FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Figuring out the basics..

Moderator: MiRai

<<

trustandfall

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Figuring out the basics..

So, I've come here with what I think is a quick question while I am trying to get the basics down.

I'm boxing a 4 character group. 3 melee, 1 caster.

I wanted to be able to toggle when I was controlling just the melee, and when I'm controlling all, or just the caster.

I made 2 action groups, melee and caster. I made a toggle for controlling just the melee. I made it under Key Maps --> Non-Combat --> Melee-Only. The keymap to turn this on/off is Alt+1. When I press Alt+1 it does pop up on the screen and say "Melee Only On" as I told it to. However, I have all screens set to autofollow my warrior by pressing shift+1. What I wanted to happen is that when I have melee only on and press shift+1 only the melee would follow, but the caster is following as well. Am I doing something wrong, or is this type of setup not possible?
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 am

Re: Figuring out the basics..

I think the easiest way to do this is with a single Action Target Group (ATG) - call it whatever you like. It should start out with everyone in your team in it. Then, when you only want to send commands to the 3 melee characters, remove the caster from that ATG using a Target Group Action. Then if you want to add the caster back in use another Target Group Action.

To make follow only apply to the ATG you will need to change the target of your follow Mapped Key from "all other" to something like "others in Melee" (whatever the name of that ATG is). Once you have made the ATG that option should appear in the Target drop down.
<<

trustandfall

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:51 am

Alge, I have a feeling you'll be hearing from me often in the days to come as I have incredibly lofty ambitions in using ISBoxer, and I plan to figure out how to set everything up to do exactly what it is I'm aiming to do with the program, which is to eventually control an entire raid force.. As many screens as me, or my pc's can handle. Hopefully my questions don't start to become bothersome. One thing I would like to recommend for us newer people, and I'm not sure you're the person to even be recommending to, is that ALOT of features in ISBoxer are VERY similarly named.. It's quite confusing to someone new. Kep Maps, variable key strokes, action target groups, target group actions.. Quite overwhelming at first.

I've created the Action Target Group as recommended with all four characters in it. I understand the concept of using a group action to remove the caster from the group, and again to add it back.

The part you lose me on is this: "To make follow only apply to the ATG you will need to change the target of your follow Mapped Key from "all other" to something like "others in Melee" (whatever the name of that ATG is). Once you have made the ATG that option should appear in the Target drop down.". At the moment, I have all 3 slave screens with a custom made macro to /target the leader, and to /follow him. When I press Shift+F1, this happens because Shift+F1 is the command to use that hot bar button for all 3 characters. I was fiddling around with ATG's last night and DID figure out how to add things from a drop down menu for them, but for some reason today I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that again.

I'm not asking for "Hold my hand" instructions, but I am a bit lost with the last sentence of your reply! Thanks so much in advance!!
<<

trustandfall

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am

Alge, I think I've figured this out using the Mapped Key Wizard.

Created a non combat key map, action target group toggler.

Named it Melee-only, set the key to activate it as ctrl+z. Target for the toggle -> the one caster.

Action target group, "my team" (my boxed group).

Popup text 1st press, melee only.

Popup text 2nd press, melee+caster.

Going to test it now, will edit post with the result.

edit: Well I'll be damned, servers are down for maintenance! I think I did it right though. If anything's wrong I think it'll just be the popup text which I can adjust. It may be backward.
<<

Alge

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:06 am

trustandfall wrote:When I press Shift+F1, this happens because Shift+F1 is the command to use that hot bar button for all 3 characters.

I hope that is because you made a Mapped Key to do that when you press Shift+F1 rather than turning Repeater on and pressing Shift+F1. I'm going to proceed on that assumption.

Find that Mapped Key you made. If you made it with the Mapped Key Wizard it will be called Shift+F1 or something similar. If you expand Steps under that Mapped Key and select Step 1 then further to the right you'll see Actions and under that something like "Shift+F1 -> all other" or maybe "Shift+F1 -> all". Select that Action. Then even further to the right you'll see a drop-down labelled Target. If you drop the drop-down down and scroll to the bottom you should see any ATGs you made. You want to select Group (others in):WhateverYouCalledYourATG.

If you then save and export that configuration your follow command will only be sent to the Characters currently in the ATG you made.

Some reading/viewing for you:

http://isboxer.com/wiki/User_Manual and MiRai's video therein
http://isboxer.com/wiki/Mapped_Key and MiRai's video therein
<<

trustandfall

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 am

Alge, I'm going to read over all that documentation you just gave me, but just to respond to the first part of your post... I'm afraid it is because I have repeater on.

There's a post above this one in the forums that I last responded to that can probably shed more light on what it is exactly that I did.

I'm going to take a look at my Mapped Key's now, and see what I can figure out. After that, I'll read take a look at both links. Thanks again.

p.s. Is there an IRC room or chat room for just everquest with ISBoxer?
<<

trustandfall

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:15 am

In Everquest, I'm fairly certain you have to /target someone before you can /follow them. I'm not sure if "/follow Tank1" would work as one command, but all my macro's are setup as a multiline macro.

Line 1- /target tank1
Line 2- /follow tank1

As a result, when I look under steps for the follow key map, there are 2 steps. One to target, one to follow. Do I want the target one to read "My Team"? I'd image I'd want it to just read "Tank1" and that I'd want step two to read "My Team".

Is this correct?
<<

trustandfall

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Well Alge, pretty stumped now..

I have the Melee-only mode setup to what I believe to be is correct.
When I press ctrl z, step 1 shows:

Target: Character slot - Caster
ATG - My Team
"Leave"
Pop-up text "Melee Only"

Step 2: Character slot - Caster
ATG - My Team
"Join"
Pop-up text "Melee+Casters"

I also have a non-combat Follow Hotkey setup, which is Shift+1

Step 1:
Target - Other in: My Team
Key Combination Shift+1

Even when I use the ctrl+z and it's reading melee-only, if I press Shift+1, all characters are still following. Made sure to export of course. Any ideas?

edit: The only thing I can think of is that pressing ctrl+z is causing the caster to leave, then join again almost instantly? Maybe I need separate key maps for each?
<<

Alge

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:39 pm

To save me (or anyone else) from guessing... share your configuration.

Also, a side point, please don't address forum posts to me specifically unless you are prepared to wait until I have time to answer them. There may be times where it will take me 2-3 days to get around to answering due to work/life and probably being in a different time zone to you.
<<

trustandfall

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Sorry about that, I wasn't intending to make you feel like I was requesting your help personally at this point, I was more so addressing you as a response.

Also, take your time. I understand your help is volunteered, and I do not expect help. I just appreciate it.

After talking to some people in IRC, I've just about nailed out the issue.

Everything seems to be working almost perfectly, however... Now, when I press ctrl+z to tell Rhyagelle the caster to leave the party, all other characters DO follow as intended, which is wonderful.

Unfortunately when I press it again to have her join, then issue the follow command again, she is not. It's like she's not re-joining the ATG with the second push of ctrl+z.

Here's a link to my configuration, and thanks for all your help. http://privatepaste.com/c104c62ce2

Edit: Figured it out!! Silly user error, kept me guessing all day but I finally figured it out! System is working as intended. :)

Return to EverQuest