FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LOTRO - Login successful but game stops right after

Moderator: MiRai

<<

alarys

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:44 am

LOTRO - Login successful but game stops right after

Hi there,

I've been using ISboxer for WoW for a long time. It's great.

I have started to play LOTRO and remembered there was support for that too, but when I try to launch the game, I can log in, but then the game stops after the login. I can play the game fine without going through Innerspace/Isboxer.

I have put the game folder in as an exception in the Windows Defender antivirus (I don't have any other antivirus).
I have added the LOTRO LotroLauncher.exe to the games list in Innerspace.
I have the game set to use "Windowed" mode in the graphics. I've also tried DX9 and DX11 modes.

I tried to launch the game from Innerspace, without a character set, and the same issue happens. I get the login screen, I log in, and the game starts, then stops soon after.

I have tried looking in the game logs and nothing looks out of place.

I'm looking for some hints or assistance. I have gone through all the posts here, and none of the things I've found are applicable or have helped.

Thanks!
<<

alarys

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: LOTRO - Login successful but game stops right after

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks to the folks who responded to me on the (ancient) IRC channel. I didn't know that Discord was a thing for Isboxer, and have subscribed to the Discord channel as well.

I've made some progress on my issue, but it's still crashing. I suspect it may be related to the Windows 10 Feature Update that I just applied, as others have mentioned that it is related to a Windows Update. Unfortunately I can't go back, and I don't know if it was working before the feature update, because I just started playing LOTRO with Isboxer after I applied that update.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... formation/

I am on the latest 2004 version, 19041.388 date of 2020-07-14

I would try an older laptop without the update, but my Lavish account is tied to this PC, so that makes troubleshooting a bit hard.

I tried using the command line launcher that was mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6729&start=10

That launcher still works, but didn't help my issue.

I downloaded the cmd launcher, put it into my LOTRO directory, and was able to launch the game directly with the cmd launcher options. This is pretty handy in itself, as it saves me from having to use the launcher.

Code:
Usage: cmdlineTurbineLauncher [worldname] [username] [password] [optional:subscription nickname] [optional:x64/legacy]
[worldname] does not need to be the full world name with the [US] type extension. Just the normal name, e.g. Riddermark
[optional:subscription nickname] this is only required when you have more than one game subscription on the same Turbine account, for the same game.
you can set a nickname in the Turbine account maintenance.
[optional:x64/legacy] to use the 64bit OR the legacy game client

I added the cmd launcher to Innerspace as a Game, and set up a profile with the needed command line options.

But when I launch the game with Innerspace, it still stops shortly after.

I'd really like to use Isboxer with LOTRO, and really hope that whatever update MS did can be identified and fixed. I'm happy to provide whatever information you need.

I would generate a diagnostic file, but the game crashes before I can get Isboxer to select the process and create a diagnostic.
<<

alarys

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm

I've been reading the Discord chat activity for the LOTRO issue.

I was able to use Process Explorer to pause the LOTRO app before the crash, and generate a diagnostic and a dump

Isboxer diagnostic
https://pastebin.com/zsTDsztE
<<

alarys

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:32 pm

So I downgraded to windows build 1909 and now Innerspace launches the game, and Isboxer is working to launch it as well.

So yes, it's definitely something in the feature update of 2004.
<<

mrlamano

Post Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks for the info alarys, I have the same problem.
Clean installed Windows 10 and updated to v2004. LOTRO on its own works fine; with Innerspace I can log on but the client crashes just after the "connection successful" message.
In my case the second logon screen will freeze after 20-30 seconds, although I have time to log on.

I can't downgrade to v1909 though and don't want to reinstall from scratch so looking forward to a solution for v2004.
<<

mrlamano

Post Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks to the devs the game fully launches with the new IS build.
The second logon screen still freezes after a while but not a critical problem.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online