FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

mouse repeater scaling misaligned

Moderator: MiRai

<<

eon

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:24 am

mouse repeater scaling misaligned

I have a main window at 1920 x 1080 and other windows at 960 x 540. The virtual cursors in the other windows align with each other, but they are a few pixels off from the main window.

To give an idea of how many pixels off, the Diablo 3 esc menu buttons are fat enough for everything to click at once, but the arrow buttons for next skill category page on the skills menu are small enough that I have to turn off repeater and click them individually.

This causes my characters to gradually spread out as I move them.

Yesterday, before I plugged in my second monitor, I had all windows at 960 x 540. It had the same cursor offset problem, though maybe not as bad. Maybe with the same resolutions using the repeater option besides scaling it would have been fine, but I really want to use 1920 x 1080 and 960 x 540.

Unimportant side question: is it possible to set the mouse repeater offsets to match a character formation, letting them all aim at the same point in game?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:29 am

Re: mouse repeater scaling misaligned

What build of Inner Space are you on? To find out, hover your mouse cursor over the IS icon in the system tray.

If you are on build 5578 or earlier of Inner Space, this is currently the live build of Inner Space, and has known cursor positioning issues with Diablo 3 (and other games).

If you are on build 5593 or later of Inner Space, the known cursor positioning issues with Diablo 3 have been solved.

For this thread it is very important that we establish which version of Inner Space you're on, because if it's 5576 the answer might be to just switch to the development build of Inner Space and report back if it is corrected. (Close game instances, then right click IS, select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches", then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up).

If you ARE on build 5593 or later of Inner Space, and having this issue, then I will see what I can do. It SOUNDS like you're on build 5578. Let me know for certain and we'll go from there :)
<<

eon

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 am

build 5594
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Okay. Thanks for that.

First of all, let me get this out of the way so there's no misunderstandings about how it should behave. You may already realize this.

When the game is configured in different resolutions as you say you have it, there are more pixels (75% more) in the main window than in the other windows. If your mouse is at position 1,1 in your main window, the exact location in the others should be 0.5,0.5. This is impossible because cursor positioning, in Windows, is given as integers (whole numbers). So 1,1 in window 1 might be 0,0 or 1,1 (or 1,0 or 0,1) in the other windows. There is no perfect placement of the mouse because the equivalent pixels do not exist, because they have been purposefully removed.

You can avoid this problem by having the windows at the same resolution. They can be at 1920x1080 and displayed at 960x540, for example, which will give you perfect mouse broadcasting. But the text in those windows (while being displayed scaled down) will be difficult/impossible to read. You're not likely to get both perfect mouse broadcasting, and perfectly readable text, at different resolutions.

The game may also choose different UI positioning due to having a smaller resolution. So IS and ISBoxer might be doing everything 100% correctly in the best possible way it can, but if the game doesn't line them up at exactly the same position at the different scale, then it's not going to work like that.

With all of that said, I'll see what I can reproduce
<<

eon

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:24 pm

I just noticed a 4 page thread on the same topic. Sorry, maybe I should not have made a new thread.

Diablo 3 does not let you set the resolution in game in windowed mode; you resize the window by dragging the corner or with ISBoxer. I will try using fullscreen for a moment to set all the resolutions to 1920 x 1080 and then have ISBoxer scale it down. 960 x 540 is not among the resolution choices in game. Is there a config file where I can set any resolution? Should I add a 960 x 540 option for the monitor in nvidia control panel?

It is okay if the UI is misaligned. I want all the characters to move the same distance and direction.

Thanks!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:34 pm

ISBoxer will try to configure the resolution depending on your Window Layout. You can usually (depending on your Window Layout; I do not know how yours is configured) sync the resolution to your main window's resolution by enabling Instant Swapping in your Window Layout (then Export and re-launch).

You can also try setting the game to full screen mode instead of windowed. ISBoxer will force it windowed, but the game will think it's in full screen mode and it will operate differently -- usually including the ability to set the resolution.
<<

eon

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Fixed!

TLDR: Everything you need to know to fix it is in the first 2 short paragraphs. The rest is about the cause.

Setting fullscreen mode in game fixed the alignment, but then the text was unreadable in the smaller windows like people talked about in other threads. Same deal with "fullscreen windowed". Turning instant swap on made no difference, so I turned it back off.

I had been in plain windowed mode before. If I go to fullscreen windowed and then back to windowed, the alignment stays fixed. If I had also set the resolution to 1280 x 720 (the lowest 16:9 option), then the text is readable.

Another thread explains that you need to virtualize D3Prefs.txt to save settings per box. Here are some relevant options from it:

DisplayModeWindowMode "2"
DisplayModeWinWidth "1920"
DisplayModeWinHeight "1080"
DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1280"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "720"
DisplayModeWidth "1920"
DisplayModeHeight "1080"

That is what my 960 x 540 windows have now. I tried setting all of them to 960 x 540. ISBoxer or fullscreen windowed made WinWidth, WinHeight, Width, Height go back to 1920, 1080. UIOpt of 960, 540 stayed, but it made the in game resolution go to 800 x 600 (the lowest option) with unreadable text. DisplayModeWindowMode "2" means fullscreen windowed. "1" means windowed. The above settings work fine. The 1920 x 1080 window has it all at 1920, 1080.

Here are the settings from when I had the alignment problem, preserved because I set it up to quad box and I have been only using 3:
DisplayModeWindowMode "1"
DisplayModeWinWidth "960"
DisplayModeWinHeight "627"
DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1280"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "720"
DisplayModeWidth "952"
DisplayModeHeight "600"

I bet the differences between 960 and 952 and between 627 and 600 and 540 are related to the size of the window border (I use the old Windows XP style). The cursor repeater was scaled to something slightly different than 960 x 540. Most of the error was vertical, and it was worse the farther away the cursor was from center.
<<

eon

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:47 pm

I count my top window borders about 26 pixels and side, bottom borders 4 pixels. On second thought that is Windows 98 style. That accounts for 960 - 952 = 4 + 4. Maybe it accounts for 627 - 600 ~ 26 + 4. Maybe 540 --> 600 is because Diablo 3 does not expect anything lower than 800 x 600.

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected