FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question about fps limit.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: Question about fps limit.

Sounds weird. I've not experienced that kind of issue on my i7 3770 (not o/c'd either).

But I've seen weird stuff like it when Antivirus gets involved. Excluding the affected processes from active scanning tends to resolve that. In this case Innerspace.exe and lotroclientlauncher.exe and lotroclient.exe. Of course it may not be AV, but usually it will be something hooking your game process or injecting a filter driver somewhere (these are things that get into the core of Windows) that is causing the slowdown.

For good measure, I've also routed
127.0.0.1 crash.lotro.com
127.0.0.1 vm-lotrocrash.wt.ddo.turbine.com

in my hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc), as the lotroclientlauncher is busily uploading stuff there, that I don't feel inclined to feed to them. Note that this does mean that exiting the game can take a while to close out correctly as it times out the crash uploader.
<<

hawkin90

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:33 pm

I use superantispyware, but the real time protection is deactivated, as I mainly use it to scan my discs. I don't know if the program can still block or do anything while in passive mode.

Interesting about the hosts file there too.

I also run a program called "memory cleaner" which trims my ram every 5th minute and clears cache now and then. I don't think that should affect anything?

Other than that, I guess it could always be a BIOS issue.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:52 pm

hawkin90 wrote:I have encountered another issue though. Sometimes when I mount up (mount key is x, always on) The whole game starts stuttering every 2 seconds in an infinite loop, fps dropping to 10, even on main. Only solution is to quit every toon and reload. I've checked my cpu/gpu usage and it stays at normal values. I've also noticed even the inner space menu starts stuttering and freezes for 2 seconds at a time. This does not seem to happen with my other "always on" keymaps. Any idea what this might be?

Is there an "animation" of some sort that happens when a character mounts? Does this problem happen if you mount up one character at a time?
<<

bob

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:54 pm

I'd get rid of the "memory cleaner". That's just a B/S program and a more than likely culprit.
If you want to know how the VMM in Windows works, read the Windows Internals books. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysi ... 63901.aspx

If you want to "clean" your memory and have it free and available (which is pointless - you did pay for it to use it didn't you), don't run so many programs at the same time. You can take it further if you want ands pull out the ram chips altogether and just have 1GB of ram. That should allow you to have many GB free and get Windows to page to disk a lot.

There is no such thing as RAM cleaning and freeing (except when you exit a program), and it generally causes your computer to perform worse. These programs don't "clean" your memory at all, but rather inflate themselves by performing valloc's and causing the Windows VMM to force the other active programs to page out to disk, which then means that when those other programs need to access some data that had been loaded, they then need to load from the paging file (disk) again, and if one of those happens to be your game, or part of the Windows kernel, then you're in for some long waits.
<<

hawkin90

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:34 pm

MiRai wrote:Is there an "animation" of some sort that happens when a character mounts? Does this problem happen if you mount up one character at a time?

Not that I've noticed no. I'm not sure if it's just related to mounting anymore, as I've gotten it randomly a couple of times today.

bob wrote:I'd get rid of the "memory cleaner". That's just a B/S program and a more than likely culprit.
If you want to know how the VMM in Windows works, read the Windows Internals books. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysi ... 63901.aspx

If you want to "clean" your memory and have it free and available (which is pointless - you did pay for it to use it didn't you), don't run so many programs at the same time. You can take it further if you want ands pull out the ram chips altogether and just have 1GB of ram. That should allow you to have many GB free and get Windows to page to disk a lot.

There is no such thing as RAM cleaning and freeing (except when you exit a program), and it generally causes your computer to perform worse. These programs don't "clean" your memory at all, but rather inflate themselves by performing valloc's and causing the Windows VMM to force the other active programs to page out to disk, which then means that when those other programs need to access some data that had been loaded, they then need to load from the paging file (disk) again, and if one of those happens to be your game, or part of the Windows kernel, then you're in for some long waits.

And with that, I've uninstalled the program lol. It might be that program who was the culprit. Will report back when I figure it out.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:46 pm

hawkin90 wrote:
MiRai wrote:Is there an "animation" of some sort that happens when a character mounts? Does this problem happen if you mount up one character at a time?

Not that I've noticed no. I'm not sure if it's just related to mounting anymore, as I've gotten it randomly a couple of times today.

The point that I was trying to eventually get at was that if you're pushing your setup hard enough that when something happens on screen, on all of your characters at the same time, it can likely bring your FPS to a crawl that it won't recover from until you log characters out or exit game clients in order to clear whatever is in the rendering pipeline that is "stuck."

That may not be your issue, but I've experienced this issue when I'm playing at a super high resolution with five characters.
<<

hawkin90

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm

MiRai wrote:
hawkin90 wrote:

The point that I was trying to eventually get at was that if you're pushing your setup hard enough that when something happens on screen, on all of your characters at the same time, it can likely bring your FPS to a crawl that it won't recover from until you log characters out or exit game clients in order to clear whatever is in the rendering pipeline that is "stuck."

That may not be your issue, but I've experienced this issue when I'm playing at a super high resolution with five characters.

You might be right. I lowered some settings such as object/model details and other stuff. Played 3 hours without it happening.

2560x1600 on 6 clients is quiet the heavy load it seems.
<<

bob

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:15 pm

It all depends on your hardware capabilities.

I'm getting fairly low frame rates in some areas with more mobs and such, but I've not tried the newer areas (which tend to have better detailed models), nor a highly populated one (killing trolls in Harloeg swamp is where I've been playing lately), so I can't imagine I'll keep high settings on all clients for long. I don't tend to switch much anyway.

I've disabled AA. Post Processing seems to be the next FPS killer on the list, then lowering the other settings until the graphics subsystem stops using system ram.

p.s. I still recommend you stay away from dodgy Memory/RAM cleaners. They're all fake. The best one out there (for Windows) is the power button, followed by the Windows Virtual Memory Manager (VMM - and no, this is not the paging file system), so no need for any extras. If I could remember where I found the write up (which I'm sure was from a MSFT Tech Fellow like Russinovich) on how they work I'd link it. If you are really interested there is one on the VMware site as ESX uses a similar mechanism to manipulate virtual machines on an oversubscribed ESX host, but I can't recall as to whether it refers to how "ram cleaners" work.
Previous

Return to Lord of the Rings Online