FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Returning after a few years, couple issues...

Moderator: MiRai

<<

tatanka7th

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:55 pm

Returning after a few years, couple issues...

Hey all, I'm back. Re-upped ISB last night, and I'm having some issues, maybe you can help:

1 - Logging in. I fire up my 3 boxes, same as I always used to. First account logs in, no issues. The other two get as far as the server select screen, and then it's nothing but the "servers are busy, try later" popup. Any idea why that is? If I leave ISB and log those accounts in the normal way, there are no issues at all.

2 - Screens not lined up. I had this issue last time, and didn't write down what I did to fix it. I know it has something to do with the virtual config files. I think maybe something with fullscreen/windowed mode.

3 - How do I get access to my Windows task bar? When I was having trouble logging in, I bailed on two of the sessions, but couldn't bring them back up, because I couldn't get to the windows task bar. The one session still open was full screen, and I couldn't get it to minimize.

The next question is unrelated, and isn't an issue, I'm just trying to figure out how it will work:
I have three boxes I play, and have been leveling 3 others on three other accounts. If I make a character set for the new threesome, can all six be used together in ISB, or do I need a completely new char set with all six chars in it?

Thanks!
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:16 am

Re: Returning after a few years, couple issues...

1. It is an oddity with EQ. Sometimes you need to have the characters load the launcher rather than go direct to the client launch. I imagine if you use the same login method outside of InnerSpace you will end up with the same issue on each account. If you do not, then the only thing that will be different is something in one of either the EQCLIENT-CHARNAME.ini files or eqlsplayerdata-CHARNAME.ini files.

2. Usually this is a case of setting the applicable resolution. Yes, Windowed Mode is preferred. The resolution should be whatever your main (large) region is in the Window Layout being used. You may need to go do far as editing the specific eqclient-charname.ini file to force set the values. Sometimes it just takes launching, setting, exiting and relaunching EQ a few times under the Character Set.

• WIN+D
  • CTRL+ESC
  • in the Window Layout resize or use the Wizard so it avoids the taskbar
  • Unset the Always On Top for the large region.
A few options.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:47 pm

1 - Especially strange, since this is the same PC and same install which I used last to run ISB. Had no issues then.

I tried what you said, and loaded the other accounts with "patchme" standalone (not using ISB) and they loaded fine. After trying all those, then tried it with ISB again. Same problem, and again, only on accounts 2 & 3. I even tried, when in ISB, to log in the bad accounts first, thinking maybe the 1st one I tried worked. Nope, 2 & 3 failed, account 1 always works.

So, if I go with using the launcher, but through ISB, can I still load all at once, like it does without the launcher? I know that when I try launching the launcher manually, I can only have it up for one account at a time (I have one EQ install, shared among all accounts)

2 - What's strange is, all three eqclient-charname.ini files show the same thing for all the resolutions, fullscreen, etc. So it's strange that they don't align.

I also have a question regarding UI setup. When saving UI settings, the game saves them under the resolution used (one for each resolution) and also another one for "windowed". When I used ISB last, it uses the "windowed" setting, correct? But still uses the whole screen (no taskbar), correct? So, when I save that UI setting, is it saving it to "windowed" or to the resolution I'm at?

Thanks
<<

bob

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 pm

1. I'm sure the game has updated in that time. We're not sure why, but some people just get some weird oddities with the EQ login under some circumstances. ISBoxer is not doing anything that should cause this. It does zilch with any network communications that the game has with the game server. As stated the only difference is that it does redirect a couple of ini files to per character copies. If there is a problem is will usually be in those files.

2. The game will use the settings it is set to. IIRC there is a specific setting to switch between Windowed/Fullscreen. The resolution settings are then updated along with that. If you have Display Scaling enabled, or some application compatibility settings in play, then it might cause some unexpected behaviours. Same with using a TV as a monitor. Its one of those fiddle until it clicks into place things.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:27 pm

I'm in the process of changing the launch process for my boxes (still addressing item #1, since nothing else matters if I can't login! ;)

I finally found where I need to change the login process for each char, and there are 4 options, where I was only expecting 2:

1 - Everquest Default Profile
2 - Everquest No Patch
3 - Everquest Launcher
4 - Everquest Client

I was expecting #2 & #3. What do items 1 and 4 represent?

Also, if this is somewhere semi-obvious I should be finding docs for myself, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks
<<

tatanka7th

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:37 pm

Well, this is very dis-heartening....

I changed it to load the chars using the launcher. I see now how it works now, you launch one, then another launcher comes up, etc. No issues there.

The problem is still that accounts 2 & 3 can't get past the server select screen. Same issue, servers busy try again later.

So, what's the next thing to try?
<<

tatanka7th

Post Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:52 am

I did a diff on the eqclient and eqlsPlayerData files for account 1 vs. accounts 2 & 3, and there are no differences. They are exactly the same.

Any ideas what the next thing to try would be?
<<

bob

Post Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Not particularly. as already stated, there is nothing in ISBoxer that shoudl have any impact on this.

I would normally just go down the path of remove the eqclient and eqlsplayerdata files for the affected characters, relaunch, and let them be recreated (if they are not, then there is something wrong and it provides the next clue).
<<

tatanka7th

Post Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:01 pm

Well, you wouldn't believe what worked. Posting here for posterity, in case anyone else ever has the same issue:

Per a friendly replier on the EQ forums, the issue is very simple: When you get to the server select screen, if you see this issue, STOP using the shortcut button (the one which shows your most recent server selection). Instead use the button above it, which is just the play button. That button requires you to select you server from the list first. However, it starts by pointing to the last server you used. So, if you're like me, those buttons are identical, because I only ever log into just one server.

So, that's it. I used the regular play button instead of the server shortcut button (which I always usually use), and that worked. I then went into the account configs in ISB, and changed them all back to "nopatch", and it still worked. So that's the resolution, as silly and simple as it is.

Thanks, bob, for your help. And now that I can actually play using ISB, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions! ;)
<<

tatanka7th

Post Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:22 pm

I never did post about getting the screens lines up.

When you first get to the EULA screen, alt-enter to fix the alignment. That's it.

Have had an issue with it not saving, and having to do that again. But at least I can get them aligned.

Return to EverQuest