FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Few Questions...

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Pearl43

Post Wed May 09, 2012 11:25 am

Few Questions...

I've been using my trial of ISBoxer to play Diablo 3 and i thought id ask a few questions before i buy the full version.

I own 3 6950's, and when using Isboxer only 1 GPU is being used. Ive tried extended display/eyefinity setup, full screen,fullscreen windowed, and windowed, and different combinations of Display setup in ISBoxer - and nothing will get the other GPUs to kick in. The first GPU (when playing 4 characters) sits at 100%. If there is anyway, any combination to get the others to work, it would help with my frames a lot. (Without Isboxer, Diablo 3 uses each GPU at around 30-35% each.)

Second question, For extra performance, am i able to make my 3 smaller screens (Which i'll have on my left display monitor) a lower resolution than my main full screen? (I have 3 24" monitors, i want my Main (Center) screen full 1920x1080) - Also is it possible to make the less important/smaller screens have lower graphics than the main screen? (for a performance increase).

Thats about it. Thanks in advance :D
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed May 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Few Questions...

It depends on your Window Layout, and how your GPUs are (or are not) linked together via SLI/Crossfire. See GPU Management. For performance tips, see HOWTO: Tweak your framerate.

I'm GUESSING that you have your 6950's in Crossfire mode, and are comparing one full screen instance of Diablo 3 without ISBoxer (using all 3 GPUs), to 4 windowed instances of Diablo 3 (and it ends up using 1 of the GPUs). This is discussed in the GPU Management article, under "SLI and Crossfire modes". The first thing I would do is check for driver a update, because whether or not Crossfire works in windowed mode is a driver thing. The article also recommends to disable Vertical Sync, so if that's enabled in the game, turn it off and that may correct the problem. Past that, see the framerate tweaking article ;) Catalyst Control Center can also be closed, or you can try disabling Catalyst AI (I think the name changed... it's something about application-specific profiles)

If you want more assistance with your GPUs, be specific as to what monitor is plugged into what card and whether you have Crossfire enabled, and show me your ISBoxer config HOWTO: Share your configuration for better support.

And yes, it is possible to have different graphics settings in each window, using a Virtual File for the game's graphics settings file. For Diablo 3 that is "D3Prefs.txt", here's how to do it:
1. In the top left pane in ISBoxer, right click Virtual Files and select New Virtual File
2. This created a Virtual File that is literally named "New Virtual File". Right click that and select Rename, and type in, or paste, "D3Prefs.txt" with no quotes.
3. Under Virtual Files in the top left pane, select (highlight) D3Prefs.txt, so you see it come up for editing in the bottom left pane
4. Drag (but do not select/highlight) Characters from the top left pane under Characters, to the bottom left pane under Characters. Each one will automatically get its own filename to replace D3Prefs.txt
5. Export to Inner Space.
You can then change any of the settings in the game on a per-window basis, and you will have files in My Documents\Diablo III for each of your ISBoxer "Characters" that you can manually edit.

That should help. :)
<<

Pearl43

Post Wed May 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Few Questions...

Hey mate, thanks for the info. My trial just ran out so i cant test anything till i get the full version (soon, very soon).
Good to hear i can change Graphics settings for each instance running, that will help enormously.Running 4 instances with everything on Low only used about 85% of 1 GPU and was very playable.
I'm still keen to mess around with whatever it takes to get all 3 GPUs running with 4 instances. I did have Crossfire Enabled, but i didnt have eyefinity setup (Extended only). and i have all monitors plugged into the one card. So basically, Disable Crossfire, Attach a monitor to each card, and that should balance the load over each monitor?

Thanks for everything.

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected