Lotro and multi-boxing TOS

Moderator: MiRai

<<

snoopkimble

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Lotro and multi-boxing TOS

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php? ... O-Dev-Team

Below is what Sapience just posted,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :P

Q20: What is being done about Multi-boxing/Rank Farming?
A20: We’ve been having a very active discussion with the Players Council about this recently. One of the challenges here is breaking the issue into its component parts.

Multi-boxing in-and-of-itself is not inherently bad or against our TOS. The Launcher allows you to run multiple clients and the bug preventing this was recently fixed.

Rank Farming, which doesn’t require mutli-boxing by the way, is another matter entirely. We’ve run several investigations to figure out how best to address it and so far haven’t been happy with the results. False positives, which could lead to potentially banning Top Tier PvMP players because they accumulate more renown/infamy than most rank farmers over the same period of time, are a major concern.

It’s a much more complicated matter than simply checking a database and banning those who rapidly accumulate infamy and renown. It’s a complex issue and we continue to discuss and investigate reasonable and appropriate ways to address it. - Sapience
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :P
<<

DutchEZmoder

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:34 am

Re: Lotro and multi-boxing TOS

snoopkimble wrote:http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?515600-Twenty-Questions-with-the-LOTRO-Dev-Team

Below is what Sapience just posted,

Q20: What is being done about Multi-boxing/Rank Farming?
A20: We’ve been having a very active discussion with the Players Council about this recently. One of the challenges here is breaking the issue into its component parts.

Multi-boxing in-and-of-itself is not inherently bad or against our TOS. The Launcher allows you to run multiple clients and the bug preventing this was recently fixed.

Rank Farming, which doesn’t require mutli-boxing by the way, is another matter entirely. We’ve run several investigations to figure out how best to address it and so far haven’t been happy with the results. False positives, which could lead to potentially banning Top Tier PvMP players because they accumulate more renown/infamy than most rank farmers over the same period of time, are a major concern.

It’s a much more complicated matter than simply checking a database and banning those who rapidly accumulate infamy and renown. It’s a complex issue and we continue to discuss and investigate reasonable and appropriate ways to address it. - Sapience

Basically the person asking the question doesn't understand what multiboxing is, but Sapience knows. In other words, it's allowed, but rank farming isn't, which isn't related to multiboxing.
<<

AmazingBender

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 am

DutchEZmoder wrote:
Basically the person asking the question doesn't understand what multiboxing is, but Sapience knows. In other words, it's allowed, but rank farming isn't, which isn't related to multiboxing.

There is nothing stopping you from rank-farming while you multibox though... I've seen many conga-lines in the moors running towards a certain death time after time in the same spot... I have not boxed a lot in the moors on my own, but I have defeated a tyrant late one night when there was only a few people online :-P
<<

DutchEZmoder

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:47 pm

AmazingBender wrote:
DutchEZmoder wrote:

There is nothing stopping you from rank-farming while you multibox though... I've seen many conga-lines in the moors running towards a certain death time after time in the same spot... I have not boxed a lot in the moors on my own, but I have defeated a tyrant late one night when there was only a few people online :-P

The thing that can stop you is a GM because it's not allowed to rank farm. And those conga lines are often people who don't use multibox software, just multiple clients on follow.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online