powerpc

Post Sat May 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Really bad FPS lag with ISboxer.

My computer is:

8GB ram
Galaxy Geforce GTX750
i5 2500K
All run on SSD

Both me and my friend were running 2 chars each for leveling, we got to 60 fine.

Now we are trying maps and we are getting raped down to 5FPS, screen freezes and even accounts getting disconnected.

Is there anything we can try?
<<

Shadowandlight

Post Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Really bad FPS lag with ISboxer.

i dont play POE, but are any of the game windows crossing multiple monitors by accident?

its a common cause of dropping FPS.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 pm

HOWTO: Tweak your framerate

If you still need suggestions after attempting thingsfrom the HOWTO, I need data from the "How to identify framerate bottlenecks" section of it.
<<

powerpc

Post Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Im only using one screen with my computer so its not that. I lowered my Res from 1680x1050 to 1280x960. It helped a little but isnt as significant as i need it (FPS still going to 10).

Gonna try more stuff and see where this goes.........
<<

cmoidudu

Post Sun May 12, 2013 2:12 am

It's probably a problem with your video card... You need to lower video parameters, such as antialiasing etc.

About memory, 8GB should be enough for only 2 clients... But maybe you are running out of memory with your SSD disk. Oddly enough, I noticed that Win7 was taking like 40GB out of the 80GB of one my SSD disks just for a virtual memory file... I'm running 2x80GB SSD, and no mechanical drives, so 40GB is 25% of my total disk space, ouch.

I forced the setting of this virtual memory file to 0, and everything works fine to me. I have 24GB RAM tho. Since then I never had any single crash or disconnection due to lag or framerate drop, which occured a lot some weeks ago. However, I know that GGG improved the game client performance in the meantime. I can still have some lag when meeting some specific monsters, but it's due to bad programming of animation. There might be some incompatibilty with GeForce cards too, which you have and I have. I read something about that on GGG forums.
<<

powerpc

Post Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 pm

This is my open hardware report:

http://pastebin.com/0vLs36mv

Today i was testing in Docks with 3 clients only (just me so there wasnt 6 people in party)... I was mostly able to run it but a few encounters actually still brought me down to 5FPS and one encounter disconnected one of my clients. This is running 1280x960 which i kind of feel is the lowest resolution playable.

Each PoE is using 1.5GB ram (i have 8..) and CPU usage doesnt seem to go high at all. I guess its graphics related. Game is on at: No shadows, AA off, texture quality "medium" (medium and high are only selections), texture filtering trilinear, and post processing off.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun May 12, 2013 1:28 pm

I have to disagree with your assessment. From your log you appear to be CPU-bound:

CPU Load:
| +- CPU Core #1 : 30.7692 21.5385 100 (/intelcpu/0/load/1)
| +- CPU Core #2 : 35.3846 11.9403 100 (/intelcpu/0/load/2)
| +- CPU Core #3 : 100 18.4615 100 (/intelcpu/0/load/3)
| +- CPU Core #4 : 7.69231 0 66.1539 (/intelcpu/0/load/4)

GPU Load:
| +- GPU Core : 18 0 61 (/nvidiagpu/0/load/0)

Your GPU Core says that it topped out at 61% in use, so at its most difficult moment it was barely working itself more than halfway.
Your CPU Cores indicate that 3 of them topped out at 100% and actually one at 66%. One of the cores is 100% in use at the time of the snapshot.

I am curious as to why your 4th core is underutilized while your 3rd core is maxed. I would recommend using the CPU Strategy Wizard to assign all CPU cores to all windows, particularly if the wizard defaulted to Round-Robin for you.
<<

powerpc

Post Sun May 12, 2013 6:24 pm

http://pastebin.com/9gf3RMVG

New pastebin. I did what you said and used the wizard to change it to use all cores for all instances. That coupled with figuring out how to remove some particle effects has made the game almost playable now. I can feel that I am close. According to the new openhardware report im still hitting 100% CPU on all cores.

Is an i5 2500k really not enough? :? Or are there other little tweaks I can do?
<<

powerpc

Post Sun May 12, 2013 6:35 pm

With the same tweaks I did (less particle effects and the CPU management change) my friend is actually playable now. He has 16GB ram, same i5 processor and a video card that is half as good.

So the only positive difference he has to my set up is twice the ram but, each client is only using 1.5Gig so I dont know.
<<

powerpc

Post Sun May 12, 2013 7:20 pm

I have attempted to lower the texture quality via the games Ini. Basically it makes the game look like a potato. Even with that still hitting 100% cpu... what the actual fuck. Just incase anyone was wondering, no, there is not cpu throttling going on.

I tried hyperthreading on/off in cpu strategy, seems to make no difference.
I attempted the other posters idea of turning off my virtual paging, no difference
I changed window layouts to a few different styles. "Single monitor layout" vs "Single moniter corner layout" seemed to be a little better for awhile, but then some fights got just as bad or worse so i dont know if theres any difference there. If there is, it is a very small one.

-Side note, Is there a way to do the stacked window layout with different resolutions on each poe? For example the front one would be using a playable resolution, and the 2 background instances would use something unplayable like 800x600, only there if i need to switch out and resync.... I figure if I could do this, then the 2 really bad resolution PoE's would leave enough processing power for me to have no fps issue anymore....
Next

Return to Path of Exile