FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

extremely slow multiple window launch

Moderator: MiRai

<<

qwertex

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:37 am

extremely slow multiple window launch

IS build 5575, latest isboxer. d3 settings turned to minimum

When launching D3 betas, having set up 4 windows to launch, the first instance of the game takes about three minutes to launch, the second about 2, the third about 5, with a long period of grey window up, and the fourth forever. the windows themselves look to be running fine, it's the launching which appears to be the problem. i've tried moving the cpu config between individual cores and all processes using all cores.

I've noticed that downloading the is development test patch 5575 significantly slows down the launch of the first window - the first window launches fairly quickly on the default release build. on the default release build, the "diablo 3 checking for updates" pop up is pretty much instant, takes thirty seconds to a minute to go away on 5575.

my cpu usage is near 30% and memory usage near 65%

http://www.privatepaste.com/fbbdc13fb6 config
<<

Mahther

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:09 am

Re: extremely slow multiple window launch

D3 has been slow to launch for me in all of the builds. I assume it will improve with time since we are still in the development stages.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 am

I'm aware it takes forever and a day to launch a team with this game; keep in mind this is beta, support was only recently introduced, and it will take time to iron out all the kinks! ;)

I will be working on loading performance; thanks for posting about the issue (it's important that we get all of the issues reported so we can be sure they are taken care of)
<<

ever1ast

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am

Noticed the same thing, after some tweaking with CPU allocation my times are much better. Down to 4min 40sec total to launch all 4 instances. A drop of over 2 min from other configs I've tried, including all cores on all instances and shared cores among slave instances.

May just be my case launching them from a revodrive3x2 though, but it's worth trying either way.

On my i7 (hex-core) my configuration looked like:
Main window: CPU 1-6
Box 2: CPU 7-8
Box 3: CPU 9-10
Box 4: CPU 11-12

Running a stacked configuration with all windows at 2560x1600. Main windows averages 55fps on high settings, have the rest limited to 20
Also using virtuilized D3Prefs and Cache
<<

qwertex

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've sorted mine - 4 windows launch in 6mins 30 on a Plextor SSD, Penom II x4 460 Geforce. I've gone with the default round robin CPU setup.

I've noticed the load times (time on grey screen especially) seemed to improve vastly when I launch with 4 equal sized windows rather than a setup of 1 large 3 small. -EDIT: i was imagining this part

I've also noticed turning off the swap file helps a lot (although I currently only have 4gb of ram, this will be remedied on Friday).

The biggest difference has been made by pointing InnerSpace to Diablo III.exe rather than to Diablo III Beta Launcher.exe. When I am pointing to the launcher exe, I've never been able to launch 4 windows. 3 came up, slowly, no sign of the 4th one even trying. Pointing to the exe directly still pops up the bliz launcher window every time but the 4 instances start fine.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by qwertex on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Mahther

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:31 pm

I have 8 gigs of ram and when I multiboxed EQ1 without a swap file I was running out of memory. I don't know if D3 would have the same problem but I'm doubling my ram just in case.
<<

qwertex

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:57 pm

I just ordered 16GB (4x4) Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport CL9 (9-9-9-24) for £59 with delivery, which is less than $100. Laughable price. I'm in the US in a couple of weeks I may get a 680 as they are significantly cheaper there and ebay my 460, which is an excellent card but I can't imagine it will be enough to power 4 windows spread onto a 1920 x 1080 screen.

Either way, happy to see this is running!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Inner Space 5578 (development) should fix Diablo 3 loading performance. :)
<<

Yelgis

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Dude, Lax that is amazing! I just tried out the new build after reading your post and it is awesome my load time went from about 4-5 mins for 4 copies to under a minute.

Very nice work on that.

I am new to ISboxer and Innerspace, but this kind of support is definately making me consider a purchase. I was on the fence about boxing in D3 and having to do it in VM clients like VMware and its kin. Now though I am very much considering dropping to money on 4 copies and your software instead of just going single like I was leaning towards.

Really appreciate what you are doing here.
<<

Mahther

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 am

Aye, when I tell people I don't know how I boxed before Innerspace they don't realize how serious I am. lol
Next

Return to Diablo Series Diablo 3, Diablo Immortal, Diablo II Resurrected