FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[Issue with GarpaUI] Recent Change to EVE Virtual Files?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Jeran

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:03 pm

[Issue with GarpaUI] Recent Change to EVE Virtual Files?

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! Read my post here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4828&start=10#p28578, use virtual files, do some manual copying and pasting, win at ISBoxer.

--- If you don't want to use ISBoxer's virtual files, keep reading and Lax explains how to do so ---

After a very recent update, ISBoxer appears to be using "cookies" and "settings/" as virtual files. Previously, I believe ISBoxer used "cookies" and "core_public__.yaml" as virtual files. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The problem I am having is that GarpaUI (an amazing program that syncs your overview and ui settings) no longer works because it targets the "USER/appdata/local/ccp/eve/c_program_files_(x86)_ccp_eve_tranquility/settings" folder (at least in my case), while ISBoxer now saves the relevant files (core_user_####.dat and core_char_####.dat) in the "USER/appdata/local/ccp/eve/c_program_files_(x86)_ccp_eve_tranquility/settings-NAME" folders, of which I have now have one for every character in ISBoxer.

I can still sync things manually, of course, but it's annoying and takes a while.

I can also copy everything into the "settings" folder, user GarpaUI, then copy everything back out. Again, annoying and hard to explain to people who haven't done it before.

Two questions:

First, how do I revert the virtual file settings to whatever they were previously? I'm aware that there is a wizard for virtual files but my attempts to fix the problem didn't work, so pictures or a detailed walkthrough on picking the right file would be amazing!

Second, what is the reason for virtualizing the settings folder? If it's something that we should get used to, I'll pass that on to the GarpaUI guys and maybe they can figure something out.
Last edited by Jeran on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: Recent Change to EVE Virtual File settings?

Correct. Someone else mentioned this issue with GarpaUI recently as well. I'm going to edit your thread title to reflect that this thread is specifically regarding GarpaUI and the next guy with the same question can hopefully find it. ;)

First, how do I revert the virtual file settings to whatever they were previously? I'm aware that there is a wizard for virtual files but my attempts to fix the problem didn't work, so pictures or a detailed walkthrough on picking the right file would be amazing!

1. In the top left pane under Virtual Files, select "settings/" and remove your Characters from the list in the bottom left. You can just delete the Virtual File but it's coming back if you use the Quick Setup Wizard ;)
2. Then use the Virtual File Wizard, leave it set as "Other (please specify file)" and in the filename box put core_public__.yaml, just as you said it was before. Click Next, and then you get to pick which Characters get this file virtualized.
3. Export to Inner Space
(yes that is all)

Second, what is the reason for virtualizing the settings folder? If it's something that we should get used to, I'll pass that on to the GarpaUI guys and maybe they can figure something out.

Basically the same reason as we had for virtualizing the settings file, except now people can also keep their multiboxing UI separate from their non-multiboxing UI without virtualizing dozens of individual files. Pass it on to the GarpaUI guys if you want
<<

Jeran

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: [Issue with GarpaUI] Recent Change to EVE Virtual Files?

Awesome, thanks!
<<

Jeran

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:10 pm

<<

DanISBoxes

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:54 pm

My bad, I kinda suggested this to lax.

---

For those that don't use GarpaUI; You can use the ole' fashion xcopy in windows to clone your eve settings.

A quick and dirty guide on how to do it.

Make a new batch file on your desktop. and open it in a text editor (notepad, notepad++).

Each line in the batch file will represent an original .dat file and a copied .dat file. The lines will look something like this:

C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\appdata\local\ccp\eve\c_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings\core_user_1234567890.dat" "C:\users\%username%\appdata\local\ccp\eve\c_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings_ISBOXSlot1\core_user_9584737.dat*"

Explaination of each part: The xcopy program location. All editions of Windows have this already Overwrites files without asking The core_user or core_char dat file you want to copy to all your chars The file it creates, the location it puts it and the name it will give the file Don't forget the * at the end of the second part.

Example Time:

I have 4 characters on 4 accounts that I want identical settings for. For this example, Instead of using the actual ID numbers in core_user and core_char, I will use the names below. Just replace the names in colors with your actual ID numbers.

The ISBoxer Slot Name - The User ID - The Character ID
Slot1 - Account1 - Bob
Slot2 - Account2 - Joe
Slot3 - Account3 - Tony
Slot4 - Account4 - Larry

First I will launch my team and login to each character. This will make ISBOXER generate their own separate folders and .dat files. I can then use the folders to get each ID for core_user and core_char.

Next I will configure Account1 and Bob with all the settings, window placements, and hotkeys I want in game. Account 1 and Bob will now be my templates for the remaining 3.

Now lets fill in the batch file with the commands: There will be 3 core_user and 3 core_char commands for a total of 6 commands once we're done.

Our Core_User_X.dat files first
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Account1.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot2\core_user_Account2.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Account1.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot3\core_user_Account3.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Account1.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot4\core_user_Account4.dat*"

Now our Core_Char_X.dat files last
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_char_Bob.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot2\core_user_Joe.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Bob.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot3\core_user_Tony.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Bob.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot4\core_user_Larry.dat*"

It doesn't matter what order you put the commands into the file, but I find it easiest to keep all the core_user and core_char lines together.

So now when our file is all complete, it will look something like this:
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Account1.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot2\core_user_Account2.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Account1.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot3\core_user_Account3.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Account1.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot4\core_user_Account4.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_char_Bob.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot2\core_user_Joe.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Bob.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot3\core_user_Tony.dat*"
C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot1\core_user_Bob.dat" "C:\users\Dan\Appdata\Local\CCP\EVE\C_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings-Slot4\core_user_Larry.dat*"

If you are still stumped, PM me and I can make the file for you or help you out.
<<

LargeChicken

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:19 pm

DanISBoxes wrote:My bad, I kinda suggested this to lax.

---

For those that don't use GarpaUI; You can use the ole' fashion xcopy in windows to clone your eve settings.

Make a new batch file on your desktop. and open it in a text editor (notepad, notepad++).

Each line in the batch file will represent an original .dat file and a copied .dat file. The lines will look something like this:

C:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /y "C:\users\Dan\appdata\local\ccp\eve\c_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings\core_user_1234567890.dat" "C:\users\%username%\appdata\local\ccp\eve\c_games_eve_online_tranquility\settings_ISBOXSlot1\core_user_9584737.dat*"

Explaination of each part: The xcopy program location. All editions of Windows have this already Overwrites files without asking The core_user or core_char dat file you want to copy to all your chars The file it creates, the location it puts it and the name it will give the file Don't forget the * at the end of the second part.

Example Time:

I have 4 characters on 4 accounts that I want identical settings for. For this example, Instead of using the actual ID numbers in core_user and core_char, I will use the names below. Just replace the names in colors with your actual ID numbers.

Slot1 - Account1 - Bob
Slot2 - Account2 - Joe
Slot3 - Account3 - Tony
Slot4 - Account4 - Larry

First I will launch my team and login to each character. This will make ISBOXER generate their own separate folders and .dat files. I can then use the folders to get each ID for core_user and core_char.

Next I will configure Account1 and Bob with all the settings, window placements, and hotkeys I want in game. Account 1 and Bob will now be my templates for the remaining 3.

Now lets fill in the batch file with the commands: There will be 3 core_user and 3 core_char commands for a total of 6 commands once we're done.

It doesn't matter what order you put the commands into the file, but I find it easiest to keep all the core_user and core_char lines together.

If you are still stumped, PM me and I can make the file for you or help you out.

That deserves its own thread and a sticky.
I want YOU! To ask me questions
Tell me what you want a tutorial on in my request thread Here

My games:
Eve Online

Expertise:
Mining
Shooting red crosses
IsBoxer Setup
VideoFX
<<

DanISBoxes

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:11 am

The good thing is, that xcopy can be used for any game that has virtual file usage, not just eve. As soon as I find out how to make innerspace run a batch file as a pre-startup option, you are looking at one powerful function.
<<

VJZion

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Re: Recent Change to EVE Virtual File settings?

lax wrote:Correct. Someone else mentioned this issue with GarpaUI recently as well. I'm going to edit your thread title to reflect that this thread is specifically regarding GarpaUI and the next guy with the same question can hopefully find it. ;)

1. In the top left pane under Virtual Files, select "settings/" and remove your Characters from the list in the bottom left. You can just delete the Virtual File but it's coming back if you use the Quick Setup Wizard ;)
2. Then use the Virtual File Wizard, leave it set as "Other (please specify file)" and in the filename box put core_public__.yaml, just as you said it was before. Click Next, and then you get to pick which Characters get this file virtualized.
3. Export to Inner Space
(yes that is all)

Basically the same reason as we had for virtualizing the settings file, except now people can also keep their multiboxing UI separate from their non-multiboxing UI without virtualizing dozens of individual files. Pass it on to the GarpaUI guys if you want

How would one make this work, if using core_public__.yaml does not seem to make it effective?
or should we be naming it the settings.yaml?
<<

BMW_Forever

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:40 pm

DanISBoxes wrote:My bad, I kinda suggested this to lax.

---

Example Time:

Slot1 - Account1 - Bob
Slot2 - Account2 - Joe
Slot3 - Account3 - Tony
Slot4 - Account4 - Larry

Can you help me? I'm noob. I don't understand where I owe it all to do and where to insert, and my English is bad, sorry. ((
You can make a video, how to do it? I think it will help not only to me.
<<

Jeran

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Using GarpaUI along with ISBoxer's virtual files takes an extra minute or two at most. See my post here for directions: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4828&start=10#p28578

The xcopy method suggested in this thread might be powerful but even trying to understand it has taken far more time than I'll ever spend doing the copy/paste method mentioned in my linked post.

Return to EVE Online