FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DBG - What constitutes cheating

Moderator: MiRai

<<

rogues

Post Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:47 pm

DBG - What constitutes cheating

First time poster. From the Daybreak EQ forums, they posted yesterday about "What Constitutes Cheating". It's very broad.

The first paragraph says:
Code:
This question has obviously been a hot topic lately with many wondering just what does constitute as cheating. Elaborating on our Knowledge Base article here, let's talk about third party cheating software. We do not allow the use of any third party programs that modify the game client or its memory data. Additionally, programs that automate movement or actions in the game are not allowed. Software that assists in allowing a few or less people to monopolize an area is not allowed. Using these types of programs will result in a suspension or a ban. Know that this is not a complete list of functionalities that can cause actions to be taken against your account and other accounts associated with it.

"Software that assists in allowing a few or less people to monopolize an area is not allowed"

The way I interpret that. they are basically saying any software that allows one person to run multiple toons to camp a spot is cheating. I know in the past DBG has said sanctioned ISBoxer, but does this change anything?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Re: DBG - What constitutes cheating

I have no idea what they mean by that, specifically. Don't they have a server set up for multiboxers? I'm not sure they mean to say that multiboxing software in general is not allowed.

However, it is quite clear that they are prohibiting programs that rhyme with "hackroquest".

As far as ISBoxer, WinEQ 2022 etc, as far as we know nothing has changed and there is nothing in the post to really say otherwise. It may very well be that they intend to limit ISBoxer due to key broadcasting and such, but not WinEQ 2022 as it has no such features.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:49 pm

rogues wrote:"Software that assists in allowing a few or less people to monopolize an area is not allowed"

The way I interpret that. they are basically saying any software that allows one person to run multiple toons to camp a spot is cheating. I know in the past DBG has said sanctioned ISBoxer, but does this change anything?

My interpretation is along the lines of:
We really don't like those who end up with massive teams like they did in other games where some people ended up with 100+ toons killing all and sundry, while in the bath with their wireless keyboard, so they could press a key and claim to be "present".

Presumably even for a multiboxer, there is a "standard" team/group/party size, which, IMO is usually the basic group size of the game. For EQ1 I'd put this at 6. Yes it means some activities would then require other players to complete that 72man content!. <shock>
Usually the game is designed to minimize being able to monopolize a PvE area using the basic group size.

In PvP the basic group size of most MMO's can usually be overcome by a few clever uni-boxers. Mass multiboxing groups are much harder for uni-boxers to match it. Mainly the co-ordination required is what gets in the way, along with the desire of self preservation for your own toon, that a mass multiboxer just doesn't have for one of their group.
<<

rogues

Post Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:52 pm

I think it's intentionally broad and ambiguous, but in principle I agree with your take, bob. The way they've worded it they're giving themselves the latitude to go after anybody six-boxing a camp if a few players complain, but are more likely to respond if somebody were 24-boxing that same camp and affecting a wider radius. Where they'll ultimately draw the line is likely to be pretty arbitrary and variable.
<<

fleqfan

Post Thu May 05, 2022 7:55 am

I just got a suspension on one of my six accounts and all I have been using on live is ISBoxer. They said it was for using 3rd party restricted software and ISB is the only 3rd party software I use on live.

I am not 100% convinced though that it was ISB use that got the character a suspension.

I have in the past used MQ2 on a couple EMULATION servers that allow it and I noticed that the chat service for it automatically loads as a service when my system starts. (EQBCS.exe)

I sent a petition to Daybreak as follows hoping they will clarify how the suspension arose.

Request #1081591
Subject:
Only have been using ISBOXer
Today at 08:32
Details:
From what I understand ISBoxer is allowed on live servers. I have not used ANYTHING but ISBoxer on live servers. I have used MacroQuest on an Emulated server called Project Lazarus and while I never have MQ loaded when I load into EQ I did notice that a chat service, EQBCS was loaded into memory as a service when the computer restarts. That program however cannot do anything without MQ.EXE loaded. I feel if that is what triggered your detection then it is a false flag. If ISBoxer is now no longer allowed then please let everyone know that.

I will post here what they respond to if anything. They might just have their canned response of they cannot divulge any information.
<<

fleqfan

Post Fri May 06, 2022 10:06 am

Well the response is like I thought it would be. I asked them to please let me know if it was ISBoxer that got me suspended but I doubt they will address it.

Greetings,

After reviewing your case it appears the account in question has been suspended for 14 days for use of restricted third party software. We do not disclose our findings in these cases as doing so could enable 3rd parties to better circumvent detection, however we are confident the account was not suspended in error.

Please take care to abide by our policies when the suspension has lifted, as additional violations of this nature may result in further account action.

What is considered cheating?
What are the EverQuest Rules of Conduct?
Sincerely,
<<

Korwiin

Post Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:06 pm

• We do not allow the use of any third party programs that modify the game client or its memory data.
  • Additionally, programs that automate movement or actions in the game are not allowed.
  • Software that assists in allowing a few or less people to monopolize an area is not allowed.

That last one could be interpreted as a "No Jerks Allowed" policy. If you use a 3rd party tool to be a jerk, and people complain about you, then your actions put you at risk (not necessarily the fault of the tool). Always be courteous and polite, no drama please!
<<

fleqfan

Post Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:19 pm

Korwiin wrote:
  • We do not allow the use of any third party programs that modify the game client or its memory data.
  • Additionally, programs that automate movement or actions in the game are not allowed.
  • Software that assists in allowing a few or less people to monopolize an area is not allowed.

That last one could be interpreted as a "No Jerks Allowed" policy. If you use a 3rd party tool to be a jerk, and people complain about you, then your actions put you at risk (not necessarily the fault of the tool). Always be courteous and polite, no drama please!

Exactly! I have been using ISB since May and have not gotten any suspensions since I made sure EMU software was always unloaded first before running.

Return to EverQuest