FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ISB2 Alpha Feedback

Moderator: MiRai

<<

vecter

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:59 pm

ISB2 Alpha Feedback

Most of the initial bugs fixed in latest release. Here are some more! Understand that I realize certain things are not implemented but posting for completeness.

1. IS5 does not launch in correct window size. IS1-IS4 open as small windows (size set at 640x270) I am assuming that IS5 is opening at the main window size (currently set as 2560x1080) but the window is going full screen (2560x1440). Even switching windows does not cause IS5 to resize.

2. Edit window is not positioned like other popup windows on open.

3. Unable to press F1-F12 keys for hotkeys. Have to type in "F1" etc. Same goes for any mod + key.

4. Suggest having confirm box for deleting teams.

5. Clicking lock checkbox for Launch Profile does not save selected option for subsequent characters. This seems to impact characters that have been used in prior profiles.

6. Unable to resize top browser window section in main UI and no vertical scrollbars for HTML content.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Re: ISB2 Alpha Feedback

I'm just going to hang off this thread rather than make loads of them. I've only nosed through the global settings pages, and been through the wizard so far, and you probably already know lots of these, but this was my notes.

Global Settings:
Global settings window opens (modal) about 50x50 from top left of primary monitor. It would be better if it opened over the main window.
1. I don't always run ISBoxer on my primary monitor (err games are there) and
2. It is modal, so needs to overlie/hide the main screen because you have to deal with it first, not appear way to the left, or on a completely different monitor.

The Global Settings should open big enough for all forms to display fully too (although it may need to check to make sure it is not wider than the current display), e.g. the Create New Computer needs to be expanded to see all the fields.
Computer settings:
I can set multiple IsPrimary for a monitor.

General:
Hotkey Picker doesn't work.
No validation on Hotkeys or Key Combinations so you can set dumb things you can't press.
Tickbox fade in/out is irritating. Pretty, but either much faster or not at all.

Select your Characters:
What does the Duplicate Character button do in the Character Information?.
I can setup two characters with the same values in the same Team. It should force uniqueness somewhere.
The "Gray is optional" text is not noticeably different (to me). I looked at it and figured the fields were disabled because that is like the disabled text setup. The "standard" form these days is usually to flag mandatory fields with a little red * next to them. You don't have to conform I know, but just saying it was like, oh man I really have to find that stuff?

Configure Module: Party.
I cant set a key for the Follow Target, Assist Target, IWT using the hot key picker.
I think the delination between game key bindings and hotkeys is not clear. I can't decide upon bigger writing, different pages, not changing the order of the hotkeys/game bindings, not providing "In game macros come from" (I mean if you've already selected the WOW Addon module, then just assume they come from there already).
I can set dumb values in the Game Key Bindings text boxes, like Aaaaassddw.
If I select Slot-order Party List, hit next, and then go back, I get the default for the "Select a party mode" drop down. This does correctly select any In Game macros come from option I had selected though before I changed to the Slot-Order option, so it looks like it is just not saving the Select Party Mode selection state correctly.
I reckon the radio buttons for the "In-game macros come from" are pretty much defunct and not needed - the different options can just be assumed by previous selections in the Wizard and the "Select a Party Mode" drop down.
e.g. If I select WOW as the game, I shouldn't be able to choose Cryptic Studios or Rift user created macros for the source of the macros as they belong to specific other known games. If I select the WOW Addon as a module, then the macros should just go in the WOW Addon, if I unselect the WOW Addon, but select the In Game Macro based Party List, then the macros will need to be User created, easy peasy.

Configure Module: Standard MMO Combat
The tick boxes really need the mouse to go back to a normal pointer in the grid. The fat plus sign makes it hard to see whether the tick has appeared. The slow fade in of the tick doesn't help either, and if I could just click anywhere in the grid box itself to tick it, that would be even easier. The first click to select the grid box, the second to tick it, unless clicking directly over the little tick box, when only a single click would be needed.
I can set dumb hotkeys that I could never press, like "hhsd" KeyCombo suffers from the same issue.

Configure Module: Window Switching.
If I click on the * to add a new record it crashes with System.InvalidOperationException. probably because I'm adding a new record where one is not expected.

Configure Module: Window Layout
The Use Screen dropdown is rather small and can't be read.
Cant drag/drop Regions to other displays
Cant read all the info on the regions. Needs wordwrap/newlines/tooltips/something.
Leave room for Windows Taskbar only works on display that currently has the taskbar. If thats the case, then it should be disabled when configuring regions on a display which doesn't have the taskbar.
Using a Edge layout style, 3D rendering box shows 0,0 even though the game will be rendered at main window size (the sync game resolutions option was ticked). 3D rendering box was not disabled either.
The Reverse lineup direction tick box did not move the home slots all the way to the right (using the Bottom preferred edge) when using a custom "small window size" that was not a matching ratio to the main window.
When setting a custom small window size, the main window does not keep ratio when not specifying a custom main window size.
Can set the Default Active Slot to a non existing slot number.

Using a Full screen stacked style, 3D rendering box does not have the sync to main region tickbox, and the 3d render size shows 0,0. This is confusing.

What is the behaviour difference with Windows-focused window and ISBoxer-focused window?
Multiple Active Region does what? I read the tool tip, but it doesn't leave me much wiser?

Tiled option has a full screen panel? Based on the other settings I assume this is the default render size (Reset Region), but as the other options don't show a different region when setting a custom 3d render size, I'm not sure.

The Swapping Bahaviour options/defaults don't seem to be suitable in all cases.

CPU Strategy:
I can set CPU's that dont exist, like 22.

Finish:
When you hit Finish, it doesn't save your profile. In ISB1 you could save at pretty much any point if it was valid (sometimes you had to finish certain config items). Save on Exit seems to be the only option now. That would be a major change to the workflow of load team, edit profile, save, export, check in game result, edit profile, save, export, check in game result, etc. If you get a crash after hitting Launch, or when you hit Edit after creating your new fancy profile, then it's gone, boom, start over.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 am

3. Unable to press F1-F12 keys for hotkeys. Have to type in "F1" etc. Same goes for any mod + key.

Confirming that Hotkey Picker controls are not fully functional at the moment :)

5. Clicking lock checkbox for Launch Profile does not save selected option for subsequent characters. This seems to impact characters that have been used in prior profiles.

Correct, currently the locks only affect Characters that are being created at the time. Any bolded character in the list already exists and is assumed to already have correct values for those items. Maybe I can make it turn the boxes red or something when this occurs.

Global settings window opens (modal) about 50x50 from top left of primary monitor.

The windows are pretty much all configured to CenterOwner, but may be missing the code to attach to the parent window for centering. I'll get these corrected, let me know of any others you guys notice.

No validation on Hotkeys or Key Combinations so you can set dumb things you can't press

ISBoxer 1 doesn't validate this either actually. The only difference is that ISB1 won't let you type in modifiers. Part of the reason for allowing this is to not destroy non-standard button information, for example I plug in my G13 and assign G13-G1, G13-G2, G13-G3 and so on, pull my profile and take it to my PC that has a logitech G510 and no G13. Now there is no G13-G1, so if validation occurs this must be destroyed and would no longer work for my G13. Or you paste in someone else's profile, you don't have their input devices, and then you can't view their keys because you don't have the same buttons. I'll probably do minimal validation for Hotkeys; Game Key Bindings can be validated more aggressively.

Tickbox fade in/out is irritating. Pretty, but either much faster or not at all.

I don't think I've specifically added any fading, this might be related to your Windows Theme. Either way I'm not certain what you're describing as "tickbox fade in/out" -- do you mean the whole popup when you click the "..." on a key picker?

After you click Add Character on a detected Character, that Character cannot be added a second time and "Add to Team" is grayed out. Adjusting any of the boxes at this time will adjust the Character that was just added, just as if you click it in the list at the bottom instead of the detected/existing list. So you add a toon, and now you want to add a similar toon manually by typing in the name box, but you don't want it to edit the Character you selected, you want a new one. Click Duplicate Character, the Add Team button becomes available and typing in any of the boxes updates a separate Character.

The "standard" form these days is usually to flag mandatory fields with a little red * next to them.

Yeah that is a fair point. I'll see what I can do.

not changing the order of the hotkeys/game bindings

They're in the same order already...? "Target Me" appears above IWT but IWT won't even show up for most games

I reckon the radio buttons for the "In-game macros come from" are pretty much defunct and not needed - the different options can just be assumed by previous selections in the Wizard and the "Select a Party Mode" drop down.
e.g. If I select WOW as the game, I shouldn't be able to choose Cryptic Studios or Rift user created macros for the source of the macros as they belong to specific other known games. If I select the WOW Addon as a module, then the macros should just go in the WOW Addon, if I unselect the WOW Addon, but select the In Game Macro based Party List, then the macros will need to be User created, easy peasy.

I can't make that assumption for the WoW Addon -- a user may want to create their own follow/assist WoW Macros using the WoW Addon, and this may be the case for the other games as well. I can change this to a check box user-created vs ISBoxer 2-generated. It's rendering out an enum at the moment, and can't filter based on the selected game, so that's why you see the totally unnecessary extra info at the moment. I think a check box will work just fine though.

The tick boxes really need the mouse to go back to a normal pointer in the grid. The fat plus sign makes it hard to see whether the tick has appeared. The slow fade in of the tick doesn't help either, and if I could just click anywhere in the grid box itself to tick it, that would be even easier. The first click to select the grid box, the second to tick it, unless clicking directly over the little tick box, when only a single click would be needed.

Yeah I've been making a ton of changes to the data grid behaviors (https://github.com/LavishSoftware/PropertyTools). I just recently fixed a bug where clicking on a row or column header would copy the previously selected cell's contents to the row or column... ugh. ;) The fade in again sounds like a Windows Theme thing, I'm pretty sure I don't see the same thing here; I might have to override the theme or something to take care of that. I will see what I can do about the cursor and clicking behaviors.

If I click on the * to add a new record it crashes with System.InvalidOperationException. probably because I'm adding a new record where one is not expected.

Correct, it was missing a flag to deny that. Let me know any other cases you find ;)

Cant drag/drop Regions to other displays

The only way to drag is to select User-defined Window Layout. Is this what you did before attempting to drag? .. on second thought it appears the drag click is going through to the window itself and moving the window instead of the region, at least within the Team Editor.

Leave room for Windows Taskbar only works on display that currently has the taskbar. If thats the case, then it should be disabled when configuring regions on a display which doesn't have the taskbar.

Technically it's a misnomer, what it actually does is tells ISBoxer 2 to use the screen's defined "Working Area" -- which happens to be the screen minus the taskbar in all but rare cases. You can adjust that within the settings for the display region. I could disable it for regions where the screen's "Working Area" is identical to the screen area though...

Using a Edge layout style, 3D rendering box shows 0,0 even though the game will be rendered at main window size (the sync game resolutions option was ticked). 3D rendering box was not disabled either.

Small window size, Main window size, and Game resolution all show 0,0 to start with, which is basically an auto-fill condition. It's not going to literally use 0,0 for any of the 3. I'll change the control for this

The Reverse lineup direction tick box did not move the home slots all the way to the right (using the Bottom preferred edge) when using a custom "small window size" that was not a matching ratio to the main window.

Hmmm it's dropping them off the edge of the screen for me even without customizing settings.

Using a Full screen stacked style, 3D rendering box does not have the sync to main region tickbox, and the 3d render size shows 0,0. This is confusing.

The different styles do have different options. There is no need for a sync box for Full screen stacked because they are already all the same size, and there is no way to change that without switching to User-defined. 3d render size is 0,0 because it is auto-fill (again I'll change the control)

What is the behaviour difference with Windows-focused window and ISBoxer-focused window?

Any method to activate a window that does not come from ISBoxer is coming from Windows. Alt+Tab, clicking on a window, etc -- these are things ISBoxer has no control over and will just happen over the course of playing. Likewise, ISBoxer-focused is any method that comes from ISBoxer -- in ISB1 that's the Slot Activate Hotkeys, Next/Previous window Hotkeys, etc. This is a more explicit way of describing the options in ISB1's "Swap Hot Character when ..." drop-down. An option containing "Always" in ISB1 is equivalent to including ISB2's "Windows-focused" option.

Multiple Active Region does what? I read the tool tip, but it doesn't leave me much wiser?

Well the tooltip isn't wrong, but it is easier to understand if you have some context ;) In ISB1 you could have 2 monitors and have 2 Swap Groups, which -- as I believe you know already -- swap independently of each other. (ISBoxer 2 doesn't have Swap Groups like ISB1, they are just implied by specifying different Active Regions.) So you might have something like, monitor 1 has an Edge layout for 5 windows and monitor 2 has an Edge layout for 5 windows, and then the question is whether you want both screens to possibly have an active window or not (e.g. 2 large and 8 small vs 1 large and 9 small). If not, then activating ANY region will deactivate ALL of the others including those on the other monitor. Otherwise, the idea would be to only swap on the monitor you activated one on. .. does that make more sense?

Tiled option has a full screen panel? Based on the other settings I assume this is the default render size (Reset Region), but as the other options don't show a different region when setting a custom 3d render size, I'm not sure.

They all should be getting a full screen panel actually. This is kind of a hidden feature at the moment until some more controls are added, and what you're seeing is probably leftover from when I originally tested this, but it is possible to push a window into an arbitrary Region (e.g. full screen) and pop it back later.

Any specific cases come to mind?

When you hit Finish, it doesn't save your profile. In ISB1 you could save at pretty much any point if it was valid (sometimes you had to finish certain config items). Save on Exit seems to be the only option now. That would be a major change to the workflow of load team, edit profile, save, export, check in game result, edit profile, save, export, check in game result, etc. If you get a crash after hitting Launch, or when you hit Edit after creating your new fancy profile, then it's gone, boom, start over.

File management is not entirely implemented yet, nor is config sharing. Launching is likely to auto-save first though, much like Exporting in ISB1 automatically saves. So far I've just been worrying about other pieces first.

Much appreciated guys, I'll get a new build with a bunch of this stuff adjusted.
<<

bob

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:11 pm

lax wrote:
No validation on Hotkeys or Key Combinations so you can set dumb things you can't press

ISBoxer 1 doesn't validate this either actually. The only difference is that ISB1 won't let you type in modifiers. Part of the reason for allowing this is to not destroy non-standard button information, for example I plug in my G13 and assign G13-G1, G13-G2, G13-G3 and so on, pull my profile and take it to my PC that has a logitech G510 and no G13. Now there is no G13-G1, so if validation occurs this must be destroyed and would no longer work for my G13. Or you paste in someone else's profile, you don't have their input devices, and then you can't view their keys because you don't have the same buttons. I'll probably do minimal validation for Hotkeys; Game Key Bindings can be validated more aggressively.
It may not, but if I try to set a hotkey or a key combination to "aasd" then it sets to <NOKEY> (at least I see a blank entry, and if I re-edit it, I get <NOKEY> as the selected hotkey/keycombination)

lax wrote:

I don't think I've specifically added any fading, this might be related to your Windows Theme. Either way I'm not certain what you're describing as "tickbox fade in/out" -- do you mean the whole popup when you click the "..." on a key picker?
The tickboxes in the grid view have a slight delay when you click to when the tick actually appears/disappears. This is not a general theme thing as I don't get it with other applications at all, so I figure it must be something with the control/theme that you are applying. It'll be interesting to see where this is actually coming from. If I was smart, I'd take a video of it so you could see what I see. I'll see if I can get something to illustrate it.

lax wrote:

After you click Add Character on a detected Character, that Character cannot be added a second time and "Add to Team" is grayed out. Adjusting any of the boxes at this time will adjust the Character that was just added, just as if you click it in the list at the bottom instead of the detected/existing list. So you add a toon, and now you want to add a similar toon manually by typing in the name box, but you don't want it to edit the Character you selected, you want a new one. Click Duplicate Character, the Add Team button becomes available and typing in any of the boxes updates a separate Character.
Ok. I get the why, but it still seems odd.. I can select the existing character, change some details, and then click on a different character and the details update, but the Add Character button is disabled.
If in fact the Add Character ALWAYS added a new character, and then if I selected an existing character, and moved off and it updates, then you don't need the duplicate character button. Because I could select an Existing character, change some details, hit Add, and then viola, new character. No need to hit the Duplicate button, and the old character was not updated because I hit the Add button, so the context changed. The Duplicate Character button is superfluous because the results can be achieved in a more intuitive way with the one Add Character button.

lax wrote:
not changing the order of the hotkeys/game bindings

They're in the same order already...? "Target Me" appears above IWT but IWT won't even show up for most games
The Game Key Bindings and the ISBoxer 2 Hotkey sections change positions on the form if I select In-game Macro-base Party List vs Slot-order Party List. Not the specific items themselves, but the whole category. Maybe one of those gif animations is required. I'd be learning some new skills there too :)

lax wrote:

I can't make that assumption for the WoW Addon -- a user may want to create their own follow/assist WoW Macros using the WoW Addon, and this may be the case for the other games as well. I can change this to a check box user-created vs ISBoxer 2-generated. It's rendering out an enum at the moment, and can't filter based on the selected game, so that's why you see the totally unnecessary extra info at the moment. I think a check box will work just fine though.
We may just be disagreeing on this one. I reckon you CAN make this assumption in the setup Wizard process, which is supposed to make it easy and make some decisions on your behalf. You CAN'T make the assumption if someone is setting up each module individually OUTSIDE the Wizard, although the context still matters in that case (you can't do Cryptic macros for WOW). Wizards are supposed to make stuff simple, and sometimes that just means making the decision for the user based upon the 99% of use cases (it's usually sold as 80/20 rule, but my experience shows that 99/1 rule is more likely).

lax wrote:

Hmmm it's dropping them off the edge of the screen for me even without customizing settings.
I'm guessing that means it is doing something unexpected? If not, it was not doing what I expected. On the other hand, you said the Layouts needed some work still :)

lax wrote:

Any method to activate a window that does not come from ISBoxer is coming from Windows. Alt+Tab, clicking on a window, etc -- these are things ISBoxer has no control over and will just happen over the course of playing. Likewise, ISBoxer-focused is any method that comes from ISBoxer -- in ISB1 that's the Slot Activate Hotkeys, Next/Previous window Hotkeys, etc. This is a more explicit way of describing the options in ISB1's "Swap Hot Character when ..." drop-down. An option containing "Always" in ISB1 is equivalent to including ISB2's "Windows-focused" option.
Ok, I understand that. In some ways I think you could probably just assume that if someone ALT+Tabs to a window then it should swap if they have selected a swapping setting. Certainly that is the behaviour I'd expect. Again, it may be one of those, provide the explicit option, but not in the Wizard. The Wizard should make the hard decisions for you, and prevent dithering over the "WTF does that mean?".

lax wrote:

Well the tooltip isn't wrong, but it is easier to understand if you have some context ;) In ISB1 you could have 2 monitors and have 2 Swap Groups, which -- as I believe you know already -- swap independently of each other. (ISBoxer 2 doesn't have Swap Groups like ISB1, they are just implied by specifying different Active Regions.) So you might have something like, monitor 1 has an Edge layout for 5 windows and monitor 2 has an Edge layout for 5 windows, and then the question is whether you want both screens to possibly have an active window or not (e.g. 2 large and 8 small vs 1 large and 9 small). If not, then activating ANY region will deactivate ALL of the others including those on the other monitor. Otherwise, the idea would be to only swap on the monitor you activated one on. .. does that make more sense?
It does. Again confusing though, and the Wizard is not the place for it. Maybe you need the basic setup wizard and the advanced super dooper wizard.

lax wrote:

Any specific cases come to mind?
I'll get back to you.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Ok. I get the why, but it still seems odd.. I can select the existing character, change some details, and then click on a different character and the details update, but the Add Character button is disabled.
If in fact the Add Character ALWAYS added a new character, and then if I selected an existing character, and moved off and it updates, then you don't need the duplicate character button. Because I could select an Existing character, change some details, hit Add, and then viola, new character. No need to hit the Duplicate button, and the old character was not updated because I hit the Add button, so the context changed. The Duplicate Character button is superfluous because the results can be achieved in a more intuitive way with the one Add Character button.

Currently the fields update directly when you move off of the edit control. If you add an existing Character from the top list, then click the Display Name field and change it and tab to the next field, the top and bottom lists immediately update with the new data. This is so that when you added your first toon but realize you forgot to set the battle.net e-mail, you can just click on it in the list and type in the box.

I can make it so that it only updates manually instead for this page (e.g. via Add Character and renaming to Edit Character if it's already added), although none of the other parts of ISBoxer 2 work like that, so it may feel inconsistent. (Which may
be fine for this case.)

Not the specific items themselves, but the whole category.

Oh, okay. I can usually fix that np (they are generated automatically from the code, sometimes object inheritance makes trying to rearrange them interesting).

Again confusing though, and the Wizard is not the place for it. Maybe you need the basic setup wizard and the advanced super dooper wizard.

This is a good point. I can add a toggle for "Show expert options ..." or something, and tie the visibility of a lot of these controls to it. That would be a simple way to dumb it down for everyone but retain absolute control for someone who might actually want it. This would exist both in and out of the wizard.
<<

bob

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:26 pm

lax wrote:Currently the fields update directly when you move off of the edit control. If you add an existing Character from the top list, then click the Display Name field and change it and tab to the next field, the top and bottom lists immediately update with the new data. This is so that when you added your first toon but realize you forgot to set the battle.net e-mail, you can just click on it in the list and type in the box.

My expectation is that if I select a row in the grid and it pops the details on the form, I can either edit the details in the form (or the cells) and then Update in a single hit (with an Update button or moving off the record), or I can hit Add, and I get a new record with the changes leaving the original selected unchanged.
If I've changed details whether via the cells or the form, and not Updated or hit Add, then I should be able to press ESC and it will clear the changes reverting the form to the original values (actually this can play havoc if you have set the ESC button as the Cancel control - like you've got - and you haven't got the active control chain configured correctly).

ATEOD it's your application, so the Duplicate button works, it's a little counter-intuitive (to me) because of the expectations I've got from prior record editing setups.

Brings me back to the lack of validation (did I say this before?), you can use the duplicate button to add the same record more than once. Same Character, Same Server, Same email, Same, Same, Same. That at the very least should be generating one of those annoying "Are you sure" messages. If you could make the options, "Yes I'm fucking sure; stupid program", and "Shit, NO", that would be great too - usually sums up what runs through my head when I see that :) (may not be good production values though).

EDIT:
I also forgot to mention. The Tab Order sucks. It sucked in ISB1 too. It might be considered a minor thing in the scheme of it (most people don't care), but certainly its one of those things that form input really requires. You have the doubly hard setup that controls appearing and disappearing will change the order so it requires a fair bit of manipulation to get right.

Edit2: I figured it out last night when I went to bed. I'm really expecting a record editor with the UI given, but you are giving me a cell editor. Cell editors usually don't have linked forms, record editors do.
<<

vecter

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:56 am

Distribution 5:

1. When in the CPU editing window if you hit back button and then forward you lose the CPU settings area. You have to select an option in order for the settings to show.
2. Suggestion: When selecting team have an area in the window that lists the characters associated with that team. I'm sure this is still a work in progress.
3. The last char to load still is being created as full screen and not the correct dimensions when using Edge layout and swap in-place selected. Not swapping in-place creates the 5 small windows at the bottom but does not activate any of them for Main.
4. Suggestion: When editing options in the team editor (after team is created and saved) have a status bar at the bottom that indicates settings changed/saved. There is really no indication that something gets changed.

Return to Alpha Discussion