FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

3 Man Setup - ISBoxer 4.0 - Guide

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Nyello

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:09 am

3 Man Setup - ISBoxer 4.0 - Guide

Lax, I hope this okay to post here. I thought it could help new users with the most current version you have out.

I also have this available in a MSWord Doc and PDF format if there is any interest in that.

*Disclaimer*

I am a brand new ISBoxer user and have only been utilizing the program for about 3 days. With that said, I read about 15 guides on how to do a couple of basic functions. Most of which were written before 4.0, which apparently implemented a lot of the steps in those guides via the wizard. After trying multiple different setups over a 12 hour period, I cleared my setup, and started over. The following are the steps I utilized to get a working setup in pretty short period of time. Hopefully this will help some other newbies, or those who are contemplating the software, but think it will be too hard to figure out.

This guide will give you a basic ISBoxer 4.0 setup for a three man team on two monitors in Lord of the Rings Online. This is meant to be a step by step guide that will give you a playable three man team with the following basic setup:

 2 Monitor Setup with Instant Swapping
 Select Leader
 Follow Leader
 Assist Leader
 A Mouse Repeater Zone for those who like to Click
 Combat Hot Keys That Pass To Each Window

I am going to assume you have read the guides on downloading and installing the software, but here is the quick and dirty as it relates to LOTRO.
 Register
 Download
 Install
 Run the Quick Setup Wizard

o Choose the LOTRO Options

o Add your 3 characters (use Actual names)

o Name Your Character Set ( I chose “Hunters” since I am setting up my 3 hunters)

o Choose Full Screen-ish main window on Display 1 and the rest on Display2. Swapping Enabled. (It will have a 1 on the primary display and 2 and 3 on the bottom of the second display)

That is it for the initial setup wizard, pretty simple and straightforward. Now we can move in to actually setting our team up with a basic setup that gets us in game and pewpewing in no time.
Now there a lot of guides out there and from what I can tell from them you can really start editing from pretty much any section, but I am going to take you through what worked for me. So lets get started.

 In the upper left hand corner select and expand “Character Sets” and then click on “Hunters” (or whatever you named your character set during the wizard setup)

 In the bottom left of the ui you should now see “Hunters” – “Slots” – and then 1, 2, & 3 with your characters names under each.

 Click on the 1 on the left side and then click on the variable Keystrokes Tab on the Right side pane.

 Now for Slot 1 we are going to need to create 3 variable keystrokes. We do this by pressing the “+” button on the right side two times.

 In the first slot we are going to click the drop down on the left and select “Target Slot 1”.
o On the right side we will click the “<” and set our hotkey to “F1”
 In the second slot we will click the drop down on the left and select “Target Slot 2”.
o On the right side we will click the “<” and set our hotkey to “F2”
 In the third slot we will click the drop down on the left and select “Target Slot 3”.
o On the right side we will click the “<” and set our hotkey to “F3”

*The F1, F2, and F3 keys correspond to how the Function keys work in the game. For party slot 1, F1 will select you, F2 will select group member 2, and F3 will select group member 3.
Now we just need to do the same thing with slots 2 and 3, with a slight modification.
 Click on the 2 on the left side of the ui. Variable keystrokes tab will already be selected on the right.
 This time we only need two variable keystrokes, so press the “+” button only once.
 In the first slot we are going to click the drop down on the left and select “Target Slot 1”.
 In the second slot we are going to click the drop down on the left and select “Target Slot 2”.

*Notice the change? Remember that “F1” will always target you, so for our second group member we need to select “F2” to target our leader, who is always in party slot 1. Make since?

Now we just need to setup slot 3.

 Click on the 3 on the left side of the ui. Variable keystrokes tab will already be selected on the right.
 This time we will need three variable keystrokes again, so press the “+” button twice.
 In the second slot we are going to click the drop down on the left and select “Target Slot 2”.
o On the right side we will click the “<” and set our hotkey to “F3”

*Again you will notice that we are modifying the order of the Function keys to correlate with our party member slot position.

Now to bring this all together we need to create a new mapped key and assign a hotkey to it, and then add two steps to it that will make all of this work. Luckily, ISBoxer Wizard that we ran in the beginning automatically created the key map we needed. Here is what we do to find it and add a hotkey to it:

 In the top left box of the UI select “Key Maps” and then click on “Non-Combat”.

 In the bottom left box of the UI select “Follow me” and expand it.

 On the bottom right of the UI you should now see Hotkey. Click the "<” and assign whatever Hotkey you would like to use for follow and select your options.
o I chose “CTRL – Mouse Wheel Up” and to execute the step on ”Press or Release”.

 Now the rest of this Hotkey, which is already setup via the wizard, is what makes this all work together. Step 1: Target Slot, targets your leader – Step 2:Follow Target, follows your leader.

*The Target “Window All w/o Current” is what tells the program to send this keystroke to only your followers not your leader. This allows your leader to keep his current target.

Now from here you can also setup your Assist Me Hotkey, which is found just below the Follow Me Hotkey on the bottom left of the UI.

*The great thing about LOTRO is an option in the in-game settings that allows pass-through targeting. This will negate the need for assist in most situations, as all you need to do is hit your follow hotkey and you’re other characters will dps your leader’s target automatically.

The last two things you need to do to make this work are:

Click on "Variable Keystrokes in the Top left of the UI.
Click on "Follow Target" in the bottom left of the UI.
Set "Default key Combination" in the lower right of the UI. (Set to whatever your follow keymap is set to in-game)

Save, Export to Innerspace, and you will now have a working Select, Target, and Follow the leader setup. In addition you will have your clients configured to have your Leader on your main display and your followers separated on the second display with instant swapping. Instant Swapping allows you to click on one of your follower’s screen from the second display and instantly have it switched to your main display.

In this next section we will setup our mouse repeater zones for those who like to ‘click” and combat hotkeys that will pass to each window.
Last edited by Nyello on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
<<

Nyello

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 am

Re: 3 Man Setup - ISBoxer 4.0 - Guide

To setup mouse repeater zones, we need to actually log our team into the game. You hopefully know how to do that, but the short and sweet of it is to right click on Innerspace, located on the right of your taskbar, hover over character set, and then click on your set (in my case “Hunters”).

Once in-game, you can form your group.

*Make sure to invite your followers in the same order that you set them up in ISBoxer.

 To bring up the ISBoxer in-game GUI, press “CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, G”.

 Next, Click the “Repeater Regions” Tab.

 In the “Target” box, select “all other”.
o This will tell the repeater region to repeat on both of your follower’s windows
 Under “Mapped Key on enter/exit”, select “Always On”
o This will keep the repeater zone active all of the time.

 Now we need to move and size our repeater zone to the area that you want it. In this example I have move my repeater zone to cover my combat action bars.
o In order to resize the repeater box, click in the grey outline area and drag.

 Next click the “Sync” button.
o This syncs our repeater zone to your other two clients.
 Now under “Region Set” click in the box and name the repeater region we just created. I chose combat as this was the region I made specifically for my combat abilities.

 Next click on “Save as” and “CTRL, SHIFT, ALT G” to close the GUI.

That is it. If you want to create other clickable areas, go ahead and set them up the same way.

*One thing to note is that if you hover your mouse over these areas, it turns on repeater, so not only will the buttons repeat, all of your inputs, both keyboard and mouse will repeat. This is why you want to keep your repeater regions small and limited only to the areas you need them. I inadvertently placed one in the middle of my screen when learning this, and kept having my team run off in different directions. It took me about two reboots before I realized what I had done!
Last edited by Nyello on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Nyello

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 am

Reserved Part 3
<<

blagarswinth

Post Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am

thanks *very* much for this guide! helped me get things set up and start to understand how this thing works under the covers. i was hoping to find something like OGRE (eq2) for LOTRO, but this i think is about as close as anything is gonna get right now for LOTRO. so far i love it! just setting up a captain/alt combo and plan to add a 3rd account a little later once i get the kinks worked out. time to start digging into this and see what can be done to make things more automatic =) thanks again!

yikes! did i violate site rules?!
Last edited by blagarswinth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Nyello

Post Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

Glad it helped. I hope to have the 3rd section done on hotkeys in a couple days, just got busy with work and children.
<<

Meshuggenah

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:21 am

Doesn't this setup run into problems when the party slot positions of your group change (IE, you join a raid)?
<<

SouthernGenius

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:59 am

Yes Meshuggenah, that could happen. The only way to avoid that is to be the Raid leader and YOU invite everyone else into the raid after the slaves have been added. Then the slots will work fine.

To OP:
As for the slot 2 setup with the F-keys I don't think this is completely correct or at least not uniform. If you have a setup where the party leader is slot 1 and is Guardian(tank), slot 2 is Minstrel(heals), and slot 3 is Hunter(ranged) then there is no explicit way to target slot 3 (Hunter) for heals from slot 2 unless all the default values are set in the main variable Key Map for F1-F??. And if THAT is true, then you don't need ANY assignments for slot 1 as they will always line up with the default settings.

You may not need any assignments for the F1 key either since InnerSpace should use the "target self" variable (which I know you set up as F1 ;) ) in that situation where slot 3 is targeting slot 3. (I don't know for sure about that as I am just getting started, but it makes logical sense to me :D ). But if that is the case, then all you really need to setup up is nothing for slot 1, slot 2 targeting the tank with F2 and the Hunter with F3, also setup slot 3(Hunter) with tank=F2 and Minstrel=F3. I personally say make all 3 bindings explicit. Meaning you should do an F1-F3 for EACH slot. That way there is NO mistake about who is who (or is it whom?) Make sure and setu the assist with "f" even thought you don't need it for battles. It works great at getting slaves to target a Stablemaster. :) That's what I did on my initial setup and it works flawless when it comes to follow, invite, heals, using objects/NPCs, etc.

The only snafu is I tried implementing some text reporting like "/f currently using your item!" into the fellowship chat window. I sure as hell can't get that to work right. The more I read I think it may be because there is a way to bot or break the EULA if that sort of thing is allowed. I'm not sure, but I CAN say for certain that pasting text into the chat window and calling the enter key will not work! haha

Excellent guide even though I said all the above. I hope you see my post as constructive and not just complaining. :)
Cheerio!
<<

Theo the dutch

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 am

I started ISboxing a few months ago and didn't used the forum much.
I will use it more it will save me a lot trying and mistakes.
Thx for this good post.
I hope i find more of this on the forum so i can use more of the IS boxer abilities :)

Return to Lord of the Rings Online