Post Thu Oct 17, 2024 1:50 pm

Failing to select CPU cores

Recently created new characters and character sets to play on Everquest Beta.

First time I've created something new in the ISBoxer Toolkit in years.

My wife is playing one character and I'm playing a different character. Obviously I loaded the xml file on each machine and then exported it to that specific Innerspace instance. I also created the new EQBeta game in Innerspace and just matched it up to my existing Everquest settings.

All seems well until we actually used it on Tuesday night. My instance of Everquest was working perfectly. But my wife's machine was stuttering badly. I had actually copied and renamed our virtual eqclient.ini files from our normal Everquest folder, which should have meant that our Beta configuration was exactly the same as our normal Live Everquest settings.

TLDR... when I created the characters in ISBoxer I had not bothered to adjust the Performance settings for CPU cores. I use an AMD Ryzen 9 Cpu and she uses a Core I9-9900! My machine worked fine without selecting individual CPU cores, but once I selected specific cores on her CPU then all the stuttering ceased. Just FYI, I did not bother to run the CPU Strategy Wizard for either characters or sets.

I guess I made an assumption that failing to select any cores would just leave it up to the OS! I went back and selected cores 3 through 16 and her machine is working fine. Did the same to my machine just as a precaution. So nothing is broken, just wanted to pass this on in case you all find it interesting. Somewhere, years ago, I thought I had read that selecting zero cores in the ISBoxer Toolkit would be the same as selecting ALL cores.

PS, My Ryzen machine is on Win11 and her Intel machine is on Win10 yet.