigned to Numpad keys, with healing skills, buffs, potions, scrolls, I like it for having single keys, I also have 2 of them on my mice. Then after finishing in the Wizard I found out it's possible to add more mapped keys after that in the lower left panel, however it takes a longer time to assign all settings there than in the Wizard. I tried to add Num1 and chose Key Map Actions in the drop-down menu, the Do Mapped Key Action, then the program didn't let me do it, writing that "This Do Mapped Key Action is configured to do this same Mapped Key!" I was disappointed thinking the software thinks Num1 is same as 1 and won't let me assign my bar. Then I needed to leave, then came back, watched more of the video, and found out that you choose KeyStroke Action of the drop-down menu on "Actions", then I tried Num1 and it worked. Thanks God it works, but why such complex way? Why not let me choose all Num keys while in the Wizard, or let me add all desired keys the same simply after I exited the Wizard, when their names coincide with their keybindings in the game and the target is same as everywhere?

bob wrote:Watch this and be amazed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KNUg26fTU0
Sadly it requires specific team setup, which is a little different to what you suggested in an earlier thread.

I still don't understand this, I also watched Mirai's video, I wonder why do I need all these different Modifier+F11 things for each character and macros to select all group members if I want all my group follow and assist just the 1st (main) toon. And how do those key bindings with modifiers+F11 or F12 actually work, do you press on all these complex combinations actually on keyboard to make them start following? I also see in some places that Alt=F is "Follow Me" and Alt+A=Assist Me, what is this and how does it work?
Also, in Aion I wouldn't like to assign F12 for anything cause it is by default assigned to switching GUI off and on and I deeply got used to it.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Hella666 wrote:1) Do I necessarily need to press all these keys on keyboard/mouse, or can click on the slots in Quickbars in-game where these keys are bound?

If you'd rather click buttons, then you're going to need to set up additional Menus (or Click Bars, your choice).

Here's a video of Lax showing how to create additional Menus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX6gsNLMsVI

Hella666 wrote:Then after finishing in the Wizard I found out it's possible to add more mapped keys after that in the lower left panel, however it takes a longer time to assign all settings there than in the Wizard. I tried to add Num1 and chose Key Map Actions in the drop-down menu, the Do Mapped Key Action, then the program didn't let me do it, writing that "This Do Mapped Key Action is configured to do this same Mapped Key!" I was disappointed thinking the software thinks Num1 is same as 1 and won't let me assign my bar.

I think you're misinterpreting this error message, and it sounds like you were trying to create an infinite loop by adding the same Mapped Key you were editing to the Do Mapped Key Action.

Hella666 wrote:Then I needed to leave, then came back, watched more of the video, and found out that you choose KeyStroke Action of the drop-down menu on "Actions", then I tried Num1 and it worked. Thanks God it works, but why such complex way? Why not let me choose all Num keys while in the Wizard, or let me add all desired keys the same simply after I exited the Wizard, when their names coincide with their keybindings in the game and the target is same as everywhere?

I am not sure what trouble you were experiencing, as there shouldn't be any issues with adding any standard keys from the keyboard while in the Wizard.

Hella666 wrote:I still don't understand this, I also watched Mirai's video, I wonder why do I need all these different Modifier+F11 things for each character and macros to select all group members if I want all my group follow and assist just the 1st (main) toon.

If that's all you want to ever do, then you certainly don't need the system. However, what happens if you want to switch screens and lead from another character? What happens when your main character dies but you want to keep moving forward in the event of an emergency?

It all comes down to how flexible you want your setup to be. If you want it to be basic, that's fine, and if you want it more advanced, then that's fine too.

Hella666 wrote:And how do those key bindings with modifiers+F11 or F12 actually work, do you press on all these complex combinations actually on keyboard to make them start following? I also see in some places that Alt=F is "Follow Me" and Alt+A=Assist Me, what is this and how does it work?

There's no simple way to explain this, but upon exporting from ISBoxer, each of those key combinations is re-mapped/assigned on every character to the Mapped Key which handles follow, so that everything works exactly as it should. If you had to set the system up long hand, then it'd take much, much longer than it currently does, and you'd have a lot more Mapped Keys than the current system uses.

Hella666 wrote:Also, in Aion I wouldn't like to assign F12 for anything cause it is by default assigned to switching GUI off and on and I deeply got used to it.

I mention that in the video, and someone else mentioned what they're used for in the comments below the video.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Hella666 wrote:And how do those key bindings with modifiers+F11 or F12 actually work, do you press on all these complex combinations actually on keyboard to make them start following? I also see in some places that Alt=F is "Follow Me" and Alt+A=Assist Me, what is this and how does it work?

Figured I'd have a quick go at this one too.

First, in ISBoxer, on a mapped key, there is a Hotkey setting. This is a key, or combination of keys, that you press in order to trigger a mapped key. It's like in Windows, ALT+F4 is a well known hotkey. So is F1.
Then there are actions. Actions are what happens when you press the hotkey. In the Windows example of ALT+F4, the current window will close; F1, usually, will show a help Window (this one is not global though). In ISBoxer, the configured actions for a mapped key might be to send a keystroke to the game, which might be a completely different keystroke to what the Hotkey is. They might also do a few other things (if you have selected the option for it), like, look up the active character slot to see what modifiers are associated with the slot, combine those modifiers with the keystroke about to be sent to all the other slaves, and then send that combined value to trigger a specific macro you have configured in game (this is FTL in a nutshell, and what is shown in MiRai's Aion video). There are other actions which don't send anything to the game, but change your ISBoxer configuration around on the fly. A good example of this is the overlay for Broadcasting and Key Maps. You click on one of those, and one of the actions that runs changes the displayed icon to provide you a visual cue as to whether you have the feature turned on or off.

So, end result, Hotkeys are things you press to trigger a mapped key in ISBoxer, and actions are the result of that hotkey, which may send a keystroke or two to the game.

So, with the ALT+F = Follow, this is the hotkey that you should press to trigger the Follow Me mapped key. The Actions in the Follow Me mapped key, should send a keystroke, or a combination of keystrokes, to the game that trigger your slaves to follow your active/main character. It does depend on your configuration as to how this will actually happen, i.e. if you've used per-slot-targeting - the default, or the FTL setup as shown in MiRai's video.

We haven't yet touched on Targets, but they are simply the slots in the character set that will receive the actions in your mapped keys. Each action can be set with a target, which allows you to send things to the current window only, all windows, all windows except the current, and a few other default choices too. You can also get advanced with your targets.

There is also a video on Mapped Keys which covers a fair bit of detail on.... you guessed it, mapped keys, although I think I've linked it previously.

Return to Aion