FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Main Tank: Guardian or Champion?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

r06ue1

Post Thu May 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Main Tank: Guardian or Champion?

Just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this and which makes the better main tank for a six box (main tank, hunter, captain, rune-keeper, lore-master, minstrel set up) and hoping to do instances boxing this group. I'm sure the champion is nice with its AE ability but can it tank a boss in a dungeon like Carn Dum?
<<

rhui

Post Mon May 27, 2013 8:46 am

Re: Main Tank: Guardian or Champion?

For a group instance you need a real main tank, a guardian or a warden. The main role for a champion is more AoE Damage Dealer...

Im playing 2 mixed Teams:

1) Guardian, champion, captain, minstrel, burglar, lore-master (CC-dominated)
2) Guardian, hunter, captain, minstrel, rune-keeper, rune-keeper (Trash mobs dominated)

I designed them to be able to play raid12 instances with a nearly "perfect" character selection.
<<

r06ue1

Post Tue May 28, 2013 1:41 pm

You can do raids? I would love to see that! Do you have any videos uploaded to YouTube?
<<

rhui

Post Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 am

I will try to make a LOTRO Raid spoiler video this weekend and will explain the config and setup here on forum...

I didnt see that in the past for LOTRO here and think it could be instersting for one or the other...
<<

AmazingBender

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am

ohh nice :) 12-boxed group! I look forward to see a demo of that! I currently only box 6 at a time, have tried 12, but all I seem to do it only 1 of the groups manages to do anything reasonable... So a bit more info about how you do it would be great.

for 6-man instances my setup atm is Champion, Hunter, Runekeeper, Captain, Loremaster, Healer - after I tank-traited my champ my team seems to be able to succeed and survive a lot better, but only issue is when there is more than one boss to tank... aggro management can be tricky and I often fail in this matter, but after reading up on the click-heal, click-conjunctions I deffo can see that my group is not setup properly, so will have to investigate further into this subject.
<<

Wanderlust

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:29 am

Well, I don't know if there is a "proper" or "improper" set up, what ever works, works - or not, though clicky heals and cjs do (imo) help a lot in challenging instances - especially when the boss has lots of adds and hit points.

As far as the tank goes, I personally use a guard set up sword and board w/a max threat build - although I have had some success with OP guards tanking. Tanking with a warden always took too much of my concentration on the ward to hit the threat building gambits, but I never liked wardens much even in solo, so maybe it was just me.

I have a 3 man team where I tank (and heal) with a cappy with 2 ranged DPS hunters and it works pretty well on all landscape quests and 3 man instances and I have done many of the 6 mans instances (over level). I used to run it with 2 champ dps - but melee DPS is just not as effective as ranged DPS (imo) so I switched.

My best team has been a main tank: 1 guard, 4 ranged DPS hunters and a mini healer with the hunters rotations being on spam keys and the mini heals set up with clickies and I controlled the tank through the game ui and keybinds (mostly) this way I pretty much "park' the hunters and mini in a corner and play the tank pretty much like I would if playing with a group of RL people by tanking the boss and adds by clicking and targeting mobs for the hunters to destroy with spam keying. I also have the tank set up in some of the rotation spams for routine trash mob play.

As far as aggro management goes the best advice I can give is when in doubt - do nothing. Seriously stop spamming the DPS and healing and just tank the mofo - the toons know what to do. and it doesn't take much to snap the aggro back and gradually bring back the hurt once you have a re-lock - same thing goes with the pull - let the guard get all the heat before you bring in the pain, use the guards self healing if necessary to keep the adds from rushing the mini before you get a swipe or three on their noggin.

My computer could never handle 12 accounts and I had to short man raids. Sometimes it was fun. Sometimes it was profitable. but it mostly just sucked.
I too would like to see a vid of the 12 man raids.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online