Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Switching in new characters

When you want to swap in an alt for one of the characters you are currently playing, how do you normally do it?

For example, I might have an alt wizard bound someplace useful. Camp to the alt, port the group, drop a fire, back to the main character and use the fire to catch up. Similarly I might want to swap in a shaman for some tank buffs.

I could just do it and not tell ISBoxer about the change: camp to character select and pick the new character.

That would probably be ok for these transient scenarios. But if I want to actually play that alt, this isn't good. Since ISBoxer thinks the old character is still there, it has the wrong window label and will update the wrong virtual files. And of course any character-specific actions are wrong.

So. How would experienced users do this?

I have the impression that the answer is to define separate character sets for every configuration you might want to play, even for such a small switch as the above example.

That makes sense for many of those I see posting here. Their character sets are carefully designed to accomplish particular purposes: raiding, farming, etc. And it is reasonable to put a fair amount of work into such groupings.

But my boxing play tends to be casual and varied, often with no set group makeup or purpose. I play 8 or more accounts, several with a few alts on the same account, any of which may be loaded in various combinations on any or all of 3 or 4 machines with differing capabilities. The number of possible combinations is huge, and it seems overwhelming to plan out all the ones I might want.

I want to have my cake and eat it too... get the benefits of ISBoxer while retaining the casual freedom to mix and match characters on a whim.

Am I missing some tricks that might make it simpler?