FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Characters not sync'd - Picture inside:

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Jaeron

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Characters not sync'd - Picture inside:

The problem I have is that the characters won't sync up for some reason. On one screen, they show they're perfectly on top of each other. On the other screen, it shows them about a persons length apart. The problem is obviously throwing off where I'm clicking. So if I click to attack something, because the screen is different on each screen, they're both doing something different.

Any idea what can cause this? I've included a picture of what this looks like for reference. (This screen shot is not altered in any way, it's literally a screenshot of my dual screens.)

It's also important to note that I'm running identical graphic settings on each, and they both show 30 FPS. The system I'm running can easily handle it, I'm running two accounts on an i7-2800k with 16 gigs of ram, 128 Gb 6gb/s SSD, and a GTX 560 Ti.

Here is the log of my settings:
http://www.privatepaste.com/391c3cc555

I purchased a temporary license, hoping this will be resolved. If it's not something that can be resolved, I will not renew my subscription. I made the purchase since my 7 day trial period ended without a solution. (I actually was hoping I could iron out any problems before I purchased the software to make sure it would work properly, but I didn't receive a response on the original thread I posted in)

Any help would be appreciated.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: Characters not sync'd - Picture inside:

<<

Jaeron

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm

If your characters show up in slightly different positions in two Diablo 3 windows (e.g. on top of each other in one, but slightly apart in another), then this is absolutely describing the behavior of the game and not of ISBoxer or anything else besides Diablo 3. Clearly, one game window has a different position for one or more other characters than the character is really at, and ISBoxer doesn't know what those positions are, let alone affect them.

If I am understanding your issue correctly, it doesn't sound like ISBoxer is doing anything wrong. A new thread isn't going to change anything, someone will suggest that you run your characters into the nearest wall/corner or point you to something like this:
Diablo 3 Quick Start Guide: How do I keep my characters in sync?

So when I watch videos of others running the ISBoxer software, sure, they have to sync their chars up here and there. And while I understand the idea of walking into a wall, I've found it's easier to set a key to keep the second character still while you walk back over the person. This isn't a matter of them simply falling out of sync, this I would understand. This is an issue where they're NEVER on top of each other, even if I sync them up. I can stand them on top of each other on one screen, and then click on the other screen which does not broadcast, and stand them on top of each other. The second I attempt to take one step, the second screen takes a split second to begin walking, and they're desync'd. It seems there is some sort of delay happening when I attempt to move the characters at the same time, and this would not be due to positioning within Diablo 3. There is also a slight delay in the time it takes for a second inventory window to open, or choosing a location on the waypoint. The distance between them is actually getting worse, playing tonight there is at least a 4 person gap between them on the second screen only, on the primary screen they show perfectly together. Interestingly, if I swap the characters, the weaker character can control the stronger character much more effectively. This however, isn't something I want to do because when they do become unsync'd, I can't have the weaker character staying in while the stronger character begins to lose sync, and the ability to hit what I need dead.

If this doesn't help with a possible solution, that's fine. But I disagree that this is the standard way Diablo 3 works, since when watching videos from other people doing the same, this isn't a problem.
<<

Jaeron

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Is it possible the second instance is receiving the input slightly slower than the primary? Perhaps something ISBoxer could be sending the data to their servers at a different speed? And is there any control over this?

I will attempt to play with the settings myself, as I feel this isn't the issue you believe it is.
<<

Jaeron

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuupDCLW210

Here's a video of the problem in action. If you still feel this is an issue with Diablo 3, I'll drop it.

As you can see, the first time I walk back and forth there's a very small hesitation, and the character stops walking at some point for no reason. The second time, there's nearly a second before the second character starts to walk. Wouldn't this be an input issue?

Thank you for your time.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Freeze the frame at 12 seconds in.

Your main window shows that it thinks your other guy hesitated, but look at the second window.

The guy is right with your main the entire time, from his point of view -- this is the game rendering its two independent views, which are different because of client-server/latency issues. But each guy on his own, in his own view of the world, is appearing at the correct location in this case. It just looks different when you see your other guy from the main window, for example because of your ping.
<<

Jaeron

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, right... The primary account doesn't understand the other character stopped, so they become desync'd. That part I understand. But what caused the second character to stop in the first place? Why is there a difference between the two inputs? The characters desync due to the game having different inputs, and the server assumes if someone is walking in a direction, they're going to continue walking in that direction. It's all done with assumptions on the servers end.

If I were playing JUST the second account, the character wouldn't stop walking, because I didn't change the input. I wasn't spam clicking, that was a single click and hold to walk in one solid direction. The second character isn't receiving that input, and that's what I believe is the fault of ISBoxer.

Wouldn't that be an issue with the second account not receiving input? Wouldn't that input be an issue with ISBoxer not sending the command through that I'm walking with a key held in?

Through testing of my own, I'm realizing that if I spam click, it stays in sync. If I hold it, it loses sync. Could this be that ISBoxer doesn't send a held key properly?

(Confirmed btw, if I'm constantly clicking, it stays together perfectly. If I hold in the left mouse and leave the cursor still, it's unable to walk correctly)

So now I'm convinced this has to do with input, and not the game itself.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, right... The primary account doesn't understand the other character stopped, so they become desync'd. That part I understand. But what caused the second character to stop in the first place? Why is there a difference between the two inputs?

I'm saying the opposite at this point. The primary account thinks the other character stopped, that is why it shows them desync'd. The second character did not stop at 0:12, his game window very clearly shows that he continued with the main. It only appears different (wrong) on the main. I don't know why it appears wrong on the main.
<<

Jaeron

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm

My head hurts. :P I guess it is what it is.
<<

Mahther

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:20 pm

I don't know if this will help but this is how I understand it. When an action is taken on one account you see an immediate response, but when viewing that action from another account it appears delayed because all of that information is being sent from that account to Blizzard's servers and then back to the other account. In reality, because you are sending that information simultaneously it is happening at the same time on their servers, it just appears to be delayed because of the data travel time. I'm no IT wizard, but I assume that if you experience high latency or packet loss it could cause some of the data to send and arrive at different times which could result in stuttering and desynching. This all happens when playing with people in public games too, you just don't get to see it in action.

When I multiboxed in World of Warcraft I saw the same thing in a different way. On the master screen it would appear as if all of the slaves were on autofollow in a perfect group behind it while traveling. ([M] [SSS]) When viewing a slave screen, that specific character would always appear between the master that it is following and the group that is on autofollow. ([M] [S] [SS]) Nothing was really desynched, they all performed actions when they were supposed to and they all stopped in the same place, it was just the latency that made it appear that way.

One thing that I wished I saw in your video was if both characters would stop on top of each other without having to run into the wall, because that would show whether they are really desynching or simply the latency.

Also, make sure they both have the same runspeed. Simple, I know, but the mistake has been made before.

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected