FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Expectation of screen scaling going forward

Moderator: MiRai

<<

soulbanshee

Post Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:23 pm

Expectation of screen scaling going forward

What is the expectation for Inner Space to scale the game window starting 1.19? I see there are a number of changes in play regarding EverQuest specific fixes for scaling and DPI awareness, so I reverted to 1.18 (6837) while those are still being worked on (with much fiddling and chagrin trying to restore the right resolution/scaling).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10960
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10954

Up until 1.19 (6901) my configuration has worked for me. My display is set to 3840x2160 with 150% scaling so I can play fullscreen games at 4k but also see icons/text on the desktop. In 6837, my ISB window layout is set to 2560x1440 along with the in-game resolution which scales to fill the monitor as expected.

When 6901 hit, the right-click menu for Inner Space was scaled down so the text was scrunched up. When I launched the game, even though my window layout was still set to 2560x1440, the in-game resolution was resized to something just under 4k (I did not write down the resolution). I think I may have then tried to fix the in-game resolution, but at this point I cannot remember if I did but it wasn't fixed if so.

https://isboxer.com/wiki/FAQ#My_game_wi ... in_ISBoxer
Based off that FAQ, I set the high DPI override to System for ISB and Inner Space (including x64) for all users. That fixed the right-click menu, but the game at 2560x1440 was not scaling up to the monitor size with window layout at 2560x1440. Reconfiguring window layout for 3840x2160 and game resolution to 2560x1440 only made the surrounding viewport scale up, the game was still rendering at "native" 2650x1440 non-scaled. I also attempted to set eqgame high DPI override to System but did not fix the scaling.

Is EQ resolution still under development/troubleshooting in version 1.19 or what have I missed in the configuration to maintain my settings from 1.18?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: Expectation of screen scaling going forward

soulbanshee wrote:https://isboxer.com/wiki/FAQ#My_game_windows_don.27t_go_where_I_told_them_to.2C_or_are_not_sized_as_I_set_up_in_ISBoxer
Based off that FAQ
That FAQ entry was written prior to Inner Space being DPI aware. It doesn't apply to Inner Space builds after 6887 in the same manner as written; unless you happen to be going with the suggestion to change your Windows Display settings to output at 2560x1440, run at Scaling of 100% and then you get the behaviour desired out of Windows and the game, plus the added benefit of other DPI aware apps NOT rendering at 4K and downscaling for your viewing pleasure i.e. they all render at 2560x1440 so you get less fan noise and more GPU frames, and leaving the monitor to upscale back to fill the screen (this is basically old school DPI scaling).

Otherwise, the dev build moves on and 6909 has an option to turn off the DPI awareness by setting a Pre-Startup command.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:28 pm

There's additional fixes for EQ1 windowing/resolution issues, as well as the context menu, in the development build (currently build 6910)
<<

soulbanshee

Post Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:50 pm

lax wrote:There's additional fixes for EQ1 windowing/resolution issues, as well as the context menu, in the development build (currently build 6910)

The EQ windowing/resolution looks good in 6910. Funnily enough, the context menu now renders too large with Windows screen scaling active.

I ended up applying high DPI override as System on both Inner Space executables, and using the pre-startup DisableDPIAwareness, because I want the console and the game scaled up. That puts me back how I want to use it and works for me.
<<

eqplayer

Post Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:24 am

Were can i find the Pre-Startup Sequence? I disabled DPI awareness long time ago and what to remove it as im having troubles that may be related. I cant find it in the configuration.

Return to EverQuest