FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Oddity with FocusClickMode

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ranger

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Oddity with FocusClickMode

I am trying this software out and so far it looks great!

I am posting this issue here since there seem to be a lot of mouse related oddities with EVE (and I am playing EVE)...

I have set the click mode on my windows to treat clicks I use to set focus as real clicks (i.e. I have my eve window on my right screen, working on something else on my left and click one of my chat window tabs in eve, I would expect it to switch tabs). For whatever reason, it is ignoring that setting and I have to click twice).

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

The setting in the XML is:
Code:
<FocusClickMode>Click</FocusClickMode>

(full XML here: http://www.privatepaste.com/2608fbf979)
<<

ATTSS2

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Oddity with FocusClickMode

Have you tried this option (click on your window layout to get to it)? It should allow you to select client windows just by hovering the mouse on them.
ATributeToSystemShock2
<<

ranger

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:38 pm

ATTSS2 wrote:
Have you tried this option (click on your window layout to get to it)? It should allow you to select client windows just by hovering the mouse on them.

I do not want it to select by hovering over them, as I have to cross the area of the screen with my non-selected clients to get to the blank area where I do things like web-browse.
<<

ATTSS2

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:09 am

why would that be a problem? your main view will be throttled down to background fps when you focus your browser anyway
ATributeToSystemShock2
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 am

You shouldn't even notice it if you're doing it right, and the Swap option (the drop-down box at the top in ATTSS2's screenshot) needs to be set to something other than "always" to unlock this option.

I concur with ATTSS2 that it sounds like this is a better idea. I recommend trying it out, see how it performs even if you accidentally move your mouse over the windows (should be perfectly fine). This makes the "when I click to focus" option completely irrelevant and you can click or use whatever hotkeys just by mousing over the window.
<<

ranger

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:37 pm

While I agree it is a neat option, it doesn't work for my workflow/playflow.

Imagine you have an eve client on the right screen, three small ones on the left screen on the right side and a web browser on the left screen on the left side.

You are paying attention to chat and intel and the like on the eve client you have maximized...

Now how do you get to the web browser without switching clients?
<<

ATTSS2

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:21 am

If the swap feature is set to only when hotkey is pressed like in my picture then when you hover the mouse over the smaller clients they will be FOCUSED but not SWITCHED to. This means that the small window automatically receives focus from keyboard and mouse clicks but remains in its position and is not moved in the larger view. The extra click you need to perform otherwise comes from the fact that the windows you are clicking into are not focused so the first click focuses them without passing through to the contents of the window. I am afraid swapping only by hotkey and focusing on mouse hover is the ONLY way you can perform a click into a small client without bringing it to the larger view and with actually sending it the click aswell.
ATributeToSystemShock2
<<

ranger

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 am

ATTSS2 wrote:If the swap feature is set to only when hotkey is pressed like in my picture then when you hover the mouse over the smaller clients they will be FOCUSED but not SWITCHED to. This means that the small window automatically receives focus from keyboard and mouse clicks but remains in its position and is not moved in the larger view. The extra click you need to perform otherwise comes from the fact that the windows you are clicking into are not focused so the first click focuses them without passing through to the contents of the window. I am afraid swapping only by hotkey and focusing on mouse hover is the ONLY way you can perform a click into a small client without bringing it to the larger view and with actually sending it the click aswell.

So the way you have it set up now, if you hold the mouse over a window and click mouse 3 it shifts the main to that window? That could work.

However if that is the ONLY way, the setting named "When clicking to focus a window the game should treat it like any other click." seems to not make sense. Any idea what that setting is supposed to do if not what I am asking for?

In the mean time I will try the key+mouse to swap option as that might very well work well for me.

Thanks!
<<

ATTSS2

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm guessing the "do what it normaly does" functionality may swap to main or click through depending on other settings while "treat it like any other click" simply sends a click to the client in that region when the mouse clicks in it.
ATributeToSystemShock2
<<

ranger

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:08 am

ATTSS2 wrote:I'm guessing the "do what it normaly does" functionality may swap to main or click through depending on other settings while "treat it like any other click" simply sends a click to the client in that region when the mouse clicks in it.

Yes, but it is not clicking through or sending the click to the client in that region which is the point of my original post.

Return to EVE Online