FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Startup speedup

Moderator: MiRai

<<

grandemtn

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 am

Startup speedup

Just a quick note I hadn't seen mentioned before... If you start LOTRO with PyLOTRO (the python launcher), you can rename the startup logo and get your toons into the game faster. I renamed C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\raw\en\logo\turbine_logo.bik to turbine_logoa.bik... that skipped the WB logo. I hear if you use the regular launcher, it'll replace it... but PYLOTRO does not.
<<

tanker

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 am

Re: Startup speedup

You can also hit escape skip the WB logo and the advertisement afterwords.

I suspect you could setup a virtual file in ISBoxer to avoid the re-download with the standard client as well.
<<

FuryOfNature

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:49 am

Thanks grandemtn. I'm now using PyLotro to avoid turbine_logo.bik being automatically downloaded. I have 9 Lotro subscriptions (1x Lifetime and 8x F2P) under a single Lotro account, and PyLotro handles the selection of which subscription to launch after login flawlessly as well.

I use http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=483 to replace the lotro_generic_teleport_screen_0n.jpg's and http://wallsdl.com/wallpapers/2012/03/the-lord-of-the-rings-wallpaper-576x1024.jpg to replace lotro_ad_pregame.jpg. I find them much more immersive than the standard images.

I have experimented with using virtual files to prevent turbine_logo.bik being automatically downloaded with the standard Turbine invoker / launcher. Without delving into LavishScript and working closer to the InnerSpace Uplink, I don't know how it can be achieved using virtual files in ISBoxer, as you need the launcher to find the file, but then the client to not find the file.

Of course one can simply hit Escape to cut off the logo video once it loads and starts, but I like not having to as it means my Window's focus is on the next slot's launcher windows instead and I can fire them off at 4 second intervals. So overall the whole teams gets loaded more rapidly.

So for now, I'm using PyLotro instead.
<<

theermine

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 am

I know this is a pretty old topic but, I have gotten this to work so it bypasses the turbine_logo.bik. Just wanted to share.

1. Create a new "Virtual file".
2. Name that virtual file the full complete path to the original .bik file, in my case it was:
"F:\Games\The Lord of the Rings Online\raw\en\logo\turbine_logo.bik"
3. Add this to each of your characters.
4. Start them up.

The first time they are started a bunch of files will be created in the same location as the original, each file will be named for the character it's created for.

5. Shut down all the toons and open each file that was created with a text editor, clear it's contents and save the blank file.
6. Now you can restart your team and test it out.
7. Enjoy a much faster startup.

Hope it helps, it has made my 6 man team much more bearable to get started up.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 am

The name of the Virtual File should just be turbine_logo.bik, excluding any path. The path to any Virtual File is automatically discovered when the file is used by the game. :)
<<

theermine

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:55 am

Kew, Lax.. The full path works too so, I'm not complaining. Could have sworn I tried it without the path and it didn't.. I'm likely mistaken though. Old brain. 8-)
<<

FuryOfNature

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 am

Thank you theermine. That worked perfectly (using just turbine_logo.bik, excluding any path). Much appreciated!
<<

theermine

Post Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:35 am

FuryOfNature wrote:Thank you theermine. That worked perfectly (using just turbine_logo.bik, excluding any path). Much appreciated!

Glad to be able to help.
<<

oneida

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 pm

thanks. great tip.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online