FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Windows 10 Known issues

Moderator: MiRai

<<

lemartes99

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:50 am

Windows 10 Known issues

Ok game is pretty much unplayable now without CPU Management.

Are there any known issues with Windows 10, as enabling any kind of CPU strategy causes the game to spike at 100% and become unplayable. 1st Instance will load, but as soon as the second loads it's locks up solid.

This worked fine last time I played this game, with 4 Cores for the main, and 1 core for each clone.

The only way stuff will load now is all 5 instances with access to all 8 Cores, but it still maxes out a lot.
Lots of crashes as well.

Was there some changes to Neverwinter or ISBoxer that is causing this ? I will go back to Windows 8.1 if it's a Windows thing, but don't want to go through the trouble if it's caused by something else.

Please advise Lax, as I only play Neverwinter right now and it's seems incompatible with Innerspace for me. Same hardware played it fine 1.5 years ago. I submitted a few crash reports.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Re: Windows 10 Known issues

I have no idea what kind of things you're trying with CPU Management, but no there are no known issues like this with Windows 10. All windows using all CPU cores is generally expected to give best performance.

I don't know what CPU you have, but you're calling it 8 cores. If you're talking about a quad-core, hyperthreaded i7, then assigning "4 Cores for the main, and 1 core for each clone" is expected to give poor performance because 4 of the cores are not full CPU cores. There is quite a bit of discussion on quad-core hyperthreaded i7 CPUs in the Multiboxing Hardware section, specifically this sticky thread should be helpful: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1090. But basically, if you're making up your own CPU Strategy as described, or telling the CPU Strategy Wizard your CPU is not Hyperthreaded (if it really is) then I might expect the behavior you're describing.

As far as anything specific to either Windows 10 or Neverwinter on this question though my answer is no.
<<

lemartes99

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:26 pm

It's an AMD 8 Core.
Which I know isn't a true 8 core, but it worked fine before.

Something is up though, as splitting the cores in any way between the clients causes the game to completely lockup. If I change it to use all cores (While it is locked) it will start running again.

If it isn't Windows 10 I will keep testing different setups then.
<<

Ridosaw

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Here's my suggestion, if accepted.

Whenever multiboxing ANY Cryptic games using the Cryptic game engine, ALLWAYS and I mean ALLWAYS set the CPU affinity to ALL cores virtual or not for ALL slots.

Cryptics game engine from what I have been able to determine, is a console game engine retrofited to run on PC. The function of a PC mouse runs on a separate thread than the game does. :roll:

I have multiboxed both Neverwinter and Star Trek Online and this is always the case for me at least with these games.

Whenever I attempt to stray from that CPU affinity scheme it almost allways ends up with game clients barely making it to the character screen. :lol:

I have no experience with this on AMD at all. Just Intel only. Cryptics games are heavily CPU dependant no matter what flavor of CPU your using.

Did you perhaps forget to set the CPU to run at 100% at all time? Throttling can sure cause lag.

Ridosaw
<<

lemartes99

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Ya I see that Rido.

Thing is though, it used to work fine before (1.5 years ago) assigning cores.
After trying stuff all day though I have just come to the conclusion my computer cannot handle 5 instances now. I guess cryptic updated things while I was taking a break and the game is a little more demanding now.

Throughout the week as I get some time I will look into adding a laptop to run the 4 clones on. I have a newer one, Core i7, 16 GB Ram that should run the low res / low setting clones.

Lax, you can close this thread. There is no issue here, just my PC is too weak now.
<<

nodoze

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:23 am

Lemartes! Great to hear you may be getting going again!

IIRC the newer AMD 8cores are not 100% truely unique individual cores with no shared underlying components like the 1090T 6cores were but I believe they are still more real cores than Hyper-Thread cores are.

Did you apply ALL of the performance tuning recommendations in Sylver's threads? Applying those made a huge difference in my CPU & GPU utilization.
<<

lemartes99

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:05 am

Hey nodoze, hows it goin.

Ya I know AMD kinda sucks, it was able to cope before though.
I managed to get a decent overclock and everything runs smooth, but there is some weird issue that spikes the CPU to 100%. It's random though as I watched it happen just sitting in town.

I checked the neverwinter forums and other people experience this as well.

Hopefully I can get this sorted out, looking at adding a laptop to run the 4 slaves. Is it difficult to add a second computer to Isboxer ?

With the VIP system, 30$ a char would get my team 10,000 extra hit points. Would be really good and open up a lot of possibilities.

Return to Neverwinter