FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Diablo 3 Performance normal or bad setup?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Bassen

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:44 am

Diablo 3 Performance normal or bad setup?

Hey

I'm just wondering about my current 4-player ISboxer setup if it's running "normally" or if anything might be wrong setup.

Before we begin these are my computer specifications:

Intel i7-2600k @ 4.3GHz stable OC with Corsair H80 Water cooling system with the original fans replaced by 2x Cougar Vortex 120mm fans

EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB Superclocked @
Core Voltage(mV) +15,
Power Limit % MAX 106,
Core clock(MHz) +60,
Memory Clock (MHz) 110+
(MSI Fireburner settings)
and manual setup fan speed curve with a very steep setup to 100% fanspeed very rapidly if the temp goes above 50C
- Stable OC

8GB Ram

1TB Samsung Evo 840 SSD - with updated firmware fixes

2x BenQ XL2720Z 144Hz Monitors and 1x 32" Samsung TV

ISboxer settings:

Window Layout: Single monitor layout on \\.\DISPLAY3 (Swapping,Avoid Taskbar) <---- On my 2nd BenQ screen

2-3-4
------------

CPU strategy:

Maximum Framerate has been set to:

Background: 20 FPS
Foreground: 30 FPS

The above setting is what I have used to all CPU settings I've tried

I have tried
Select all CPUs with every window (HyperThreading) (FPS 30/20) (slots per core 4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4) (cores per slot 8/8/8/8)
Round-robin balancing (HyperThreading) (Dedicate CPU 1) (FPS 30/20) (slots per core 1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1) (cores per slot 2/2/2/2)

And disabled FPS Limiter in Inner Space

Diablo settings

Fullscreen Windowed
800x600
All settings set to Lowest or off
Low FX - on
AA - off
Letterbox - off

Max Foreground FPS: 30
Max Background FPS: 20

These are my settings and my results with 4 player setup in a normal rift is between 12-18 FPS foreground and never reaches 30 FPS unless its in town or ingame menu. CPU sits at 90-100% load and GPU at 50-60% load.

Are these results normal? Or should I be looking at upgrading my CPU?

I'd be grateful for any info or advice if you have any

Bassen
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Diablo 3 Performance normal or bad setup?

In addition to CPU usage, you also have to look at RAM usage (the Task Manager shows this information). At the settings and resolution you say you're using, D3 eats up ~1.1GB of RAM on my computer after wandering around a hub for a few minutes. So, that's ~4.5GB of RAM being used by the game just walking around, and potentially more if you're fighting a bunch of enemies with spells being thrown in every direction, which means we might assume it eats even more than what I'm seeing. Add an additional 2GB of RAM for the OS, and you can see that you may also be running out of memory.

So, if you're going to upgrade your CPU, then you'll probably also want 16GB of RAM for 4-boxing Diablo III.
<<

Bassen

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Between 6.5-7.1 GB out of 7.9 GB RAM being used.

EDIT: But even if I do upgrade to let's say an Intel i7 6700K 4.0GHz and getting DDR4 16GB ram. Would it be possible to get a stable 30 FPS on the main window with that kind of setup? Most of the benchmarks showing 24/7 OC 6700k have about 15-20% increase of performance of the OC 2600k. And what about the GPU, is there any setting to increase the % load so it works more at 90-100% instead of just 50-60% if it can help getting workload off the RAM/CPU?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Bassen wrote:Between 6.5-7.1 GB out of 7.9 GB RAM being used.

EDIT: But even if I do upgrade to let's say an Intel i7 6700K 4.0GHz and getting DDR4 16GB ram. Would it be possible to get a stable 30 FPS on the main window with that kind of setup? Most of the benchmarks showing 24/7 OC 6700k have about 15-20% increase of performance of the OC 2600k. And what about the GPU, is there any setting to increase the % load so it works more at 90-100% instead of just 50-60% if it can help getting workload off the RAM/CPU?

Unfortunately, there is no math equation where we can input computer hardware and spit out a number of frames that someone can expect to be getting--there are just way too many variables. If you don't feel that moving to a newer, quad-core CPU is going to help you, then I guess the next logical step is going to be to move to a hexa-core, or an octa-core from Intel.

Of course, once you remove the CPU/RAM as a bottleneck, then the GPU has to do more work because you'll be getting more FPS, but again, this is not an exact science and knowing how much more load is going to be put on the GPU is something you won't know until you get to that point. In theory, if you double your framerate, then you can expect that the load on your GPU is going to double, as well.
<<

Bassen

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:38 pm

I've ordered some more RAM and hopefully it will take some load off the CPU in order to make some difference :) Thanks for the information given and I'll report back if I get a performance boost of some sort.

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected