FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How do you handle adds?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

oldgoat

Post Fri May 15, 2015 12:08 am

How do you handle adds?

I run 6 accounts in a setup that closely resembles Firescue's and across two computers.

This setup is awesome for killing single pulls/mobs, but sometimes, the inevitable happens and an add or two find their way into my camp.

So far, I've more or less just bit the bullet and manually either done CC with my enchanter, or wiped. But I'd like to know what you guys do to see if there is something to learn from it.

I'm going to use the example of Master Sage Lowenn in Argin Hiz as an example. This toon, when pulled, spawns 2 adds, and then another 2 every 20% until he's dead. The trick here is to immediately swap to the adds and kill them before continuing to take down Lowenn. I SHOULD be able to handle this event with my group, but I can't due to slow target switching. My group is:

MONK, WARRIOR, DRUID, ENCHANTER, NECRO, CLERIC

I pull with a monk, and, basically do the following when mob arrives in camp:

NUM1: everyone assist monk and send in pets (pet classes)
NUM3: Hammer key, this is the DPS rotation for everyone. WAR has his own defense/aggro rotation, and CLR does heal rotation

If an add pops, I hit NUM4 repeatedly, which will SHIFT+S (stop casting) into all my caster classes and then NUM1 for re-assist monk.

My assist macro is not fast. It looks somewhat like this:
Code:
/pause 3,/assist <<MONK>>
/pet attack
/assist <<WARRIOR>>   <-- (monk can be dead)
/em <<CLASSNAME>> engaged  <-- for me to see in the chat window that I actually hit the assist key

The challenge, of course, is that my casters will be midway in a spell when the need to swap targets happens, which is why my NUM4 sends SHIFT+S to all casters. I keep thinking there has to be a better, faster way of doing target swap, that's why I'd love to hear how you all handle it.

Keep in mind that this is for you heavy isboxers (3+ accounts). Handling adds with only 2-3 accounts is simpler. I need to always consider that ALL my toons are on the new target ASAP before I start slapping the DPS key (NUM3) and often that is not the case.
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri May 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: How do you handle adds?

oldgoat wrote:I keep thinking there has to be a better, faster way of doing target swap ...

Take all the dps stuff out of the /assist key.

/stand
/assist

That's it. Assist is assist. DPS is DPS. Tieing the /pet attack in there means there's no way to run a "no pet" rotation without rewriting your /socials.

I can't even fathom why you have a double assist off the monk and the warrior in the same /social. That's a huge waste of time.
<<

oldgoat

Post Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Valid point, but how do you do spell interrupts?
If 3 of my casters are in the middle of a spell, then /assist won't hit at all.
<<

firescue17

Post Sun May 17, 2015 11:19 am

oldgoat wrote:Valid point, but how do you do spell interrupts?

I don't.
<<

oldgoat

Post Sun May 17, 2015 11:28 am

firescue17 wrote:

I don't.

Aah! So you can't do Master Sage Lowenn then, or handle unexpected adds very well? I'm getting this to work now (not perfect still, but close) and I can now do him :)
<<

oldgoat

Post Sun May 17, 2015 11:36 am

SOLVED:

So, in everquest, there is an in-game keyboard shortcut that you can set. It's named "STOP ACTION" and it only exists in the keyboard shortcuts. Not mappable to a button.

Trick is to have a key assigned to a "ReTarget" macro, that has 2 steps:

1. Hit your shortcut for "STOP ACTION" in-game (mine's SHIFT S, moved from default "stop spell")
2. Hit your assist key

So, normally, when I'm hammering my dps rotation key (num3) if an add pops, or I'm fighting mobs that spawn adds, I can now simply hit num6 (for convenience). The IsBoxer rotation button is hit 4 times (2 x stop action and 2 x assist just in case) before I move the finger down to the dps spammer key again. This gives a near-instant target swap, regardless of casters being mid-spell or not.
<<

firescue17

Post Sun May 17, 2015 6:32 pm

oldgoat wrote:
firescue17 wrote:

I don't.

Aah! So you can't do Master Sage Lowenn then, or handle unexpected adds very well? I'm getting this to work now (not perfect still, but close) and I can now do him :)

I can handle adds just fine. This is why my dps socials consists of a single action with a possible instant cast AA or clicky:

/stand
/do something

All my characters fit in a 3 to 4 second activation time, except my SHM lynx, and my MAG. MAG activations are stupid long and I don't use the MAG to its full potential (see below).
<<

firescue17

Post Sun May 17, 2015 6:52 pm

oldgoat wrote:SOLVED:

So, in everquest, there is an in-game keyboard shortcut that you can set. It's named "STOP ACTION" and it only exists in the keyboard shortcuts. Not mappable to a button.

Trick is to have a key assigned to a "ReTarget" macro, that has 2 steps:

1. Hit your shortcut for "STOP ACTION" in-game (mine's SHIFT S, moved from default "stop spell")
2. Hit your assist key

So, normally, when I'm hammering my dps rotation key (num3) if an add pops, or I'm fighting mobs that spawn adds, I can now simply hit num6 (for convenience). The IsBoxer rotation button is hit 4 times (2 x stop action and 2 x assist just in case) before I move the finger down to the dps spammer key again. This gives a near-instant target swap, regardless of casters being mid-spell or not.

STOP ACTION doesn't work on socials. The only way to cancel a social is to right click it. So, why use a social?

/stand,
/pause 5, /cast #
/cast #

1) To account for FD. Auto stand doesn't work on FD. FD is just as much, if not, more of a pita than adds are. It's been my experience FD is more common than add mechanics (vs. adds from general mob population), but that's anecdotal and I couldn't *prove* it. Adds you can see. Rarely can one see the FD animation from a secondary screen. Many FD spells do not have an audio trigger.
2) If you're casting directly from the spell bar instead of using a social to account for fizzles, you're losing DPS.That's without question.

The real choice is between add control and DPS. Using short socials, I don't encounter enough mobs where the 1 to 1.5 seconds saved by using Stop Action would be offset by the lost DPS and lost weaving of instant cast AAs and Nukes on *every single mob in the game.*

The perfect solution is to Virtualize /assist while a Character is in Action in order to keep it in queue. It's definitely possible, but I don't have fully working model yet.
<<

oldgoat

Post Mon May 18, 2015 12:52 am

firescue17 wrote:STOP ACTION doesn't work on socials. The only way to cancel a social is to right click it. So, why use a social?

I don't. I mapped it to a keybind. Big difference, and it DOES abort macros, just like the documentation says:
- Added a key binding option to the commands section of the key maps called "Stop Action". This functions as /stopcast, /stopsong, and cancels the most recently-run social (if it's still running).
(From game update, November 15 2011, https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-tuesday-november-15-2011.191115/)

The real choice is between add control and DPS. Using short socials, I don't encounter enough mobs where the 1 to 1.5 seconds saved by using Stop Action would be offset by the lost DPS and lost weaving of instant cast AAs and Nukes on *every single mob in the game.*

Then I challenge you to do Master Sage Lowenn in Argin Hiz. He spawns 2 unmezzable adds every 10%, including 100% and 0%. If you can't abort your chanter's spells to slow them down the instant they spawn, you wipe. And the only way to survive it, is to swap the instant they pop and slow them down -fast.

Code:
The perfect solution is to Virtualize /assist while a Character is in Action in order to keep it in queue. It's definitely possible, but I don't have fully working model yet.

Or to have assist be your #1 priority key, ensuring you can always press it no matter which rotation is going on.

For me, I have this, and it's working nicely.
<<

firescue17

Post Mon May 18, 2015 9:20 pm

oldgoat wrote:- Added a key binding option to the commands section of the key maps called "Stop Action". This functions as /stopcast, /stopsong, and cancels the most recently-run social (if it's still running).
(From game update, November 15 2011, https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-tuesday-november-15-2011.191115/)

This is great information!
Next

Return to EverQuest