FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Screen sticking when switching problem

Moderator: MiRai

<<

everquestman

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Screen sticking when switching problem

Trying to describe this the best i can.

I have used ISBoxer for over a year now on EQ but since the last ISBoxer update now when i oplay my screen will stick. What i mean by this is say im on my main toon sometimes not all the time if i switch to another toon to move them in the heat of battle or to cast a non bound key sometimes the screen will stick on that toon not allowing me to switch to any other toon by any means. I can press the hotkey or manual mouse click on another screen and it will just flash the screen im on. Sometimes it will correct after a few minutes and i can go back to normal or have to right click and reload all my boxes with refreshes them. Its very annoying and by the time i solve the problem im dead. Any one else experiencing this problem and know a solution?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Screen sticking when switching problem

Well, I have an answer for you but I can't promise that you'll leave any better off than you came, as it's probably not directly related to ISBoxer.

What is happening is that Windows is blocking the foreground switching on behalf of some program. To solve the problem you must discover what program that is, and eliminate the reason why it is doing it. If you're lucky that means just switching to each program that's up and making sure it doesn't have a context menu or something open, or a reboot. If you're unlucky that means closing some programs until you figure out which one is breaking something ;) (all the way down to any keyboard/mouse configuration software that runs, like Logitech SetPoint, Razer Configuration software, Steel Series Engine, etc)

Microsoft has documented this behavior and the possible causes like so: (Source)
The system restricts which processes can set the foreground window. A process can set the foreground window only if one of the following conditions is true:

The process is the foreground process.
The process was started by the foreground process.
The process received the last input event.
There is no foreground process.
The foreground process is being debugged.
The foreground is not locked (see LockSetForegroundWindow).
The foreground lock time-out has expired (see SPI_GETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT in SystemParametersInfo).
No menus are active.

An application cannot force a window to the foreground while the user is working with another window. Instead, Windows flashes the taskbar button of the window to notify the user.

Lastly, there's a diagnostics option in ISBoxer that could help provide clues as to the program causing the behavior (but perhaps not). In the Help menu, select "Diagnostics for game crashes" and, although you're not crashing exactly, follow the instructions to "Copy" these diagnostics for eqgame.exe. You can Paste the diagnostics back to me either directly in a post, or use privatepaste.com and give me the URL or Paste ID.

Return to EverQuest