FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Frame rate issue with window layout

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Yenil

Post Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:11 pm

Frame rate issue with window layout

I just upgraded from a Nvidia 1050Ti to 4060Ti OC and I’m having a frame rate issue. Testing with a single client I get 60fps if no other PCs are around and this drops to 30 or less when I’m around a full raid. On the 1050 I would at least be over 40 with all models on around a full raid and running 18 clients on the same computer. If I drop the window layout for the character set I get over 200 FPS.

Are there any know issues with window layouts causing issues like this?

Thanks
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:50 pm

Re: Frame rate issue with window layout

Yes, indeed there are known issues with Window Layouts and changing graphics cards, monitors, or even just replugging your monitor into a different output port on the graphics card.

A Window Layout in ISBoxer contains a device reference. the \\.\DISPLAYx where x == a number.
This is an internal reference of Windows that identifies a specific monitor and/or its current connection to the system.
If you change certain things (a few of which are outlined above), then this reference can change, and if it is wrong, it can cause much FPS issues (so much so, it is mentioned in the WIKI https://isboxer.com/wiki/HOWTO:Tweak_your_framerate#Recent_Hardware_or_Driver_changes).

So, when changing things, like the above, or moving the profile to a new computer (or reinstalling Windows and using an old profile), it is recommended to create a NEW Window Layout - this means not choosing (existing) in the Window Layout Wizard.

For those technically inclined, yes, you can get the new DISPLAY refs (a new Window Layout is a good way to get these), map from the old numbers to the new, and edit the profile XML in your favourite editor.

Return to EverQuest