FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Adding a windows layout causes eq to not launch

Moderator: MiRai

<<

alderion

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Adding a windows layout causes eq to not launch

When I add a windows layout to my configuration and launch a character set the game just closes.

If I do not use a windows layout I have no issues.

I have two monitors and have tried pretty much every possible layout listed under multi monitor.

What happens is I select the character set. The game (everquest) launches. I have it pointed at the launcher so I don't have to type in a username and password everytime. The launcher launches. I click play. The server select screen appears within the Innerspace overlay. I click play on last server. The window blinks then dissapears. (if I don't do anything it also closes in about 2 seconds) Same thing happens if I try to launch any of the 3 slots individually. I can see the layout is taking affect as they screen is the proper size... it just won't stay open for more than 2 or so seconds.

My Config: http://www.privatepaste.com/c6caa79c8d

I have updated my drivers for the video card to the latest version.

I have a Nvidia GTX680 running on a Intel Core I5 3570K with 16GB of ram.

As I mentioned if I don't use a windows layout everything works fine. I even got it working with one toon running on my wifes computer for those times when she plans on joining me later.

1815 hrs
So if I launch the character set with no window layout then add and apply the layout it works fine. If I then logout and try to log in again using the same characters set I have the above issue. I have to delete the layout push to isboxer then load them.

Thanks for any help.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Adding a windows layout causes eq to not launch

This is going to be more to do with the game than the actual Window Layout. :) (which is why it doesn't matter which style you choose.) Is this with the live version of EQ?

When the game goes from server select to character select, it resets the display and maximizes the game window. These are silly things for the game to do at this point; I believe it's a relic from when they switched graphics engines around many years ago. The game uses one graphics subsystem for the login screen and another for the game, and when it switches over it can get messy.

This is the first time I've heard of it closing down for someone at this point though. Have you checked for a video driver update?

The problem is most likely found in your eqclient.ini file(s), and could potentially be eliminated by deleting all of your eqclient.ini files to restore the original settings. For example, if the game is configured to be in windowed mode this behavior may be different than if it is configured to be in full screen mode.

If none of that helps, then check your EverQuest\Logs folder for dbg.txt and debug.dmp files *immediately following the crash*, which you can e-mail me
<<

alderion

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:58 pm

lax wrote:This is going to be more to do with the game than the actual Window Layout. :) (which is why it doesn't matter which style you choose.) Is this with the live version of EQ?

When the game goes from server select to character select, it resets the display and maximizes the game window. These are silly things for the game to do at this point; I believe it's a relic from when they switched graphics engines around many years ago. The game uses one graphics subsystem for the login screen and another for the game, and when it switches over it can get messy.

This is the first time I've heard of it closing down for someone at this point though. Have you checked for a video driver update?

The problem is most likely found in your eqclient.ini file(s), and could potentially be eliminated by deleting all of your eqclient.ini files to restore the original settings. For example, if the game is configured to be in windowed mode this behavior may be different than if it is configured to be in full screen mode.

If none of that helps, then check your EverQuest\Logs folder for dbg.txt and debug.dmp files *immediately following the crash*, which you can e-mail me

hi there I am using the live version of the game.

I updated the video drivers when I made the previous post.

I deleted the eqclient*.* files and launched one slot it did the same thing.

I have emailed you the two files you mentioned immediately after it crashed.

Thanks for the help.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Okay, turns out it's probably this: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3181
<<

alderion

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:16 pm

That did it!

Thanks and I completely forgot I even run ultramon.

Return to EverQuest