FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

XP Pro SP3 / ISBoxer / LOTRO no longer a working combo?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

OneWay

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm

XP Pro SP3 / ISBoxer / LOTRO no longer a working combo?

Hi, this topic started out in ISBoxer's IRC chat. Just in case it's more convenient for the community, I'm posting the topic here.

It seems that Windows XP Pro SP3, ISBoxer, & LOTRO has issues working together nowadays. I'm not sure if anyone else has been able to successfully get this combo to work recently. I used ISBoxer with LOTRO for about a year successfully with XP Pro, took a break, and decided to give it a go again this year. Unfortunately, this issue popped up unexpectedly. The culprit is perhaps something that changed with LOTRO, or perhaps some WindowsUpdate patch.

I've already tried:
-using the last two NVidia WHQL driver versions (May 2012 & Jan 2013)
-verified that there is no NVidia Forceware (running only graphics driver & NVidia update)
-"stopped" most unnecessary services (AV, WindowsUpdate, Task Scheduler, DropBox, Java QuickStarter, etc etc.)
-Except for Malicious Software tools, all critical WindowsUpdates applied.
-Verified that the only version of DirectX set is DX9c.
-uninstalled remote access software, especially those with "mirror drivers".

Here are the symptoms:
-ISBoxer launches the LOTRO invoker (launcher).
-After logging in and selecting your subscription, the launcher window disappears as normal and launches the LOTRO game client.
-The LOTRO game client window appears, but stays black (rather than fade into the Riders of Rohan background).
-Within 1-5 seconds, the LOTRO game client window silently crashes/aborts and disappears.

Creo has tested and replicated a very similar issue on his side today, where the LOTRO game client window stays black, but never updates nor disappears.

LAX is looking into the issue now.

Someone asked me to run a diag on it, and here are the details if it helps anyone:
http://privatepaste.com/8999834167

I'm sure I've left out a ton of details, but thank you for all your help! :D
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:29 am

Re: XP Pro SP3 / ISBoxer / LOTRO no longer a working combo?

This is fixed as of Inner Space build 5760, currently the development build of Inner Space. To try it out, right click IS, select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches" then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up
<<

OneWay

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks Lax (and Creo too). Let me go test it now!
<<

OneWay

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

When creo & I tried the dev patch, it only reports build # 5759. LOTROclient.exe still crashes after a few seconds just as before patching.

I'll await further instructions then. Thank you.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Sorry about that, 5760 is now available for real this time
<<

OneWay

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 pm

TY Lax!

Here's a summary of my test results for build 5760:

The LOTROclient is working better and stays up longer, but it still crashes somewhere after the WB cinematic and where it displays the Character Selection screen. Twice it crashed less than a second after the char select screen popped up.

At least now an ISBoxer process diag report can be captured. Regardless if I capture it before or during the WB cinematic, the diag reports are pretty much the same as this:
http://privatepaste.com/fb2cae7791

Lax is currently working on this more to resolve the problem.

TY Lax & Creo!
<<

OneWay

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:03 am

Hi Lax,

1. Under InnerSpace, should I still have "Download Development (test) patches" check-marked?
It probably doesn't matter either way as I'm not using it these days... :/

2. Is there a rough time estimate for the next release addressing this XP Pro / LOTRO issue?

Thank you again!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

1. When this is fixed for you, it will first be fixed in the development build. Therefore, sure.

2. Impossible to say for sure, but I do get more time to work on this type of issue on weekdays than on weekends... it could be fixed this week, but really it depends on how many problems I run into while trying to fix this for you, as well as how many unrelated things I need to address at the same time.
<<

OneWay

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Lax,

TY. I look forward to using ISBoxer soon!
<<

OneWay

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Lax,

I noticed that the build number did go up to 5766 earlier this week, and that the patch notes mentioned something about a Windows XP crash fix with LOTRO. But this patch build has not been released yet, correct? TY again, by the way!
Next

Return to Lord of the Rings Online