Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:34 am

Using the EVE Launcher - September 2016

Okay folks, I'm going to try to put relevant information in the same post so hopefully everyone can be better prepared for 9/20 when they disable exefile.exe logins. (Never Forget!)

NEW! ISBoxer EVE Launcher
ISBoxer EVE Launcher is an open source EVE Launcher, which will securely store your EVE passwords for automatic login, and convenient Inner Space/ISBoxer integration.

Using ISBoxer EVE Launcher is now more convenient for use with ISBoxer than using the official EVE Launcher.

Download and instructions are available at: https://github.com/LavishSoftware/ISBoxerEVELauncher

Common Issues
I'm putting this up here to make sure you see it. There are very easy, quick fixes for common issues.
1. THE GAME WINDOWS ARE BLACK: There is an option within the launcher to launch the game in Direct3D 9 mode -- enable this option and try again.
2. THE GAME WINDOWS LAUNCH IN THE SAME POSITION, NO WINDOW LAYOUT: This is from trying to use the same EVE Launcher instance to launch multiple toons, instead of closing the EVE Launcher after it launches ISBoxer's intended Slot. What is happening is all of the game windows are becoming Slot 1, instead of the second window becoming Slot 2 and so on. ISBoxer 42 Beta introduces a new "Dynamic Launch Mode" option that improves support for launching multiple instances via the EVE Launcher. If you're interested, I've included instructions at the bottom of this post.

Uncommon Issues
3. THE EVE LAUNCHER IS CRASHING: The EVE Launcher should not be crashing, this is most likely an incompatibilty with something running on your PC. The instructions in this thread are NOT related to making it stop crashing, however the first advice is always for you to try closing other running software on your own to see if you can get the problem to go away.. If you need help with a crash issue, please start a new thread and provide "Diagnostics for game crashes" (http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics; in ISBoxer 42 Beta this is named "Compatibility diagnostics").

ISBoxer Setup
I HAVE A EXISTING CHARACTERS SET UP IN ISBOXER THAT I WANT TO LAUNCH
1. First you need to add the EVE Launcher to Inner Space. Right click Inner Space in the system notification area and select "Add Game", then either drag EVE Launcher (either the shortcut from your desktop, or the file itself) into the Add Game window, or use the "..." button to navigate to the EVE Launcher executable. You can put whatever you like for the Name, but if you just make it "EVE Launcher" it should be easy for you to identify which one to use in ISBoxer.
2. Select each Character in the top left pane under Characters, then set the Game and Game Profile in the bottom right pane. If you named it "EVE Launcher" in Step 1, you will be looking for "EVE Launcher" under "Game" and "EVE Launcher Default Profile" under "Game Profile".
3. Export to Inner Space. If you forget to Export, then when you launch your team it's still going to use the old settings!
4. Proceed to Launch

I AM SETTING UP NEW CHARACTERS/TEAM IN ISBOXER
1. First you need to add the EVE Launcher to Inner Space. Right click Inner Space in the system notification area and select "Add Game", then either drag EVE Launcher (either the shortcut from your desktop, or the file itself) into the Add Game window, or use the "..." button to navigate to the EVE Launcher executable. You can put whatever you like for the Name, but if you just make it "EVE Launcher" it should be easy for you to identify which one to use in ISBoxer.
2. Use the Quick Setup Wizard as always, and make sure to select the correct Game and Game Profile for the EVE Launcher, for each of your Characters
3. Export to Inner Space
4. Proceed to Launch

Launching your EVE team with ISBoxer
1. Make sure the EVE Launcher is not running -- Tip: the EVE Launcher MAY be "Minimized to Tray". Check the System Notifications (Tray) area for an EVE icon; if the EVE Launcher is there, right click and select Exit. (thanks soleilnu! source)
2. Launch your Character Set -- the first EVE Launcher instance comes up
3. Log into your first account
4. Click Play -- the first EVE game instance comes up
5. The EVE Launcher must now CLOSE. CLOSE IT.
6. To continue the launching process at this point, repeat from step #1 ("Make sure ...") with the game window(s) still open.

Dynamic Launch Mode
Dynamic Launch Mode is not the recommended way to launch the game, due to the described limitations. However, some users may find it useful.
Documentation specifically on Dynamic Launch Mode: http://isboxer.com/wiki/Dynamic_Launch_Mode

Potentially important limitations when using Dynamic Launch Mode
This is detailed in the Dynamic Launch Mode documentation, but I am pasting it here anyway:
Because ISBoxer can only apply settings after it finds your launched game windows, the game is expected to have done a few things before ISBoxer takes over.
  • Window Layouts may not correctly apply in common cases.
    • When ISBoxer launches the game, it is able to force certain restrictions when the game sets up Direct3D, such as making sure the game is placed in windowed mode if needed, or disabling V-Sync. In Dynamic Launch Mode, you may need to handle those settings on your own.
  • Virtual Files cannot be applied to things the game does immediately at launch time, which may typically include loading the game's settings file. (In other words, the game may LOAD using the main settings file, and later SAVE using your Virtual File. "My settings don't save")

If you find that you need to work around one of these limitations, we may be able to help you with that...

CONFIGURE DYNAMIC LAUNCH MODE
Dynamic Launch Mode must be enabled on a Character Set you've already created, it is not an option during the Quick Setup Wizard. If you have not created your Character Set, do that first, and then follow these instructions.

1. In the top left pane in ISBoxer, under Character Sets, select yours
2. In the bottom right pane, at the top of the General tab, tick "I want to launch a Game Profile for each Slot myself (Dynamic Launch Mode)"
3. Export to Inner Space -- don't forget this, or ISBoxer won't be using your changed setting!
4. Proceed to Launch!

LAUNCH!
1. Make sure the EVE Launcher is not running -- Tip: the EVE Launcher MAY be "Minimized to Tray". Check the System Notifications (Tray) area for an EVE icon; if the EVE Launcher is there, right click and select Exit. (thanks soleilnu! source)
2. Launch your Character Set -- the first EVE Launcher instance SHOULD NOT AUTOMATICALLY COME UP. If it does, go back to "Configure Dynamic Launch Mode" above, you missed either #2 or #3. All that should happen is ISBoxer is put in a waiting mode, waiting for the game instances. If no game instances are launched within 6 minutes it will stop waiting.
3. Launch the EVE Launcher via Inner Space (e.g. right click Inner Space, and under "EVE Launcher", select "EVE Launcher Default Profile", if you named it "EVE Launcher" when adding to Inner Space)
4. Launch all of your game instances via the EVE Launcher. You do not need to close the EVE Launcher. As the game instances come up, ISBoxer should automatically accept them and place them into your Window Layout.

Tip: As long as the EVE Launcher was launched via Inner Space, you can do the "Launch your Character Set" step at any point in the process. You can launch all of your game instances via the EVE Launcher, then realize you forgot to launch your Character Set, and do that part afterward.