FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Performance bottlebeck - ram, cpu or gpu?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

mrp

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:21 am

Performance bottlebeck - ram, cpu or gpu?

Hi, currently running a 3x multibox setup in d3. I do this on a n I7/nvidia 860m/16gb ram. This on a 13" laptop.

I'm thinking of upgrading, but curious what is likely to be the key bottleneck in my current setup to get better performance? I presume it's the gpu...?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:30 am

Re: Performance bottlebeck - ram, cpu or gpu?

We usually point people to this page, http://www.isboxer.com/wiki/HOWTO:Tweak_your_framerate as it has info on identifying bottlenecks.

Keeping in mind that the usual culprits are cpu/gpu, you may also include disk I/O as one that has popped up recently.
You can also have FPS slowdowns even on fantastic hardware because it is not always a hardware issue. Sometimes it is software related. Sometimes it is even because people have overlooked the fact that some games have FPS limiters built in.
<<

mrp

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks Bob. I have a pretty slick ssd, and d3 doesn't access the disk a lot other than between maps. I'll check out that page as well. I turn off d3 fps framerate limiters when I play in any case, so its almost certainly cpu or gpu, I'm just not sure which one.

If its he cpu, then upgrading g the laptop doesn't make sense, as the new cpu isn't a lot more powerful than my e listing one. By contrast, the new gpu setup would be a material step up.
<<

mrp

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:35 pm

Ok, I ran a few hardware monitors, and although cpu temps hit into the 90s, cpu usage is typically around 80% in heavy d3 gaming. GPU usage hits 99% regularly (albeit at lower temps). Seems like, as expected, GPU is the bigger bottleneck when multiboxing in D3 in my case. Thanks again for the tips bob.
<<

Kicksome

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 pm

I just thought I'd throw this out there, since it may help at some point.

Although this doesn't really seem likely with your setup, it also might also be related to the class you're playing.

I used to play 4xWizards but they lagged too much from the network side - so many attacks like ice whirlwinds or something. i.e. the server was too slow responding to all the things going on the screen - I used a network monitor and noticed a bunch of bulk UDP requests when it happened. I'm also starting to get lag on whirlwind barbs as well. There is so much going on, that D3 can't seem to handle things from a network side sometimes. There were a lot of posts about it on dual-boxing.com and d3 forums as well.

You get long pauses then sort of a "fast forward" effect at times - then you are dead all the sudden.

I'm also using a titan X, 8/16 core i7 processor, 64 gigs of ram and fios. So I know it's not due to my system.

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected