FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Launching EQ via Innerspace and Nvidia Optimus configuration

Moderator: MiRai

<<

txcanyon

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Launching EQ via Innerspace and Nvidia Optimus configuration

So my brand new fancy laptop has a Nvidia GT 650M in it which runs eq far and away faster than my desktops ATi HD5850. My problem is that the new laptop has a Intel HD4000 and a discreet Nvidia mentioned above. Well the driver switches to discreet when it detects a program running so that it runs without issue. EQ by itself runs as expected. However, when launched to innerspace, the driver does not detect the game and so it runs on the HD4000 (which by the way runs it pretty well too), so trying to box 2 chars via onboard does not work so well over time.

Innerspace still launches the same exact eqgame.exe as does playing through launchpad, but it must be launching it in a way that the driver cannot detect. Has anybody else delt with this before? I can make the system run innerspace on the 650m, but it doesnt change the outcome. Is there anyway to prelaunch the game via a shortcut and then tie the 2 instances together?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:16 am

Re: Launching EQ via Innerspace and Nvidia Optimus configuration

Have you checked for NVIDIA driver updates, etc? That's the first thing I would check for in this case.

I am familiar with the NVIDIA CoProcManager ("Optimus" tech) and I've had to fix bugs with it and IS with other games (mostly WoW). It should "detect" the game just fine, as this software (CoProcManager) actually gets loaded from inside the game, when it starts up DirectX.

I'm not sure why it would be unable to detect the game exactly, but I assume from your description that you're using the application-specific setting to tell it to pick the NVIDIA GPU for EverQuest. It's possible that you have more than one EverQuest installation and only one of them is assigned? Worst case, try changing the Global setting instead of the Application-specific setting. I believe setting your Windows Power Profile to High Performance should also affect how this operates, so if your Power Profile is NOT set to High Performance, try that first.

You cannot pre-launch the game outside of Inner Space, you must launch it through Inner Space.
<<

txcanyon

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Global use of the 650M GT does not do anything other than detect the usae of programs on the list. I can add innerspace.exe (since this is the shortcut that launches everything), and it will run the innerspace window on the 650, but the child processes Character sets are not loaded with the 650.. I can use GPU-Z to see usage of either the intel and 650, and not matter what all windows are run under the HD4000.. :(

Should I try something like win-eq?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Here's a hopeful thought...

ISBoxer is using the display name (e.g. \\.\DISPLAY1\) in order to have Inner Space pick the display and therefore GPU. It may be using the Intel adapter because your Window Layout was generated for the Intel adapter's display name instead of the NVIDIA adapter's display name. (If it even works this way, I don't really know... but it would make sense.)

Try setting ISBoxer Toolkit.exe to use the NVIDIA adapter, then re-generate your Window Layout. Maybe that will force it to show a different display name in your Window Layout, and therefore assign the correct GPU when you launch the game?
<<

txcanyon

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:28 pm

No luck :( Launching the toolkit with it added to the 650M list, I guess that since it doesnt spawn an overlay it is not run under the discreet video card.

Is there anyyway to manipulate the xml file for running via innerspace? I think the video driver expects eqgame to be in \everquest\ and since your software launches it via some other means, it is not detected..
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 am

Is there anyyway to manipulate the xml file for running via innerspace?

Yes, but ... what exactly do you want to change in it?

I think the video driver expects eqgame to be in \everquest\ and since your software launches it via some other means, it is not detected..

The only difference between IS launching it and you launching it yourself, is that you're likely using the SOE launcher and Inner Space is running the eqgame.exe directly. This is no different than how WinEQ 2 launches EQ1 (and EQWindows for that matter).

If you have multiple EverQuest folders, then the Multiple game folders page can help you use the right one(s). For example, it's possible you have one under \everquest\, and one under the new install path c:\users\public\sony online entertainment\installed games\everquest.

Return to EverQuest