FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

4x minimap on 1 window tutorial request

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Maverick

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:39 am

Re: 4x minimap on 1 window tutorial request

Yeah it was on always on, I thought I was supposed to set the target to the character slot of the dxnothing? Didn't try it with the window:all or window:current schema. Just the Character slot 4(dxnothing) as the target.

Here is my paste file if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.privatepaste.com/46b1062cb9

Didn't format it or anything. Appreciate all your help. Just a note: I tried the 2nd step with always on top- On (unchecked) and always on top- Off ( Checked); got same results.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:53 am

I can't see anything particularly special as to why it wouldn't work, without you being on the window, but I guess it is because you already have another window in the foreground, and you need to almost force it back.

So I would try:
1. Switch to Foreground, I'd try forcing the other windows to the background (step 1 only)
2. Set to a Normal Swap, rather than Instant (both step 1 and step 2)
3. Potentially change the order of the actions (step 1 only)

Other than that, you'll need MiRai or someone who actually has configured this to chime in with specifics.
<<

Maverick

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:32 pm

Ok I tried what you said. This is interesting...I use the hotkey that's set (Shift+A) and it doesn't appear on my primary window, but when I tab to my next d3 client it shows up there, and when I tab back it is also on the primary. Additionally, no matter how many times I press the hotkey after the first, it will always execute only one instance of the hotkey press on the next window( the second d3 client, and then the primary window again when I tab back). Once I switch to the next window, I can press the hotkey again to start the next step of the mapped key.

So it looks like it does in fact switch to the foreground/background(on any of the d3 client windows) without me opening up the dxnothing window, however it doesn't show up on the primary(full screen 1st monitor) unless I tab out and tab back in again. What could be the explanation for that? I'll try playing with it some more.
<<

Maverick

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:55 am

Well I'm glad I got this far, it is pretty intensive and can be annoying for a first timer to do this. If I could just figure out why the toggle isn't working unless I switch windows first, then I would be set I think. Mirai do you have any ideas as to what could be the issue or anyone else? This is really bugging me. Thanks in advance
<<

bob

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:17 am

It is good you have persevered with this.

After having a go myself (I don't need D3 to test the theory), I've found the same as you. in that it doesn't seem to want to adhere to the window setting changes unless some other action takes place, like a switch character. To this end you can use a Window Focus action for the initial display of the dxNothing window.
This does mean that the focus will now be on the DXNothing window, rather than the character you were playing, but this is just a click away.

However I've not been able to make it go to the background, even with putting in a Window Focus action to bring up a specific slot. I suspect this is because the order of actions is not guaranteed, so I'm fairly sure I'm getting things happening in a slightly different order to what I want, and it is likely that because I've got windows focussing other windows (which can be complicated because Windows itself generally discourages this kind of action), and as such, I may also be loosing track of which window has the current focus, and the mapped key may be at a different state in the current window.

I could add some mapped key step actions and have another step to control focus in the mapped key to deal with this.

MiRai did allude to issues with the focussing/always on top stuff not always working right, it requiring him to muck around when it decided not to work.

I'm thinking that it is all starting to get a bit complicated, and it would be far easier in the long run to forgo the DXNothing window, and rather just display and hide the videoFX viewers themselves over the client window.

This works nicely for this process; I get a Press and Hold to display, Release to hide action going. Lets me view all the mini maps. All mini maps behave as per the dxNothing setup but without the pain of Always On Top stuff not working.

What I don't get out of it; is a potentially black surround for the collated mini maps, the minimaps always being in the exact same place. These don't matter though do they?.
I could get something similar by using the borders of the videoFX viewers, except you can't specify the width of these (feature request!) and the fact that the borders are off by 1 pixel on the top/left. So instead to get a border, I could use a menu button, or a click bar that pops up behind the viewers. The minimap for the current character will always be top right, and the viewers for the others will effectively rotate depending on the current character - I'd use a normal rotation so that doesn't matter, but you can also use menus or click bars to solve that by labelling or watermarking the minimaps.

This all does take a little more perseverance to get right though, and would truly benefit from creating the videofx source/viewer setup via Mapped Keys.
<<

Maverick

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 am

A lot of that went straight over my head, but good to know you tried it yourself and ran into similar issues. I did in fact do the 4 square videofx viewer thing directly onto the top right section of the main client before I attempted the dxnothing box, but then I realized I couldn't hide all 4 viewers on a switch. Now you're saying there is a way to hide those viewers on command? How do you go about doing that? Another mapped key setup? For me, I wouldn't use a press and hold to display as I need them on through the majority of the run except when I need to open my inventory/friends list/anything the minimap area would cover. Could I set a hotkey to hide/display all 4 at the same time?

I'm pretty sure 4 viewers of equal sized positioned the same way on the minimap would open to the same spots when the clients restart? Not 100% sure but just watching the Mirai tutorials I saw him saving and loading the videofx sources/viewers.
<<

bob

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:50 am

There are a couple of ways to do this.
First things though. I believe that the minimap in D3 is permanently on display for the given character. You should have this in the same place for every character. If this is not the case, then you may need an extra step or two.

But, to answer your question, in the character set, slot (the numbers 1 to xx) you can set the "Do this Mapped Key" which will fire when you switch to that character. That mapped key map be configured to hide or show the videoFX viewers on any of the slots.

On the character set, you can also have another mapped key for "Perform this Mapped Key when the Character Set is loaded or reloaded".

I assume you have 3 characters based on your previous profile (otherwise my numbers will be out).

Between the two of these, you can end up with a few mapped keys which will on loading of the character set, create some videofx sources and video fx viewers for these sources (the viewers you will want to create individually for each window as the location will change (well this is true if my above statement re: fixed location for D3 minimap holds true). As part of this you will need to have 3 actions to creation the videofx sources each action will target a specific slot. you will then need 6 actions to create the videofx viewers. These viewers will only be for the video fx sources of the other slots. i.e. if you are targeting slot 1, you create viewers for minimap slot 2 and minimap slot 3. You don't create a viewer for the current slot (the target) as you cannot have a viewer of a source from the current window.

As VideoFX viewers aren't displayed when the game window is not foreground there is nothing that you really need to do when you switch. They will turn off automatically.

Now you may want a mapped key to make sure the current on the current window are not hidden. This would go in the Slot specific "Do this mapped key" option. Essentially it will do the same as step 2 in the next mapped key.

And finally a mapped key which you can use to toggle the viewers off and on for the current window. As we know the viewers will always be visible on switch, then it is a 2 stepper. Step one should use a video fx action to Hide the viewers on Window:Current (you will need to have 3 actions, 1 for each potential viewer on the current window), and step two should show all 3 viewers. As each window will really only have 2 viewers, the 3rd action that is not applicable wont do anything.

Ok. A lot of detail I know, and it is probably a little confusing. I will try and get the steps together with some pictures and post again. It just wont be today.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:19 am

Back when I initially created the overlays Lax told me that I should be forcing whatever I want to be on top to foreground (and always on top). So, if I wanted the dxN windows on top I should be forcing those to foreground and choosing to make it always on top, likewise if I wanted to "hide" the dxN regions I should be forcing Region 1 to be foreground and always on top. I know it might sound odd, but it seemed to work and I could still swap between my clients while the dxN windows were hidden. However, sometimes Region 1 or the dxN regions would get stuck on top of everything else regardless of what the toggle was telling the layout to do, so this is where a reload of the Character Set was required -- There was no rhyme or reason why sometimes this would happen.

I don't know if you're going to continue to pursue the original setup, but I found a video from over 6 months ago on what the setup looked like - http://youtu.be/BaJaq1qzIUk
<<

Maverick

Post Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:44 am

Great stuff... I think I got it done. I was going to try hopping to the direct to client window method, but then I tried Mirai's suggestion for double foreground instead of foreground/background and that did the trick. Funny how that works seeing both should be doing the same thing. And that video you showed me was interesting in that all 4 of those minimap windows on top right have clear equal quality/resolution whereas I am getting crappy quality on feeds of my two other characters. I read somewhere this is because of a resolution thing, but I don't quite understand how that works. I would post a screenshot but the overlay doesn't get taken in the screenie. How do you get those 4 clear minimaps? Also, what are your other clients max FPSs set at? Mines at 30, just so I can get higher FPS on main.

And yeah I'm getting the same issue where I can't toggle outside the game clients once either of the two steps have been activated. Really tricky to get out of.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:41 am

Maverick wrote:And that video you showed me was interesting in that all 4 of those minimap windows on top right have clear equal quality/resolution whereas I am getting crappy quality on feeds of my two other characters. I read somewhere this is because of a resolution thing, but I don't quite understand how that works. I would post a screenshot but the overlay doesn't get taken in the screenie. How do you get those 4 clear minimaps?

All of the Regions in your Window Layout which house a game client need to be the same size.

http://isboxer.com/wiki/FAQ#Why_does_my ... quality.3F

Maverick wrote:Also, what are your other clients max FPSs set at? Mines at 30, just so I can get higher FPS on main.

In that video they would have been all set to 60 FPS.
PreviousNext

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected