FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hotkey to invite and follow (create group)

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Metaphore

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Hotkey to invite and follow (create group)

Is it possible to make a hotkey for any of the slots to invite the others and for the others to accept?
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Hotkey to invite and follow (create group)

There's a variety of methods to implement this. I am working on a comprehensive setup Guide for EQ which will cover various aspects of this in detail. With that said, the flexibility of this may not be readily apparent. See Notes at the end of the post.

STEP #1: SEND INVITE OPTION #1
For shorter character names one can send sequential "New Keystroke Actions" from the intended Group Leader (Box 1) to the Group Member (Box 3) as illustrated below:

Image #01

There is a bug/feature/limitation between ISBoxer and EQ which limits this method to a 15 character output including the "/", spaces, and "Enter." One can see I have consolidated assigning the character to it's appropriate ATGs within the same step.

STEP #1: SEND INVITE OPTION #2
For longer character names exceeding a 15 character string send a keystroke to activate an in-game /social:

Page4Button3Name=Invite
Page4Button3Color=0
page4Button3Line1=/invite Character 1
page4Button3Line2=/invite Character 2
Page4Button3Line3=/invite Character 3
Page4Button3Line4=/invite Character 4
Page4Button3Line5=/invite Character 5

So, now what? The character invites are hanging out there in cyberspace. For best practice, one will want to form their group in the same order each and every time. This requires a sequential multi-step "Invite Character #1, Accept Invite, Invite Character #2, Accept Invite, etc" process.

STEP #2: ACCEPT INVITE

Image #02
Image #02 sends an invite to Character #2 and loads Character #2's appropriate Keymaps as detailed in Image #01. There is ONE outstanding group invite.

Image #03
Image #03 sends an invite to Character #3 and loads Character #3's appropriate Keymaps. There are now TWO outstanding group invites.

Image #04
Image #04 sends an invite to Character #4 and ACCEPTS the invite on Character #2. There are now two people in the group (excluding Mercenaries): the Group Leader and the first character invited. There are TWO outstanding group invites.

Image #05
Image #05 sends an invite to Character #5 and ACCEPTS the invite on Character #3. There are now three people in the group (excluding Mercenaries): the Group Leader, Character #2, and Character #3. There are TWO outstanding group invites.

Image #06
Image #06 ACCEPTS the invite on Character #4. There are now four people in the group (excluding Mercenaries): the Group Leader, Character #2, Character #3, Character #4. There is ONE outstanding group invite.

Image #07
Image #07 ACCEPTS the invite on Character #5. There are now five people in the group (excluding Mercenaries): the Group Leader and four Boxes. There are ZERO outstanding group invites. The group is fully formed.

One could stop at this point. The following information exceeds the scope of the original question.

Image #08
Image #08 changes pages on the hotbar for all characters in the current group. This is unique to my hotbar setup. If the following buttons were on page #1 of a hotbar, there would be no reason to change pages.

Image #09
Image #09 sets the Main Assist, Main Tank, Puller and assigns those character roles to extended target slots. For further information, see post #3 in this thread on the SOE boards.

Image #10
Image #10 activates an in-game /social:

/hidecorpse looted
/part off

Image #11
Image #11 loads various Keymaps assigned to the particular Group formation (not necessarily Character Set as detailed in the Notes below), assigns a designated Box to a Tank Mercenary ATG used in conjunction with a repeater region to control the Mercenary from the Main Character, changes the hotbar back to Page 1 on all the characters, and sends a Popup Text Message indicating this complex garbage is done and you're ready to play.

NOTES:
* In conjunction with the "Hold: Execute a step when the Hotkey is pressed or relased," one can complete two Invite steps per key press. The above 10 step Keymap only requires 5 keypress to complete.

* If one uses an in-game social as detailed in Step #1: Option #2, all of the invites can be sent at once, with the characters accepting invites individually. My preference is to keep everything possible in the ISBoxer profile, hence my personal preference of using Key presses to emulate text strings over in-game socials. It makes troubleshooting much easier when one knows where to look as opposed to having to search through multiple character .ini's as well as the ISBoxer profile.

* Despite EQ supporting copy and paste from the Windows clipboard, "New Keystring Action" does not work in EQ. I have tested multiple varitions of sending the "/", <text string>, and "Enter" to EQ and none work. If this gets fixed in ISBoxer, one could streamline their ISBoxer profile considerably using "/invite character" as opposed to the method detailed above.

* For new ISBoxer users who may not recognize their use, "<Group: Invite (Accept Invite)>", "<Group: Group Roles>", and "<Hidecorpse: Looted>" are Variable Keystrokes I have assigned in the ISBoxer profile. Regarding sending invites and accepting invites from any particular character, I have assigned a Variable Keystroke <Group: Invite (Accept Invite)> to the EQ Default CTRL-I. Using Virtual Mapped Keys on a character level basis determines whether the character initiating the Keymap is sending an invite to others or accepting it to join the group. It's the same CTRL-I regardless.

* The majority of my Keymaps are assigned during the Group Invite process in order to simulate the launching of a different character set inside a main ISBoxer profile without having to actually launch a new character set. This allows one the ability to invite, disband, and re-invite a different group formation without interrupting game play. This is somewhat unique to EQ due to the game's out of combat timers, the rez timer for mercs, and various other game mechanics. For example, I can disband a current formation, re-invite a new formation of full mana healers and boxes with available discs, then gate the disbanded boxes back to the Guild Lobby to wait out a med timer, rez timer or merc timer.
# While not covered in this post, the "Unload Character" Keymap shown in Image #01 essentially does the exact opposite of the "Load Character" Keymap. It disbands ONLY that particular character and for all practical purposes, completely disables that character by removing it from all assigned ATG's and Keymaps. This allows me to drag a Box around on auto-follow without having to log the Box out and also without the Box getting aggro due to it's responding to unintended instructions.

EDIT: Repaired image links.
Last edited by firescue17 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Metaphore

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Thank you for that.

I'm afraid I am WAY below the level of knowledge of ISBoxer to even start getting my wits around flexible setups. All I've done with ISBoxer so far is variable keystroke Follow and am extremely proud of getting it to work. I would just like to know how to send 3 invites and get the others in the group to respond with a Ctrl-I. I'm sure this is in there somewhere, but it feels sort of like reading about various reflux distillation methods before you've learned how to make moonshine with a plain old pot still.

I'm afraid I would need to know how to make all that stuff you show on your screenshots, but that's way more than I can handle.I did follow the part about a keystroke to start an invite macro. I can map that macro to the same key for every char. I just need to know how to get the others to respond with a Ctrl-I to the invitation.
<<

firescue17

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Metaphore wrote:I did follow the part about a keystroke to start an invite macro. I can map that macro to the same key for every char. I just need to know how to get the others to respond with a Ctrl-I to the invitation.

OK, I am understanding you have sent the three invites. They are outstanding, and need to be accepted by the Boxes.

This would put you roughly at Image #06. You have two options at this point. You can either:

OPTION A
Send a direct Keystroke CTRL-I to whichever Box you want to accept first: New Step > Actions > Keystroke Actions > New Keystroke Actions. Set the Target to whichever character is to join first. Set the Key Combination as CTRL-I. The entry will look like CTRL-I > Target. Rinse and repeat for the other characters to accept.

OPTION B
My recommendation as illustrated would be to create a Variable Keystroke to send the CTRL-I. It's not imperative, Example A above will do the same thing; however, as you begin to understand more about ISB, you will appreciate the versatility in the future. Consider, regardless of what account, character or computer you are playing on, CTRL-I will be always invite / accept invite.

Scroll down to the end of your Keymaps section and click on "Variable Keystrokes." Right click the bottom, left-hand pane and select "New Variable Keystroke." Name it "Invite" or whatever, and set a Default Key Combination as CTRL-I. Now ISBoxer knows the syntax "Invite" = CTRL-I. When you tell ISBoxer to "Invite" somebody, it will know that is CTRL-I.

Go back up to the Mapped Key you used to send the invites: New Step > Actions > New Variable Keystroke Action > Set the Target to whichever character is to join first. Set the Variable Keystroke as "Invite" or whatever you named it. The entry will look like <Invite> > Target. Since ISBoxer already knows that <Invite> = CTRL-I, it sends that keystroke. Rinse and repeat for the other characters to accept.

What's the benefit? Say at some point in the future you want to change "Invite" to ALT-I instead of CTRL-I. Using my setup as an example, I have a 5 box on one server, a 4 box on another server with two variable alternate characters for 11 toons total and 28 (if my math is correct) possible group formations. I can either attempt to track down every instance of every character set on every character I do an "Invite" and change it manually.

Or I can change the Variable Keystroke "Invite" once and be done with the whole mess.

If all else fails, stick with Option A.
<<

wartooth

Post Sun May 26, 2013 8:43 pm

This is awesome. Thanks for the post. I just recently returned to EQ and was pondering this very scenario. The mercenaries and getting the invite order down pat were eluding me. This is great food for thought!
<<

Jegehrke

Post Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi,
Beginning boxer question, where is image #1 taken from? What steps in ISboxer did you take to get there? Thanks
<<

Finitematter

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 am

Jegehrke wrote:Hi,
Beginning boxer question, where is image #1 taken from? What steps in ISboxer did you take to get there? Thanks

I see, the text at the end is needed to be read and understood before any of the images make sense (at least to me). I did get new text strings to work in EQ, I had to:

1. New Key text sgrin and put: /invite name
2. keystorke: ENTER
3. Keystroke: CTRL+V
4. Keystroke: ENTER

Ironically I can get the invites to go out real easy, but no matter what I do (over 6 horus so far trying to figure this out, starting to get quite annoyed) I cannot get the other boxes to accept the invites when I am on my main toon. Really hoping someone is still watching this thread / forums and can see this so I can get some help trying to figure this out. I got chstised out of the chat channel for asking simple questions so dont go there for help, you wont get any.
<<

firescue17

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Finitematter wrote:
Jegehrke wrote:Hi,

I see, the text at the end is needed to be read and understood before any of the images make sense (at least to me). I did get new text strings to work in EQ, I had to:

1. New Key text sgrin and put: /invite name
2. keystorke: ENTER
3. Keystroke: CTRL+V
4. Keystroke: ENTER

Ironically I can get the invites to go out real easy, but no matter what I do (over 6 horus so far trying to figure this out, starting to get quite annoyed) I cannot get the other boxes to accept the invites when I am on my main toon. Really hoping someone is still watching this thread / forums and can see this so I can get some help trying to figure this out. I got chstised out of the chat channel for asking simple questions so dont go there for help, you wont get any.

See Step 03 here.

Return to EverQuest