FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Suffering catastrophic crashes

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Thea

Post Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:52 pm

Suffering catastrophic crashes

I'm running v7047 on Windows 10 that's fully patched.

I run a 15-instance music band, and I've had occasional problems when I'm done playing and my band is just sitting there of spontaneously almost all of the instances crash out. Tonight, it happened in the middle of a performance! I have a critical major performance coming up in two weeks that, if that happens during it, performance is over. It takes 15 minutes to reload everyone and get them set up.

Any debug statements that I could start a trace running and hope for a crash? Or any other suggestions?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:36 pm

Re: Suffering catastrophic crashes

Er, that is probably indicating a system-wide issue if many instances are crashing out at the same time, as opposed to something with ISBoxer or Inner Space directly causing it. It could possibly be some other application doing something at that time that happens to be incompatible, so one thing to try is shutting down other running programs.

I would definitely suggest trying the development build of Inner Space. If it *is* an issue with IS/ISBoxer, build 7097 has a lot of fixes since 7047, and could possibly solve the issue.

Does the crash produce an error box, or do the windows just "disappear"? If they produce a crash box of any sort (either a Lavish crash reporter, or a Windows crash window, etc) then there should also be additional debugging information available. When a Lavish crash reporter pops up, there will be a .dmp file with the name of the game client in your Inner Space folder, like "lotroclient.exe.dmp", which you could send to me for analysis. If a Windows crash box pops up, there should be a .dmp file in %LocalAppData%\CrashDumps (you can press Windows+R and paste that into the Run box) for name_of_client.exe.####.dmp (where #### is the process ID that crashed/disappeared/didn't launch), like it might be lotroclient.exe.1234.dmp. If there is a .dmp file, there is a better chance that we can at least identify the cause of the problem, and hopefully work around or fix it.

Feel free to come to the ISBoxer Discord, the team can try to help you work through it and we do have a channel for LOTRO-specific discussion. If you'd like you can also find info there on the top secret new ISBoxer 2 open alpha release, which can import your ISBoxer 1 settings and perhaps work around the issue by not being ISBoxer 1. Though, there are still a few missing features, so it is also possible you'd still prefer ISBoxer 1. Either way, I would be happy to help you with your LOTRO band; ISBoxer 2 has MIDI input and output support that might be relevant to some LOTRO bands (mainly people with actual MIDI devices), and I had a fairly decent GUI built for managing LOTRO bands that I would actually be interested in providing an update for.
<<

Thea

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:42 am

It's crashing with no error messages from ISB, Windows just gives 'An error occurred with Lotro64', or something like that, not the full crash/debug dialog. I checked the dump directory just in case and everything there is two years old, nothing fresh.

I'm a long-term IT professional and I haven't ruled out it being a hardware problem, except nothing else is crashing on my system. After I posted, I heard from a friend that another mutual friend of ours is recommending the previous build for stability. I'll check out the beta build and do some stress testing hopefully this weekend. My PC is an Asus ROG, albeit an older one, back when their laptops were less twitchy. 32 gig of ram, so plenty for running 15 instances. I'll look into the Discord later - I'm not really a fan of Discord even though I use it a lot, I find it hard to track things when they have a high message flow.
<<

TonyO

Post Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:39 pm

I've been 6 boxing lotro a long time. Currently leveling my 7th team of 6. I don't play music with my team, but I have certainly encountered a crash-to-desktop. For me, lotro will crash when I accidentally form a loop in my mapped keys.

For example, I can force a ctd with maps like this:
Keymap 1, Step 1) do skill 1, Step 2) do Keymap 2
Keymap 2, Step 1) do skill 2, Step 2) do Keymap 3
Keymap 3, Step 1) do skill 3, Step 2) do Keymap 1

Return to Lord of the Rings Online